AMD Catalyst 11.6b Hotfix

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has just released the new Catalyst 11.6b Hotfix that resolves issues with BSoDs, screen flicker at idle and corrupt mouse pointer issues. The hotfix also provides support for the A8 - AMD Radeon HD 6550D and A6 - AMD Radeon HD 6530D series of products.
The following Issues Are Resolved:
  • BSOD when connecting a HDMI and DisplayPort based display when using AMD Catalyst 11.6
  • Screen flickering when the system is idle
  • Mouse pointer corruption found in previous AMD Catalyst releases

AMD Catalyst driver support for systems with the following:
  • A8-3850 - AMD Radeon™ HD 6550D
  • A8-3800 - AMD Radeon HD 6550D
  • A6-3650 - AMD Radeon HD 6530D
  • A6-3600 - AMD Radeon HD 6530D

Does it fix the 4850, computer no longer boots problem? I upgraded to a Sandybridge processor/motherboard, put my old 4850 in there, windows came up, I reinstalled CCC, total lockup. Ok, I figured, I tried not replacing Windows, but if I have to I'll go ahead and format windows and reinstall. I do that, it comes up, working fine, install 11.6, complete lockup again (the screen will just freeze, no BSOD, just completely freezes). I reinstall Windows again (you can't uninstall ATI drivers from safe mode apparently), this time I install 11.5 - it works fine. I'm stupid so I try 11.6 again - immediately locks up and I need to reinstall again.

got a bsod within 5 min with the hotfix :(

Stay with the 11.5 drivers i didn't have any problems with those.

w00t

Been having flickering and BSOD's every week or so.

Hope this works :D

Can someone explain these releases. I'm most familiar with NVIDIA and they just release new versions. But all these Hotfix drivers a b versions what does all of that junk mean? Should everyone just install these, or just certain adapters etc...??

Appreciate the help, I have a AMD Fusion box with an 6310 graphics apu in it.

Can someone explain these releases. I'm most familiar with NVIDIA and they just release new versions. But all these Hotfix drivers a b versions what does all of that junk mean? Should everyone just install these, or just certain adapters etc...??

Basically it has the same feature as 11.6 but with a few glitches fixed. It doesn't have any new features that warrant a 11.7 badge.

Basically it has the same feature as 11.6 but with a few glitches fixed. It doesn't have any new features that warrant a 11.7 badge.

Up to now, I thought it had to do with the month when it was released, i.e. 6=June... But, seeing how the 11.6b was issued in July I'll have to go with what you say...

ok i'll try to explain this without it getting confusing. due to the fact that WHQL certification of drivers can take up to a month. AMD decided that it would be better to release hotfix drivers(beta drivers) between the time they send in their drivers to be WHQL certified and when they actually get certified. this means that all the fixes that were released between that time ARE NOT in the actual WHQL certified drivers. when that happens they release a hotfix driver right after the WHQL certified drivers are released that have all the fixes between the last WHQL drivers and the new WHQL drivers.

Nvidia did this for a while as well but eventually gave up on it. now what nvidia does is they send in their drivers to be WHQL certified then release those same drivers as Beta drivers.

either way what AMD is doing now is benefiting gamers since AMD doesn't have the man power to work on driver fixes like Nvidia does so instead they fix as many driver flaws as possible and release it as a hotfix driver. some driver versions get no hot fixes and some can have 4 or 5 hotfixes(11.2 i believe were the drivers that had a ton of hotfixes)

as far as the numbers go they have no bearing on what date they are released. this has been ATI/AMD's standard driver release number scheme since the beginning.

I was baffled as to why the machine became horribly unstable when I switched to 11.6's. I think I blamed about half a dozen things before I narrowed it down to video drivers.

Anyone know if it's safe to install the Intel Rapid Storage drivers and app? Something was causing frequent pausing in games, and I'm still not sure if it was video drivers or the RST software for onboard Intel ICH10R.

This monthly release thing is starting to suck.

I prefer the old days of a solid release every few months.

You dont have to install them every time they are released.

I think it's a matter of adequate testing.

Anyone know yet if this fixes Eyefinity vsync checkerboarding in dx10/11? It's been an issue for months now.

I think it's a matter of adequate testing.

Anyone know yet if this fixes Eyefinity vsync checkerboarding in dx10/11? It's been an issue for months now.

they don't have the man power nor enough system configs to test everything. so its much easier to release these beta drivers and have the users test them on a much wider variety of system configs and report any problems they are having.

On the normal 11.6 I got a bsod every 3 days or so, now I get them every couple of hours with this hotfix. I notice that my vga monitor stays fine during the brief lockup before the bsod but my displayport monitor goes all scrambled. The only thing that has been running everytime it bsoded was flash and firefox so its one of the two causing it with the driver.

I still get a BSoD when I apply an overclock with MSI Afterburner if the GPU(s) are in idle (HD 6950). If, on the other hand, the GPU(s) are experiencing a 3D load like Kombuster, I can apply the overclock and not blue screen. In effect, this means I can only apply a clock speed to the core while the core is loaded.

Anyone else experiencing this behavior or know more about it? This happens with both the last CCC 11.6 and the newest hotfix 11.6b (which is marked 11.7 for me in the control panel).

