MS: Xbox 360 'About Halfway Through' its Lifecycle

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you were expecting a successor to the aging Xbox anytime soon, you may have a longer wait than you expected. Chris Lewis, speaking for Microsoft, let everyone know that the Xbox is going to beat the game platform curve and be around for about another six years. If you have a problem with that, feel free to blame the success of Kinect for rejuicing the Xbox.

"We see it as about halfway through. But yes, you are right, Xbox is defying the normal curve you might expect. There's no doubt that Kinect put a huge shot of adrenaline into the business.

Seriously, this sucks. Its going to REALLY hurt PC. I get it though, my GF cant tell the difference between GRID side by side on 24" monitors, one PS3 1280x720 30 FPS and PC running 1920x1200 at 60 FPS. She jsut doesn't see it at all.

I honestly do not think it won't be suceeded by another console before the 6 years is up. They can keep the 360 around just for kinect and another new gen game.

But it also does prove that graphics don't sell games anymore. Its just the name recognition. The game only has to look semi decent on a 40" screen with mass popularity and the game will sell. No need to make a new console and force devs to re-program for it if the masses are contempt with what they have.

The 360 is this generation's PS2. Due to the cost of next-gen hardware easily hitting $400, it'll be a while before games aren't made for the system at all, much like the PS2 this time around. Since it takes a good 1-2 years before a good chunk of the market has moved on and we aren't expecting a console until at least 2012, if not 2013, it won't be until 2015 where next-gen consoles stop being called "next-gen".

But no, Microsoft isn't going to wait that long to unveil the Xbox 720.

You have to wonder about things like this because if Sony comes out with something better they will change their attitude. I don't see Nintendo being a threat even with the future console they have planned. I will bet they will come out with another unit within two years.

Hurt PC gaming ? NO WAY!

This is going to reinvigorate PC Gaming. Gamers will be (are being) shown the significant difference between current PC tech vs consoles. The developers are going to go bigger and better, they can't help but stay competitive on that front.. having a PC flagship boosts sales all the way down the ladder.

Plus, next year is a HUGE year for MMO's, with The Old Republic coming out, surely to add another 1-2 million of *new* MMO players, ones that never got on with SWG and new ones that are just casual star wars geeks. Never underestimate a franchise like Star Wars.

On top of that a bunch of other "nexgen" engine games like Rage, Skyrim, BF3...

By next year we will hear about the new xbox. BF3 is a huge glaring sore spot on consoles, a huge game that will only be running at 720p@30fps is not going to go over very well especially when the big consoles are going to loose sales to PC.

By next year we will hear about the new xbox. BF3 is a huge glaring sore spot on consoles, a huge game that will only be running at 720p@30fps is not going to go over very well especially when the big consoles are going to loose sales to PC.

uh, tell that to all the ppl who play the cod series and halo at the same res and or/ fps. those games still sold in the multimillions. don't think that's gonna change anything with bf3 aside from hailing its arrival as the best multiplatform game to play on the pc. pretty sure it will sell well on all platforms regardless of the graphics.

They ALL say this until they actually see competition heading at them. Then suddenly it's 'look at this awesome new system we've had in development for 5 years'.

right, so we will be stuck with low res graphics, crappy texture resolution and directx9 for another 6 years... oh right, HD isn't low res. whooo 720/1080p my ass. and i do have an xbox too, but let's face it: it's ancient technology.

Eh, that sucks big. Consolitis has really hurt the PC innovation sector - I don't think the developers can optimize/innovate on the current consoles anymore as they just lack the power needed to push the envelope. Plus, there's very few companies willing to push just PC games anymore (see DICE) as we found out with CryTek.

If what he says is true, that means Nintendo's WiiU will probably go through its lifecycle and get WiiU2 (free Bono karaoke song!) or something.

Dear Microsoft,

Fuck off! Take care now.

Signed ~ Yet another pissed off customer!

and after 6 years, MS will create a console with graphics almost as good as the 360... on a mobile device.

Total crap.

New consoles for 2013. Definate.

No way they can push these antiques much further. I saw a TV advert for the new Transformers game tonight. the footage shown was for the 360. Looked like a game written 5 years ago.

By the way I am a 360 owner. A bored 360 owner that wants a new console.

wow! over a decade of xbox.

with all the console ports, my old 9500gt will do just fine for the coming 6 years.

really, you don't need more than a $99 graphics card these days.

Hurt PC gaming ? NO WAY!

This is going to reinvigorate PC Gaming. Gamers will be (are being) shown the significant difference between current PC tech vs consoles. The developers are going to go bigger and better, they can't help but stay competitive on that front.. having a PC flagship boosts sales all the way down the ladder.

Plus, next year is a HUGE year for MMO's, with The Old Republic coming out, surely to add another 1-2 million of *new* MMO players, ones that never got on with SWG and new ones that are just casual star wars geeks. Never underestimate a franchise like Star Wars.

