Microsoft Security Essentials 2.1.1116.0 Released

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The newest version of Microsoft Security Essentials was released this week. The new version updates the Anti-malware Engine for better protection and is available for both 32 and 64 bit installers. This version is not OS specific and can be installed on Windows 7, Vista and Windows XP.

Was expecting to see this update on Windows Update but, no go at this moment so I just did a manual in-place upgrade to the latest one, working fine so far. Any improvements are always a welcome addition.

I just opened mine to check the version and I'm already running it. Must have auto-updated earlier.

odd..it didn't update automagically..so..I just did the manual re install.. thanks

Best AV software on the market right now. Installed on all of my computers, all of my family's computers and I recommend it to any and all of my friends.

I have yet to find one person who doesn't prefer MSE over whatever horrible shit they were using before.

Used to have avast! ...which is also pretty good. But you have to register it if you want to keep using the free version. Switched to MSE, and don't even have to worry about that.

FYI That article has a bad screen shot on it. The screen shot shows the OLD version number, not 2.1.1116.0 check which you are running.

absitively, MS just opened it up to be installed on servers. SMB's are allowed 10 installs on servers/workstations according to the EULA

This is not correct. I still cannot install MSE on my WHS. When I try I get the following error "Microsoft Security Essentials cannot be installed on your operating system".

Glad to see it. Im a big fan of MSE. Think its as good as any anti-virus out there right now, it runs completely transparent and its free! Whats not to love?

NOD32 and Malwarebytes FTW

MSE missed someone that my other NOD32 machine picked up. So I gave it up.

Best AV software on the market right now. Installed on all of my computers, all of my family's computers and I recommend it to any and all of my friends.

I have yet to find one person who doesn't prefer MSE over whatever horrible shit they were using before.

Guess your luck you haven't. I run into who still remember the Mac vs PC Vista commercials, its like "ZOMG windows will let me down whaa whaa". I just facepalm trying to explain tech to them, double facepalm on some. :(

Oh ya, MSE I likey...

FYI That article has a bad screen shot on it. The screen shot shows the OLD version number, not 2.1.1116.0 check which you are running.

This is not correct. I still cannot install MSE on my WHS. When I try I get the following error "Microsoft Security Essentials cannot be installed on your operating system".

Ahhh yes sorry, WHS not supported. I was talking about normal serve OS's

This, QFT, me too. *like

MSE works pretty well but Malwarebytes needs some serious work, its finding less and less of the newer variants.

NOD32 and Malwarebytes FTW

MSE missed someone that my other NOD32 machine picked up. So I gave it up.

And there is just as much stuff that NOD32 misses that MSE gets..and the same can be said for every single AV out there as no AV on the market catches anything 100%.

MSE is simply the hands down best "keep it installed and running" free AV on the market. I am not so convinced that the pay AV outside enterprise stuff even justifies the cost/performance hit at this point.

NOD32 is a superb follow up on an infected/suspected machine as well as Avast.

Malwarebytes is the current "Belongs in every techs disaster kit" cleanup tool.

AVG - I used to swear by AVG..It has become the new Norton..Bloated possessive shit. There is no excuse that any AV should require 100% cpu on a dual core much less a 6 core cpu and render the computer unusable during the scan.

TL:DR - Any self respecting tech should have multiple AV solutions on them at any given time. However at this time, for the day to day stuff nothing touches MSE in security and performance.

AVG has always been a POS. Avast is the best free AV IMO. It auto updates and doesn't really get in your face about upgrading.

My AV toolbox runs -

Malwarebytes first.
MSSE picks up stuff Malwarebytes misses during that scan.
Clamwin for second scan to pick up stuff Malwarebytes and MSSE missed.

HDD put back in PC/Laptop and then Combofix to finish off the rest that was missed.

I think he thought he meant "home server" as in "a server at home" rather than Windows Home Server. A damn shame it still doesn't work on WHS.

My AV toolbox runs -

Malwarebytes first.

HDD put back in PC/Laptop and then Combofix to finish off the rest that was missed.

CCleaner first

so MBAM doesnt have to scan through 232139479 internet and other temp files

Seriously, what kind of sites and files are you downloading that cause you to get infected in the first place? I'd get a good software package first, then examine your habits to figure out WHY you are getting malware hits.

