Hacking Suspect Suffers from Asperger’s Syndrome

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The arrested hacking suspect we ran an article on this week has been reported by his legal counsel to suffer from a form of Asperger’s Syndrome. I hope to hell and back that this isn’t going to turn into an affirmative defense and the disease made him do it. I don’t think that defense will hack it. :D Thanks to xmech for the linkage.

His counsel told City of Westminster Magistrates' Court he suffers from the form of autism, along with agoraphobia.

Lucky him.

His counsel told City of Westminster Magistrates' Court he suffers from the form of autism, along with agoraphobia.
He can be isolated and have nowhere to go in prison. Should suit him well.

The arrested hacking suspect we ran an article on this week has been reported by his legal counsel to suffer from a form of Asperger’s Syndrome. I hope to hell and back that this isn’t going to turn into an affirmative defense and the disease made him do it. I don’t think that defense will hack it. :D Thanks to xmech for the linkage.

Depends on what the information that led to the arrest was. Since they don't appear to have had any luck with the hacker group, itself, and have apparently arrested some kid that just got on IRC and talked about it some times...

...well, this defense would work pretty well, then, in discrediting the argument that just because he CLAIMED to be a hacker, that he actually WAS a hacker. IE., if the prosecution could find no more 'evidence' than his typed admissions (and if he really isn't involved, and he really has autism + aspergers, then this is pretty likely)...

Maybe he does have Asperger’s Syndrome. Lets go back to the 70's when strange things were going on in the US. How many people remember Patty Hearst, grand daughter of publishing magnet, William Randolph Hearst and the SLA(Symbionese Liberation Army).She started to participate with the SLA on some bank robberies. She was arrested in September 1975 along with other SLA members.
F. Lee Bailey defended her in court. He argued that the SLA brain washed her, they called it the Stockholm Syndrome and was forced to participate in bank robberies. The judge found Patty guilty and sentenced her for 7 years in prison. President Jimmy Carter commuted the sentence after 22 months in prison. She was granted full pardon by President Bill Clinton. This couldn't of happened because of her connections,could it? Stockholm Syndrome” is now being referred to as “Patty Hearst Syndrome".
Prime candidates for Patty Hearst Syndrome are:

1. People who suffer from severe isolation.
2. People who get depressed a lot.
3. People who have had emotional and physical abuse like a battered spouse, incest victim, abused child, prisoner of war, cult victim, kidnapped victim, or a hostage victim.
Doesn't the above systems describe Ryan Cleary and many other computer users that are refered here as script kiddies who never leave their bedrooms and don't have a social life.

agoraphobia is a medical way of saying I'm afraid of the sun.

Regardless of whether or not the guy actually has aspergers, which in itself can be a rather debilitating developmental disorder, or whether he did in fact have anything to do with the hacks, comments like that are rather insensitive. Agoraphobia can be extremely debilitating essentially making it impossible for an individual to live a "normal" life, whatever that is :p However the fact that they didn't mention him having an anxiety/panic disorder of any kind makes having agoraphobia very strange indeed. Still, can't blame the guy for trying, might even get granted bail in response.

agoraphobia is a medical way of saying I'm afraid of the sun.

Other than being insensitive and a silly way of putting it, that's also completely incorrect on such a level that I can't even correct you without rewriting the entire definition of agoraphobia out here :rolleyes:.

yeah, that's what I was thinking... :rolleyes:

seems everyone has asperger's these days.

I have it. Odd.. I've never felt the urge to hack or otherwise break the law though. So it baffles me as to how it could be used as an excuse, unless there is some other psychological condition to go along with it.

looks like hes going to have another phobia real soon
Virginitiphobia- Fear of rape.

99% sure he's just a self-diagnosed twat making up excuses for spending his teenage years by the computer.

I have it. Odd.. I've never felt the urge to hack or otherwise break the law though. So it baffles me as to how it could be used as an excuse, unless there is some other psychological condition to go along with it.

I guess that is the point I should of made instead of my sarcastic comment. I've just seen what seems to be a trend in people claiming or blaming asperger's for all their faults.

This reminds me of my brother's son who when he was around 13 years old wore his "I've got ADHD" badge of honor on his chest so proudly. He used this as his excuse for all the annoying and irritating things he did, when he really just needed an ass kicking. He was so proud, mentioning it everyday, wielding it as a shield.

I just feel like the same thing is happening with this sometimes.

Other than being insensitive and a silly way of putting it, that's also completely incorrect on such a level that I can't even correct you without rewriting the entire definition of agoraphobia out here :rolleyes:.

My wife was diagnosed with it, so I have a firm grasp on what it really is. Please do pull stick from ass.

Ratmonger said:
Regardless of whether or not the guy actually has aspergers, which in itself can be a rather debilitating developmental disorder, or whether he did in fact have anything to do with the hacks, comments like that are rather insensitive. Agoraphobia can be extremely debilitating essentially making it impossible for an individual to live a "normal" life, whatever that is However the fact that they didn't mention him having an anxiety/panic disorder of any kind makes having agoraphobia very strange indeed. Still, can't blame the guy for trying, might even get granted bail in response.

I am a very incensitive person :D I guess I could be diagnosed with something as well. One of our trips to get my wife treated for her case I ended up meeting someone who took almost a year on meds to even stand outside his house for more then 5 minutes. He had it in the "debilitating" state that you refer to and damn he had some interesting stories about it. I really don't believe his story about his agoraphobia for one second based off of what I know and experienced with it second hand.

