Apple Targets GetJar for Using 'App Store'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Uh oh, the world's largest free 'App Store' might have to start charging people money so it can cover attorney fees. :eek: Did someone call the EFF guys yet?

"GetJar's use of Apple's APP STORE mark improperly suggests to consumers that numerous companies offer an APP STORE mobile download service, when in fact the term APP STORE refers exclusively to Apple's groundbreaking download service," the letter reads. Apple follows by suggesting that GetJar use "mobile download service" or "application download service," instead.

If I had an app store I would call it "AppS tore" :p

There needs to be a clause that everytime Apple attempts this garbage they get the crap fined out of them. As it currently stands they have zero legal ground and do not own the term. This is nothing short of legal bullying.

For a small fee I would gladly go and thrash Stevie J about the head vigorously until he stops the madness.

Apple's groundbreaking download service

Well they're not full of themselves at all, are they? Also they just lost an injunction against Amazon, that court case isn't looking too good against them. And they're also involved with Microsoft over the term, so I guess their legal team thought that just wasn't enough lawsuits and they had to start another...or something.

Didn't they just LOSE in court over Amazon with this bullshit?

What do you call a store that sells hardware?
What do you call a store that sells groceries?
What do you call a store that sells clothing?
What do you call a store that sells apps?

How they can trademark the basic, generic name of their product? I can just see everyone else following suit. The Chevrolet "Truck™", the Walt Disney "Animated Film™", the NFL "Goalpost™", or the Nintendo "Video Game Console™" might all be in our future.

For a small fee I would gladly go and thrash Stevie J about the head vigorously until he stops the madness.

I think you'd probably just kill him. I hear he's rather frail these days.

Next up, Apple sues God because he forbade Adam to eat from the Apple tree. Never mind, Steve Jobs is God, it would be silly to sue yourself. Or would it?

What do you call a store that sells hardware?Hardware store
What do you call a store that sells groceries? Grocery store
What do you call a store that sells clothing? Clothing store
What do you call a store that sells apps? Wait-for-Apple-lawsuit-store

Duh, everyone knows that. /sarcasm

WTF

I'll call mine an Appz store - that's WAY before Apple even though of using the word "App".

TKO bishes [Apple]!

DUH DUH DUH ZOMG DUH APPLE?!?

This is a case of foot-in-mouth disease I think. Just say sorry and go home.

Reminds me of that guy JoJo that used to yell: "I took my scootah and jumped over the buh, the buh!" (buh means bus in JoJo speak)

I was downloading Appz in the friggen 1980's before Apple was even having wet dreams about the term "App Store".

What do you call a store that sells hardware?
What do you call a store that sells groceries?
What do you call a store that sells clothing?
What do you call a store that sells apps?

How they can trademark the basic, generic name of their product? I can just see everyone else following suit. The Chevrolet "Truck™", the Walt Disney "Animated Film™", the NFL "Goalpost™", or the Nintendo "Video Game Console™" might all be in our future.

Damn! You beat me to it!

Yep, it's quite the general term, so how in the hell can they even think of suing someone for using the term? I can't stand Apple, and don't plan on owning another Apple product again. I don't support half the crap that they do, so why should I support them as a company? I know I'm only one person, but it's not like they have a monopoly and I'm forced to use their products and services. :D Yay choices!

ugh i hate what i am about to say:

This is one that Apple does have a chance to win, sad as it is.

Vs Amazon the judge denied that the term was generic and thus un-trademarkable; he dismissed it because the services were too different to be confused.

Vs GetJar it all depends of if Apple can prove that the name can lead to confusion, and both provide apps for mobile devices.

If Apple is so concerned over the use of the term "AppStore," why don't they just trademark it? Duh

Vs Amazon the judge denied that the term was generic and thus un-trademarkable; he dismissed it because the services were too different to be confused.

Which confuses me, as the Amazon store is pretty close to Apple's App Store. At least when I used it - on my phone, to browse mobile applications, purchase, and download.

Just call it the "Ass Pore" and use a picture of a wormy apple with a pooping worm as the logo.

Then wait for Apple to crap themselves.

Yeah, everyone here is sue happy.

Also, didn't Apple just get through suing someone else over "App Store" and losing? Do they not get the point? Idiots.

The judge dismissed the cased based on something different and pretty much conceded that the term could be trademarked.

The judge dismissed the cased based on something different and pretty much conceded that the term could be trademarked.

How can a generalized term be trademarked? If it was "Apple Store", I could understand them being pissed at other people using it, however "App Store" could stand for "Application Store" as well. Shortening of generalized terms is commonplace, at least it seems so to me. If Apple wins in this case I'm going to start trademarking generally used terms that aren't trademarked.

I've said it before, Apple just needs to call their App Store "iApp Store" or "iApp" it just makes sense.

Vs GetJar it all depends of if Apple can prove that the name can lead to confusion, and both provide apps for mobile devices.

I don't follow. Amazon's app store sells applications for mobile devices.

How is this app store more like Apples than Amazon's?

I Think its a complete crock of shit.. They shouldnt be allowed to have a lock down on anything so generalized.. Ie if they want a lock on iOS application store then thats fine, but nothing less..

I don't follow. Amazon's app store sells applications for mobile devices.

How is this app store more like Apples than Amazon's?

Amazon's isn't for mobiles only.

All in all that is a stupid slippery slop thing IMHO, because quite honestly, if your device sends you directly to it's appropiate App Store, then there is no way to get confused, if you want an iphone app, your iphone will connect you to your app store, if you want an android app, then your android would do that, and if you want a general one, then you would have to know the website.

To prove it can lead to name confusion, Apple first has to prove its not a generic term and that they have the right to make a claim to it. Which they dont and wont get. The best apple can hope for is something like Apple(brand) App Store. etc.

Back