Avast Turns Sights on Android

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Internet security giant Avast isn’t satisfied to have over 130 million users on the PC platform, it wants the Android users as well. To accomplish this feat, Avast will be developing a security App aimed specifically at rooted devices. The reasoning behind this is the wider range of Apps, putting the device at greater risk.

We consider people with rooted phones higher-risk users, and so they need more security. Fifteen [percent] to 20 percent of Android phones are rooted, including the Nexus which comes rooted."

Neither Nexus model comes rooted. They have unlocked bootloaders, which is not exclusive to Nexus models either, which makes them easy to root.

Neither Nexus model comes rooted. They have unlocked bootloaders, which is not exclusive to Nexus models either, which makes them easy to root.

Unlocked bootloaders are unique, easily bypass-able is what most of the rest of the world gets (Well, the Galaxy S pre 2.2 was basically unlocked as well. )

Rooted HTC Incredible here with Cyanogen.

I spent hours tinkering around with it to get rid of all the verizon bloat (Ran virtuous for a while). Why on earth would I want to add avast like bloat to it to kill my battery again?

No thanks Avast. Fix your crappy (used to be awesome) PC AV first, then we can talk.

Unlocked bootloaders are unique, easily bypass-able is what most of the rest of the world gets (Well, the Galaxy S pre 2.2 was basically unlocked as well. )

Well, I actually misspoke. I meant "easily unlockable" as they have a fairly simple, and officially supported, method of removing the security. They still ship with the BL locked. Oddly, you can't relock the BL on the Nexus One, though you can with the Nexus S.

LOL it never found any viruses when i do scans that Kaspersky and even Avira and avg would find how funny........id run avast first and last diff config's always found nothing LOL.........sad same with mcrappee ;)

Not really needed on a phone. All it would do is slow things down and drain battery life. If you're rooting your phone chances are you know how to avoid bad apps.

That mean Avast will join F-secure in doing their best to create malware and then to stop it on the phone. Like with nokia couple years back.

The day I have the necessity to install an AV on my smartphone is the day i'll ditch it and get a dumbphone..

Back