I have views on people who get agoraphobia and sometimes I think "grow up" but then I see/hear the ones with it as a true sickness and I do think its one of the worst things to have.

Seems nearly everyone has a sort of mental problem these days, either real or imaginary. There's something fundamentally wrong with modern society and its mode of living.

It's not just modern society, look back at the history of mankind and you will see that society has always been quite insane. That's why I am not joining in the witch hunt some of you so relish doing.

Show some sensitivity assholes. My little boy Wesley suffers from Asperger's Syndrome, and its a real challenge. :(

He has poor social skills, hates changes to his routine, lacks empathy, doesn't recognize subtle difference in human speech tone, avoids eye contact, finds startling loud noises painful, and is often preoccupied with a single interest. These so called doctors though insist its normal behavior for him though, since he's a cat.

Show some sensitivity assholes. My little boy Wesley suffers from Asperger's Syndrome, and its a real challenge. :(

He has poor social skills, hates changes to his routine, lacks empathy, doesn't recognize subtle difference in human speech tone, avoids eye contact, finds startling loud noises painful, and is often preoccupied with a single interest. These so called doctors though insist its normal behavior for him though, since he's a cat.

does he also sit and watch you sleep? I always found that creepy about cats...

we all have some mental disorder, whats so unique about that hacker to save him from prison? If he knew it was wrong then he goes to prison and if he didnt know then he should be put in isolation which is also prison.

Asperger's is a type of Autism basically. They tend to excel at one thing and suffer at others. The one key defining attribute is they have very little empathy towards other people. It does not have any major impact on understanding things like right and wrong and in no ways is a defense for the crime he committed. So he struggled in school and has trouble understanding his girl friend. So what. Lock him in jail and never let him touch a computer of smart phone ever again.

Asperger's is a type of Autism basically. They tend to excel at one thing and suffer at others. The one key defining attribute is they have very little empathy towards other people. It does not have any major impact on understanding things like right and wrong and in no ways is a defense for the crime he committed. So he struggled in school and has trouble understanding his girl friend. So what. Lock him in jail and never let him touch a computer of smart phone ever again.
There must be different degrees of Asperger's, because that describes quite a few people in our society.

Asperger's is a type of Autism basically. They tend to excel at one thing and suffer at others. The one key defining attribute is they have very little empathy towards other people. It does not have any major impact on understanding things like right and wrong and in no ways is a defense for the crime he committed..

This is true, but keep in mind that unlike a lot of self centered little shits out there, someone with Asperger's Syndrome literally can't feel empathy. They can't put themselves in other people's positions in order to understand how they feel. To them, the rest of us are kind of like cartoon characters or robots. Our motivations and feelings are as much a mystery to them as aliens would be to us. This does not mean they don't know right from wrong; they do, and so this is not a defense in a court of law.

Don't you think the punishment you're proposing is way out of skew with the crime he was involved in at the level he was involved?

Don't you think the punishment you're proposing is way out of skew with the crime he was involved in at the level he was involved?
There seem to be a lot of people who think that law enforcement should be conducted Cyrodil-style.
9k=

Has the human race just got increasingly pathetic and weak?

Or do we just like giving labels to everyone who isnt quite the same?

When I was a kid no one was allergic to nuts, no one went crazy if they drank soda, no one had 'special needs' we just got on with it. All those kids are just normal humuan beings now.

I now visit folks homes with kids and meet my friends kids and all of them are labeld with some 'defect'.

They all have serious allergies, behavioral problems, mental issues, learning issues, Aspergers, Autism etc. etc.

And you know what....these kids love it. Why? Cos they can live up to it and get away with murder.

Its like the episode of Family Guy where Peter is classed as retarded and he kicks in the doors of a ladies toilet.

"I'm retarded!"
"Oh thats ok then!"

Quit giving people labels to hide behind. It doesnt actually help them. It's just an excuse to not have to deal with them as a normal person (like we did 30 years ago) cos that would be too much effort.

Far better to just put them in a corner and forget about them.

Has the human race just got increasingly pathetic and weak?

Or do we just like giving labels to everyone who isnt quite the same?

When I was a kid no one was allergic to nuts, no one went crazy if they drank soda, no one had 'special needs' we just got on with it. All those kids are just normal humuan beings now.

I now visit folks homes with kids and meet my friends kids and all of them are labeld with some 'defect'.

They all have serious allergies, behavioral problems, mental issues, learning issues, Aspergers, Autism etc. etc.

And you know what....these kids love it. Why? Cos they can live up to it and get away with murder.

Its like the episode of Family Guy where Peter is classed as retarded and he kicks in the doors of a ladies toilet.

"I'm retarded!"
"Oh thats ok then!"

Quit giving people labels to hide behind. It doesnt actually help them. It's just an excuse to not have to deal with them as a normal person (like we did 30 years ago) cos that would be too much effort.

Far better to just put them in a corner and forget about them.

Its a good racket for some. The medical system, doctors ,drug companies, psychologists, psychiatrist, all the other "ists" To many people watching Dr Phill(the divorcee)whos the new guy on the block, Dr Zoo or Zee. All the drug commercials, doctor commercials, and if you get messed up by those jokers then you have the lawyers and their commercials, in case you get messed up by the medical system. Were producing a nation of hypochondriacs.

Back