Analyst: Video Game Spending Set to Hit $74B This Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Analyst predict that consumer spending on video games (software and hardware) will hit $74 billion this year.

Spending on hardware, software, and online play will reach $74.4 billion this year, Gartner said yesterday, up 10.4 percent from the $67 billion consumers spent last year. The market researcher said that consumers around the world will spend nearly $18 billion on game hardware this year and $44.7 billion on game software. Online gaming revenue will reach $11.9 billion in 2011, Gartner predicts.

how could anyone make a living off 75 billion dollars?! throw those pirates in jail. they should have made at least- 100... billion... dollars....

instead it was all you crack-addled, basement dwelling code monkeys that literally stole the food right out of EA games' mouth. they dont just reskin, update stats, and rubber stamp all of last years sports games each year and turn around and sell them for $64.99 because they want to.

how could anyone make a living off 75 billion dollars?! throw those pirates in jail. they should have made at least- 100... billion... dollars....

instead it was all you crack-addled, basement dwelling code monkeys that literally stole the food right out of EA games' mouth. they dont just reskin, update stats, and rubber stamp all of last years sports games each year and turn around and sell them for $64.99 because they want to.

PIRACY IS KILLING OUR PROFITS!

Don't forget used games sales. Those poor distributors and game companies, how will they ever cope?

Good to know the Committee to Determine Acceptable Revenue Levels for Industries has ruled on the video game industry. Which is next on the docket?

Yes, because if you were in an industry that was losing 10% or more (I would say that is conservative) of $74 billion, you'd just wave your hands and say, "Eh, peanuts!"

Wait.. I could have sworn I just saw an article in the past week or so claiming that game sales are down this year. So, which is it?

Good to know the Committee to Determine Acceptable Revenue Levels for Industries has ruled on the video game industry. Which is next on the docket?
Eh, its true. The industry keeps bitching about piracy and 2nd hand sales and how damaging it is. But how can the industry grow AT ALL, let alone reaching such heights if their claims were true?

Once upon a time, the video game industry is not even worth a quarter of that.

And, to celebrate, my video game spending will hit a new record of:

$0.00 this year.

I used to buy a lot of games, back when you could still find the best hot new games launching (sale price) at $39... Then, recently, I've only been buying a few games - the ones that were really "must haves" for me such as Civ 5... When the quantity of sales goes up massively the price should go DOWN correspondingly - but no, profits must increase! I do not agree:

F#@k the greedy corporations charging ridiculously high prices for their content. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I stopped buying DVDs too because Bluray costs went up instead of down. I'd happily pay $10 for a good movie, but $20 is ridiculous. To express my disappointment I simply buy NO DVDs AT ALL now for several years. I used to buy more than 100 per year.

My new thing is super cheap ass games $10-15 or less. That way if I don't get around to playing them it's no big deal.

Piracy is simply competition. They higher their prices the more piracy there will be.

Back