NVIDIA Launches GeForce GTX 580M GPU

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA today announced the world's fastest notebook graphics processing unit (GPU)i, the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M. Available now in the Alienware M18x, the new GPU sets new standards in industry leading benchmarks and games. It will also be available soon in the Alienware M17x notebook along with NVIDIA Optimus™ technology.

Seriously some battery mfg. paid them to do this right?
Why would anyone want a 480/580 in a laptop?

Well, I rarely use my laptop when it's not plugged in. I'm almost always either on the couch or in a class. Both locations offer plug-ins, so I could care less about laptop battery life.

With Nvidia Optimus hardware, you can have a Quad Core i7 in your laptop with a 580 and still get 6-8 hours battery, then bring the laptop home, plug it in, and have enough FPS to play any game you want. It's really nice, and really awesome for LANing too.

Nvidia's mobile versions have in the past been sorely underpowered compared the their desktop counterparts.

The naming of them needs to be totally revamped as the numbering sceme basically is just a cheap attempt at marketing to get people to pay huge amounts of money for a "sucky" laptop video card.

Our company was just recently shopping for some high end laptops that would be used by a couple people that do a lot of Solidworks modeling.

Dell wanted something like $400 dollars to "upgrade" from the ATI card to the Nvidia card. I did a bit of looking and found out that the ATI card is a lot faster than the Nvidia card that was being offered as an "upgrade".

Nvidia is freaking moronic in a lot of their pricing. Absolutely no reason to rip people off on purpose. I have a couple Nvidia cards in my main rig right now, but am probably going to go ATI for my main card next upgrade and just keep one Nvidia card for PhysX and side monitors.

Meh...I'll stick with the 560M with 3GB video ram in the Asus G74SX that I'll be purchasing soon. Never will these hands touch an overpriced Alienware.

PhysX is dead. And pray tell me how you would ever use those 3GB of GPU ram? another marketing gimmick

I still don't understand the hugeass, thick, hot, 7-10 lbs gaming laptops that cost $1500+. If space is a concern, build a Shuttle or other mATX type setup for gaming, and buy a cheap laptop if you absolutely need one for school or something. I guess if you have a separate display and KB/M to plug into at home it might be ok, but carrying/playing directly on those must suck.

Looks like the same as 480M..

No, it's actually a revised version of the 485M. Tweaked design, same number of cores and slightly higher clocks.

I still don't understand the hugeass, thick, hot, 7-10 lbs gaming laptops that cost $1500+. If space is a concern, build a Shuttle or other mATX type setup for gaming, and buy a cheap laptop if you absolutely need one for school or something. I guess if you have a separate display and KB/M to plug into at home it might be ok, but carrying/playing directly on those must suck.

There are some who travel and want to game, but can stand to be tethered at their destination. For others, it's just a hobby.

Because I work for the railroad and spend half of my time in a hotel and taking anything other than a laptop is not an option. Anyone else who spends as much time on the road as much as I do will tell you how boring a hotel room in the middle of nowhere can get.

I I think this is great news for those who are on the road a lot for work like Vegas P11

Because I work for the railroad and spend half of my time in a hotel and taking anything other than a laptop is not an option. Anyone else who spends as much time on the road as much as I do will tell you how boring a hotel room in the middle of nowhere can get.

And people seem to think people like you don't exist :D Aside from the crazy hobbyists who do it for the hell of it, there are people who actually fit the market demographic, else the product wouldn't exist.

Oh and I'be been posting in this thread the whole time sitting in a hotel for the last 2 days so I can't wait to see some new laptops hit the market with decent GPU options like the 580. I'be been holding out for a while but I can't sit too much longer with no laptop. I'm starting to go crazy.

Oh and I'be been posting in this thread the whole time sitting in a hotel for the last 2 days so I can't wait to see some new laptops hit the market with decent GPU options like the 580. I'be been holding out for a while but I can't sit too much longer with no laptop. I'm starting to go crazy.

Well, there's the Clevo P170, P150, x7200 or the AW M17x or M18x as 580m options out there. MSI if you're willing to step down to 570M.

Fair enough. I travel for work, but nowhere near the amount you do (maybe 10-15% of the time) and know about boring hotels. I sometimes play old games on my work laptop but mostly browse the web. Would be nice to have a real machine but then I'd be lugging two laptops and 10+ extra lbs (and look insane to co-workers).

I have a m11x R2 and that's enough for me on the road. :p The only REAL use I see is for people who are away for long stretches of time. Long enough that a desktop doesn't make sense.

Strangely enough, there are a lot of jobs that fit the description. Namely, mine, lol...:(

Also, military deployment, shipping, airlines, sales engineers, etc may all see a lot of time in different places, none of them the same. Otherwise, I would of just gotten a netbook at the time.

Back