Seriously, what kind of sites and files are you downloading that cause you to get infected in the first place? I'd get a good software package first, then examine your habits to figure out WHY you are getting malware hits.

This [H] forum itself handed out a couple nasties just a month and a half ago. You can get infected just about anywhere.

This [H] forum itself handed out a couple nasties just a month and a half ago. You can get infected just about anywhere.

I never have issues at home with Chrome and MSE. At work the IE browsers are locked down pretty hard, and the system security policies (DITSCAP) are pretty recockulas.

I never have issues at home with Chrome and MSE. At work the IE browsers are locked down pretty hard, and the system security policies (DITSCAP) are pretty recockulas.

I'd say 80-90% of us are running MSE on this forum and majority of us got smacked anyways. My point was you don't need to go to "those sites" to get infected. You can get them anywhere.

I'd say 80-90% of us are running MSE on this forum and majority of us got smacked anyways. My point was you don't need to go to "those sites" to get infected. You can get them anywhere.

What exactly are you referring to? I remember these forums getting hacked about 4 months ago and trying to propagate a Java virus, is that what you're talking about or something else?

My AV toolbox runs -

Malwarebytes first.

Or you could just use hitman pro and skip all of that

Or you could just use hitman pro and skip all of that

Never heard of that app until I just saw that post a few minutes ago, so I figured "Ok, let's see what this thing is supposed to be capable of..." and gave it a shot. In the process, I also grabbed the latest MalwareBytes just for shits and giggles.

Disclaimer: I'm on Windows 7 Pro x86, installation is about 4 months old (installation date March 14, 2011), fully updated with Windows Update as of midnight (about 1 hour and 10 minutes ago given the time of this post), and I use Microsoft Security Essentials 2.1.1116.0 (the most updated version that was released several days ago). I use Firefox 5 (upgraded from v4.0.1 a few days ago) in a portable format - runs from a single folder that gets transplanted where required.

I use NoScript, AdBlock Plus + Element Hiding Helper, the privacy options are adjusted to always block all third party cookies and allow session cookies. I also have IE9 as a backup, of course, and the privacy options for IE9 are set to also always block third party cookies.

That's it - there's nothing else installed on this machine, and Firefox has been the same installation in the same folder since March when I did a clean install of everything nice and fresh. I run no other security software at all, and I will admit that I do venture into places online that would scare most folks senseless.

I installed MalwareBytes and let it update and then run a full complete scan as of oh, 15 minutes ago. Results: not one fucking thing found, not even a tracking cookie.

I then fired up that Hitman Pro thing (v3.5.9) and let it do a one-time scan of this same machine. Results: not one fucking thing found, not even a tracking cookie.

Methinks you folks get a bit paranoid... :p

I did this same kind of "test" last year at one point, only using Windows 7 Pro x86 (my OS of choice), MSE (the older version, of course), and using Firefox 3.6.x since it upgraded so much along with NoScript + AdBlock Plus again, using the same privacy/cookie settings, and that was tested against MalwareBytes, Trend Micro HouseCall, Secunia PSI, and Eset's online scanner - all of that ended up finding absolutely not one fucking thing found.

Now, my experience with all this testing that some folks do on extremely obsessive levels is that either a) MSE + Firefox + NoScript + AdBlock Plus + my particular privacy settings are keeping me safer than 99.5% of the people out there, or b) all of this software is lying to me and I'm infected up the freakin' wazoo.

So I ran Rootkit Revealer a few minutes ago too. Nothing found.

I'm done testing. If all this software can't find anything, then it's safe to say there ain't nothing getting through my given choice of AV/malware protection: Microsoft Security Essentials.

YMMV, of course.

What exactly are you referring to? I remember these forums getting hacked about 4 months ago and trying to propagate a Java virus, is that what you're talking about or something else?

Ja. It's been 4 months already? I thought it was more recent. It was a very annoying virus - well not annoying to defeat, but annoying because I'm trying to troll the forums and I'm getting stupid pop ups :-P

Oops, did I say troll out loud?

Java viruses, exploited ads that install malware when you visit the page via flash, pdf or unpatched browser holes. exploits installed via javascript. Nothing is really safe anymore, especially if you don't keep everything up to date, which most people don't, or can't because Adobe is updating every week due to something as of late.

Back