Nevada Passes Robotic Driver Legislation

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s definitely a first in the U.S: Nevada passed a bill to authorize legalization of self-driving cars on their roadways. Now that the first hurdle has been met, the legislators just have to figure out how to implement the overall package to make the technology work with the everyday reality of normal driving.

Just think how crazy high the insurance is going to be... then all the lawsuits for negligent homicide... Remember all accidents will be the robot's fault because a human driver would have been able to avoid the accident.

Then 20 years down the road robot cars will have lower insurance as they get in far fewer accidents.... after the systems go through several upgrades and tweaks and re-programmings...

Someone mentioned this in another thread but maybe now we can get jobs being an ex-driver.......Just like the anime.

Where people use normal cars to stop out of control AI cars.

I can totally see someone trying to hack this system. Especially foir kidnappers and etc.

Just think how crazy high the insurance is going to be... then all the lawsuits for negligent homicide... Remember all accidents will be the robot's fault because a human driver would have been able to avoid the accident.

Then 20 years down the road robot cars will have lower insurance as they get in far fewer accidents.... after the systems go through several upgrades and tweaks and re-programmings...

Imagine if we only had robotic drivers, and then they started allowing humans to drive.

"Just think how crazy high the insurance is going to be... then all the lawsuits for negligent homicide... Remember all accidents will be the human's fault because a robotic driver would have been able to avoid the accident."

I think this is a step in the right direction.

Yup, can see it now, horny male teenager borrows robotic car from mom/dad, takes date on a drive, robot drives car while they get their freak on.

I see this as an extension to safe vehicle legislation. Unsafe vehicles should be removed from the road. Vehicles should be tested annually (or once every other year) before granting a license plate. Robotic vehicles should be no different, they should be (rigidly) tested for safety and meet standards before being allowed on the road.

This isn't going to help the fact that Nevada is filled with terrible drivers, I can just see disaster waiting to happen with robot cars driving around.

This isn't going to help the fact that Nevada is filled with terrible drivers, I can just see disaster waiting to happen with robot cars driving around.

Wasn't Google testing out some autonomous vehicles? I heard that the tests were going well, no major issues. I don't know much about it though.

And all this hubbub happens basically on the same day or within incredibly tight timing of that semi slamming into the Amtrak train... right here in Nevada.

I tell ya, if they didn't make stupid fucking laws for no good reason, we wouldn't really need legislators at all.

I don't think it's to help the fact Nevada has terrible drivers, people aren't going to give up their cars soon. It's just lobbying from Google to allow them to put their cars through the ultimate obstacle, Nevada streets and highways :D

This is the state where prostitution is legal as well. Coincidence? I think not. *leans back in chair and folds hands behind head* This is the life...

I'm waiting for the cars to run over pedestrians, because someone thinks there playing a video game 15 points there 50 points for the old lady with a walker... or worse the car drives over them because it has no way of seeing people in the crosswalks.

I can not wait for the mass implementation of non-driver controlled freeways.

If I had one magic wish it would be major interstates and throughfares where a fucking human couldnt fuck up the traffic flow because of their stupidity. Imagine your commute @ 80mph with no grid lock, lane weaving, gawkers, cutter-off-er-er's, self appointed left lane police speed governers, cross four lanes of traffic and the gore point missed my exiter'ers and of course the road ragers.

Question, how good is a robot at reacting to someone cutting them off with inches to spare and no warning? Because you *will* have taxi drivers do it, constantly, without using any indicators.

Hell, I've had people run me off the road (literally) by blocking the merge lane (we have a lot of roads 3 lane roads that drop to 2 or 1 because of the way they handle development). Like speeding up to intentionally block you.

Those are the worst. Really... I slow down, they slow down, I speed up they speed up... retarded drivers with no etiquette that should not be driving.

I heard they have driven them all over NV and had only one wreck. The got rear ended by a drunk.

They tested here in CA and drove down PCH (Highway 1) from SF to Santa Monica, no problems. Better than the idots talking on cell phones or putting on makeup.

I wonder if the guy in the convoy that hit AmTrak was talking or texting on a phone. Just speculation, the other two guys stopped in time. 300 hundred feet of skid mark by V1.

Back