Facebook to Build its Own Data Centers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Facebook, with 750 million users, a new Skype video chat and an ever increasing amount of data sharing, has reached the point of building its own data centers rather than leasing. Mark Zuckerberg announced this week that Facebook would be doing exactly that. The idea has been kicked around all year, but with recent additional resources being added, it has now become a priority.

Facebook's data center plans could also be a big economic boom for the locations where those data centers will eventually be built.

Well I say let Facebook build it's DCs when it all comes to a crashing halt... maybe then the DCs can be used for something actually useful? Why not let a company build them, then sell them cheap later for a company that might not be able to afford one new?

Thanks in part to my multiple accounts, forgotten usernames, they now have 750 million "users".

He's putting one of these data centers in central Oregon, where, along with the golf courses and high end resorts, it will suck up needed water and generally pollute the environment it occupies. What a waste for crap like facebook.

What will happen when facebook dies then?

A data center can be used for more than just Facebook. Even if the fad dies, Zuckerberg could use his fame for promoting his data centers to companies and home customers and perhaps game servers.

I think this is a good insurance move for Zuckerberg. He's thinking long term.

He's putting one of these data centers in central Oregon, where, along with the golf courses and high end resorts, it will suck up needed water and generally pollute the environment it occupies. What a waste for crap like facebook.

Um, it's a data center, not a coal mine.

I won't be caught dead defending facebook, but your comment cracks me up. You seriously worried about the environmental impact of a datacenter? Well, Zuck does like to kill is own meat. lol

I won't be caught dead defending facebook, but your comment cracks me up. You seriously worried about the environmental impact of a datacenter? Well, Zuck does like to kill is own meat. lol

Should we scare him off?

Hey mwallek, [H] is hosted at a data center! Run! :eek:

It's located in Prineville Oregon which PacifiCorp is supplying the power. Greenpeace complains because PacifiCorp uses coal for electricity generation which is plentiful here in the United States. Who cares what Facebook does, if they want a datacenter, they're going to build one without your say-so.

If Zukerberg thinks Facebook is going to last forever then he has no idea how the internet really works. As soon as someone comes up with a better product than Facebook they will flock to that.

If Zukerberg thinks Facebook is going to last forever then he has no idea how the internet really works. As soon as someone comes up with a better product than Facebook they will flock to that.

Pretty sure he knows that. Like someone else said, once FB is gone he can use those data centers for something else. Rent them out maybe, he obviously isn't stupid and will be able to make money off of them.

I think people are gonna start to get sick of the social networking sites and Facebook and other sites will lose a ton of users.. But I still think Facebook will remain at the top.

ya i hate the whole facebook culture too but its silly to hate on them for building their own data center.

A data center can be used for more than just Facebook. Even if the fad dies, Zuckerberg could use his fame for promoting his data centers to companies and home customers and perhaps game servers.

I think this is a good insurance move for Zuckerberg. He's thinking long term.

Whys he putting datacenters so far off the main backbones then?

And so many other companies are trying to get out of the roll your own DC to cut costs.

I think people are gonna start to get sick of the social networking sites and Facebook and other sites will lose a ton of users...

Trust me it aint gonna be easy....

ZombieWalk_468x604.jpg

Whys he putting datacenters so far off the main backbones then?

Who cares where it's located. One of Google's datacenter is located in The Dalles and it's far off the backbone too. I'm sure they don't need to go over kill on the connection.

Who cares where it's located. One of Google's datacenter is located in The Dalles and it's far off the backbone too. I'm sure they don't need to go over kill on the connection.

Google doesnt offer it as a service. Its for internal use only. It matters very much where its located. The fact your saying the opposite shows your lack of knowledge on the topic.

Google doesnt offer it as a service. Its for internal use only. It matters very much where its located. The fact your saying the opposite shows your lack of knowledge on the topic.

You don't need to provide services on datacenters that require gigabits of traffic capabilities on backbones. Local datacenters can make a killing too, you know.

Quite to the contrary. Facebook will also be using this for internal use as well external use as well. Google's datacenter in The Dalles is primarily used for their search engine, which is not internal use. The reason Google positioned themselves there is to take advantage of the low electricity cost from BPA instead of other locations in the country. Afterall the cost to Google was that it was like 1 watt for a search and half a watt to cool the process times by billions of queries per hour. Oregon has one of the lowest electricity rates in the United States. Wiring a connection to a datacenter is frankly not that difficult especially for one that of Facebook. Are you just complaining because you feel the need to complain?

Well what do you know, Qwest runs a backbone through Redmond Oregon which is very close to Prineville so the location isn't a bad one.

Back