Arizona Police Confirm 2nd Hack on Officers' Email

HardOCP News

[H] News
An official from the Arizona Department of Public Safety confirmed today that the agency has once again been hacked.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety is reviewing the information released by a group calling itself AntiSec, said Capt. Steve Harrison, an agency spokesman. An attack last week by the computer hacking collective group Lulz Security targeted officers' DPS emails.

My bet is that they are not enforcing secure passwords and probably every user has full admin rights.

I can see it happening something like this:

Worker at headquarters:
Oooh.. let's click on this link in my email.. it says free, so why not. hrmmm... nothing happened.. oh well.

Hacker:
Look at that, my bot reported that another system has come online. Let's see what I now have access to.

ADPS: crap, our system has been comprimised again... what to do.. what to do...

Manager: Call GeekSquad again. We need to get us some better security.

Geeksquad: O.k., this here 4-port linksys router with a built in firewall will keep all attacks from happening. That will be $700 for our services please. Would you like to buy an extended warranty at double the price of the router?

A couple days later the same thing happens again.

Where is the stupid FBI? They should NOT be going after kids that hack the PS3, but people that hack Public systems! It's just a small step to the power grid, and other critical systems for these scum bags.

AZ has Sb1070 for our protection. No legal Resident of American has to worry about this bill.

Just remember hackers, in AZ we can all carry concealed weapons with no license required. :cool:

Where is the stupid FBI? They should NOT be going after kids that hack the PS3, but people that hack Public systems! It's just a small step to the power grid, and other critical systems for these scum bags.

AZ has Sb1070 for our protection. No legal Resident of American has to worry about this bill.

Just remember hackers, in AZ we can all carry concealed weapons with no license required. :cool:

The FBI's response would probably be to unplug the server based on their recent actions.

Yep, the Police should know more about some 15 year old script kids than actual important things. Like saving peoples lives.

A street officer would know as much about computer security as someone from the secretarial pool in an office. That's why they have an IT department.

Does the US government have a branch specializing in IT? Or are they still outsourcing it to private companies?

Police officers are one of the least knowledgeable group of people on technology.

Police officers are just like the majority of people out there. Some are amazingly computer literate, others not so much.

Go do some ride alongs with your local police force. See what shit they go through every day, especially if you live in a large metropolis, and I guarantee you'll change your tune.

Police officers are just like the majority of people out there. Some are amazingly computer literate, others not so much.

Go do some ride alongs with your local police force. See what shit they go through every day, especially if you live in a large metropolis, and I guarantee you'll change your tune.

Yes, like the pulling people over because you had a bad day and the guy is in your way. Or the sitting by the side of a road where the speed drops from 45 to 25 with a laser gun writing speeding tickets.

Very dangerous, yes. :rolleyes:

They don't even check their own email. Admin does and fwd it to them. If its a high ranking guy he will have a PA. They can't even dail a number. That's why they have phones with speeddails programmed in them. For incase his personal assistant takes the day off

Yes, like the pulling people over because you had a bad day and the guy is in your way. Or the sitting by the side of a road where the speed drops from 45 to 25 with a laser gun writing speeding tickets.

Very dangerous, yes. :rolleyes:

something tells me you live in a town which you can't see on Google Maps because there's a tree in the way.

They don't even check their own email. Admin does and fwd it to them. If its a high ranking guy he will have a PA. They can't even dail a number. That's why they have phones with speeddails programmed in them. For incase his personal assistant takes the day off

As of 11:00PM 7/2/2011, I know of zero cops with PAs

Back