I still get a BSoD when I apply an overclock with MSI Afterburner if the GPU(s) are in idle (HD 6950). If, on the other hand, the GPU(s) are experiencing a 3D load like Kombuster, I can apply the overclock and not blue screen. In effect, this means I can only apply a clock speed to the core while the core is loaded.

Anyone else experiencing this behavior or know more about it? This happens with both the last CCC 11.6 and the newest hotfix 11.6b (which is marked 11.7 for me in the control panel).

I was having a BSOD issue when trying to overclock in crossfire using msi afterburner,What worked for me was disabling ULPS in the registry,I used this guide and all my overclocking problems went away.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/667144-crossfire-disabling-ulps.html

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm heading off to bed, but I'll definitely be trying this out tomorrow.

Cheers! :)

you really should,basically,when one of your gpu is not being used it shuts it off,to save even more power than just downclocking it,So when you try and apply settings the card is essentially not there and it causes the lock ups and bsod's.

It was a real headache,I did not even know about the ULPS thing until I really started searching hard,there's not much info about it that I could find.

on 11.6 I did get a BSOD (6970) from just using my browser out of the blue after I quit Rift. Somethings in flash maybe triggering it ?

There are known bugs with flash and hardware acceleration,but I have not experienced any of them,so I don't know the causes or fixes.I am sure that he is having the same issue I did while trying to overclock a multiple card set up and flash has nothing to do with that.

ATI drivers are getting worse and not better. Ever since I went to crossfire it has been a PITA. Had a BSOD today in a game and it was caused by having Crossfire enabled. Back to single GPU for me next gen. I value stability over FPS.

on 11.6 I did get a BSOD (6970) from just using my browser out of the blue after I quit Rift. Somethings in flash maybe triggering it ?

Can you duplicate the problem? I also got BSOD by using Firefox as well. It happened to me multiple times. I've since upgraded my Firefox to 5.0 and downclocked my RAM and so far, I've yet to see the problem again.

Hopefully this fixes my DP issue with Eyefinity. My DP display keeps losing signal and my shit locks up when in 3D.

Hopefully this fixes my DP issue with Eyefinity. My DP display keeps losing signal and my shit locks up when in 3D.

DP signal loss is my experience has been attributed to overclocking, the connection seems remarkably sensitive to it. I get the same issue on my setup whenever I try to push the clocks past the tiniest bit of an increase.

This FF issue has been around for a few driver versions now but I disabled flash hardware acceleration and have never had it happen since. I disabled my CPU OC because I initially thought it was related but now I see it is just a shitty video driver issue. It makes me want to go buy a GTX 570 or GTX 580 but that would be a downgrade from 2x5870.

I'm using single HD6950 unlocked with mild o/c and with 11.6 (not 11.6b) together with Afterburner - latest beta (overclock and manual fan profile) everything has been working fine. However I'm not sure if I already disbabled flash h/w accleration in FF or not... As for games currently I've been playing COD4:MW2, BFBC2, Portal, Beat Hazard and FM2011...

Can you duplicate the problem? I also got BSOD by using Firefox as well. It happened to me multiple times. I've since upgraded my Firefox to 5.0 and downclocked my RAM and so far, I've yet to see the problem again.

So far it happened only once and i am using Opera on default clocked ram. My cpu is overclocked tho ...

So far it happened only once and i am using Opera on default clocked ram. My cpu is overclocked tho ...

Hmm, different browser than what I'm using but you still got the problem. Hmm, maybe like Gnasher said, it is flash related. But ever since upgrading my Firefox to 5.0, and keeping my RAM at 1066 mhz, I have yet to get a BSOD. My cpu is overlclocked as well. Who knows, too many variables.....

Last edited:
I haven't had any trouble with OCed CPU and RAM at 1444 (OCed) and crossfire 6850s. Still running 11.6 (not the hotfix).

DP signal loss is my experience has been attributed to overclocking, the connection seems remarkably sensitive to it. I get the same issue on my setup whenever I try to push the clocks past the tiniest bit of an increase.

Been running stock. The issues I've been having didn't pop-up until after 11.6 was installed.

I just started getting them once i had Eyefinity up and running ..but i have tracked it down to Steam being the issue because shortly after Steam fires up maybe 5 mins or so i get a BSOD.. Windows gave me clues as the BSOD started from my C/MyGames... so now after Steam fires up i just shut Steam down and i have had no more BSOD since doing this.

I hate this freaking thing ugh
Just this week I got a new MSI 6970 Lightning and it was working just fine until 2 days ago.
Now I get black screens and the PC just freezes.
Doing some testing now with CCC 11.2 and underclocking the card via afterburner.

Seems like this thing is a hardware issue as underclocking the memory allows me to not have a black screen while running 3Dmark 11.

Seems like this thing is a hardware issue as underclocking the memory allows me to not have a black screen while running 3Dmark 11.

Sounds very hardware-ish. Might be RMA time on that card... or time to check your PSU.

they don't have the man power nor enough system configs to test everything. so its much easier to release these beta drivers and have the users test them on a much wider variety of system configs and report any problems they are having.

so they can ignore said reports for months or years

Just hooked up a new monitor via HDMI and it instantly bsod; then would do the same during the windows load screen.

Hopefully .6b fixes all that.

edit - well that got all sorted out with the new drivers, didn't even realize they came out either.

Last edited:
Back