Early Days with Google+

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at GeekBeat.TV have part one of their "Early days with Google+" article online. The "time-sucking" vampire description is amusing and accurate all at the same time. :)

So the big news of the past week has been Google’s revelation of Google+, a pre-launch service that nonetheless has attracted a large number of early pre-beta users. I was lucky enough to get in on it by the second day, but rather than rush a story out, I decided to give myself some time to play around in it and see how things look and feel. That and Google+ is a time-sucking distraction that stole my entire long weekend.

I've never had an account on any social networking site, although I do have accounts on many online fora that I post to going back to 1993.

What I like about the little I know about Google+ is the ability to segment one's life and interests just like I've done on the various newsgroups/websites over the past 18 years. I come here to discuss computers and I go to different websites to discuss WW II computer games and comic books.

I don't need all of those jumbled together, and I certainly don't need family members bombarded by that information, either.

Most social network sites have had this capability in forms that surprisingly work if you care to make distinctions with what you may talk about. This is nothing new and from someone who now uses both, there isnt much difference worth talking about other than actual design layout. Personally google+'s flaw right now is limited user signups. Lets face it, what's a social network without people to socialize with. Pretty boring I must say. They better get a clue real quick because the average "plus" user is seeing this as a huge "minus" and is very quickly eating into their "PR points". I am about to give the system the boot as well because it just isnt useful and doesnt bring anything substantial to the table. 750 million users on facebook just crushes plus's usefulness to bits. Maybe that will change, but many have also tried including google.

I've never had an account on any social networking site, although I do have accounts on many online fora that I post to going back to 1993.

What I like about the little I know about Google+ is the ability to segment one's life and interests just like I've done on the various newsgroups/websites over the past 18 years. I come here to discuss computers and I go to different websites to discuss WW II computer games and comic books.

I don't need all of those jumbled together, and I certainly don't need family members bombarded by that information, either.

This is the big reason I hope it takes off. It is nice to have everyone on one sight... but I don't necessarily need (or want...) every person to see every one of my posts. It's nice to be able to share a video or a picture with a handful of friends without having to worry about co-workers, family, etc.

Most social network sites have had this capability in forms that surprisingly work if you care to make distinctions with what you may talk about. This is nothing new and from someone who now uses both, there isnt much difference worth talking about other than actual design layout. Personally google+'s flaw right now is limited user signups. Lets face it, what's a social network without people to socialize with. Pretty boring I must say. They better get a clue real quick because the average "plus" user is seeing this as a huge "minus" and is very quickly eating into their "PR points". I am about to give the system the boot as well because it just isnt useful and doesnt bring anything substantial to the table. 750 million users on facebook just crushes plus's usefulness to bits. Maybe that will change, but many have also tried including google.

+ is still in beta I'm pretty sure, that's why it's only limited for the time being.

I tried this on facebook and while it does work theres not much word out there about the segregated walls based on topics. They are populated by very few or just die off very fast. One problem with facebook is if you haven't had any activity in talking to someone in a while it will block any updates on that person/anything. I deactivated it and found I missed some cool updates.

I'm not complaining but facebook has a bad habbit of activating a feature and telling you nothing about it.

Wish it was a tiny little bit easier to sort people into individual subgroupings, besides asking them or looking at their hopefully detailed About page.

Circles rock, excellent concept that makes sense, what I'm trying to say is that it needs more Wenn.

Most social network sites have had this capability in forms that surprisingly work if you care to make distinctions with what you may talk about. This is nothing new and from someone who now uses both, there isnt much difference worth talking about other than actual design layout.

Groups isn't a new idea, what's new is the experience and how groups are treated. This is where Google+ really differentiates itself from Facebook's lists. Circles are not only easy to use, but are *required* to be used. They are a core part of the entire experience. Facebook's lists, on the other hand, are optional, not nearly as polished, harder to use, buried, and just sort of bolted on. Yes, the functionality is the same, but the user experience is *very* different.

Back