I dunno man. Developers have been absorbed into money-only-minded publishing companies left and right over the past decade. I really hope there's room for real developers to come out and make a killing with something fantastic.

What do you mean 'only' running at 720p@30fps? You realize 99% of console titles do not render the game at 1080p? CoD isn't even in HD. It runs at 600p on consoles. Halo3 also wasn't even in HD.

Total crap.

New consoles for 2013. Definate.

No way they can push these antiques much further. I saw a TV advert for the new Transformers game tonight. the footage shown was for the 360. Looked like a game written 5 years ago.

By the way I am a 360 owner. A bored 360 owner that wants a new console.

360 owner here too. Pretty tired of going from my PC to 360 and easily noticing how so many game render at a low resolution. My pany plasma deserves better! ><

Wow, by that time netbooks are going to be way faster than an xbox.

Just think about how much PCs improve in 5 years. That's an eternity in this industry. 5 years ago AMD64 was still king, with Core2Duo still a month or so away. :)

I don't actually believe it though. If Sony announces a PS4, they will somehow suddenly have an xbox3 ;)

so what they are really saying is congrats pc gamers you gtx 460 that you bought for $89 off evga bstock should be able max every non pc exclusive game for the next 7 years enjoy.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? What specifically makes the 360 this generations PS2 as opposed to PS3 or better yet even the Wii?

Another 6 years really puts it on the level of something like Genesis or SNES. PS2 wouldn't be too far behind though. Development for that lasted quite a bit into the PS3 generation.

The Wii has it's planned upgrade and we'll probably see it end of this year and it should be available next year so 5 years give or take the market which is standard.

The PS2 is the highest selling console. It's lasted 10 years and still there are games being made for it. That's what MS is trying to do with the XBOX 360 and I just don't see it happening primarily because the demographics have changed., Back in the day the average age of a gamer was lower which means they really didn't have the capital of having a PS3, XBOX 360 and a PC. Now they do. So they aren't going to wait around for MS to move into the next generation if the Wii and PS3 do.

Overall it's a dumb move if Sony and Nintendo have their act together. If those consoles come out at the rate which has been rumored MS could be caught playing catch up.

Great. I didnt think PC gaming could get any shittier.

I'm not worried about the graphics, so much as the game play. Games are too linear, and hardly have any exploration. Back tracking is impossible. As the graphics get more details, the map shrinks in size. This is because consoles lack memory.

Dukenukem Forever is a good example of what happens when a game is made towards consoles. DNF isn't a terrible game, by console standards. It's just a terrible game for PC standards. I really doubt the DNF we get to play, is the same game that George Broussard wanted us.

Yes, the Xbox360 is halfway through it's cycle. That doesn't mean that MS will not release a new console by 2013, and let the Xbox360 live its golden years as a secondary, cheap, console platform - That's what Sony do with their PS2, and it is a very profitable strategy.

Dukenukem Forever is a good example of what happens when a game is made towards consoles. DNF isn't a terrible game, by console standards. It's just a terrible game for PC standards.

It's a terrible game by any standard. Console, PC or otherwise.

Dukenukem Forever is a good example of what happens when a game is made towards consoles. DNF isn't a terrible game, by console standards. It's just a terrible game for PC standards. I really doubt the DNF we get to play, is the same game that George Broussard wanted us.
DNF was developed on the PC, completed and then ported to consoles. It looks old because it's an old game. I don't know how that console myth started. No information from 3D Realms or Gearbox ever suggested it was a console game that was ported to the PC. By all official accounts, it was a PC game ported to consoles after it was nearly finished.

George Broussard was a bizarre perfectionist who allowed a much less than perfect game to be released. Randy Pitchford must have been really persuasive.

Hurt PC gaming ? NO WAY!

Since when were mmo innovative on the graphics and engine fronts?

Nextgen engines being developed on consoles. Great.

There's always that 2-4 year overlap of console units and support. I hope he's talking about the EOL cycle.

Yes, the Xbox360 is halfway through it's cycle. That doesn't mean that MS will not release a new console by 2013, and let the Xbox360 live its golden years as a secondary, cheap, console platform - That's what Sony do with their PS2, and it is a very profitable strategy.

^This^

MS saw all the money Sony was making on PS2s well after the PS3 was released, and they are going to follow suit. I would bank on new consoles by 2013 (which is still way too damn long). That would leave the 360 being supported for about 3-4 years into the next console's life...basically exactly the same time frame that the PS2 lasted (and actually sold) after the PS3 release.

I'm not worried about the graphics, so much as the game play. Games are too linear, and hardly have any exploration. Back tracking is impossible. As the graphics get more details, the map shrinks in size. This is because consoles lack memory.

I agree about the gameplay,especially in FPS games. The current crop of consolized shooters are far too linear. The only open world cross platform shooters I liked was the Fallout games,and even they show the limitations due to the console influence,they don't begin to compare to PC only open world games like the STALKER series.
I think Crysis 2 is a better example of a game ruined by the emphasis on console development,however. DNF was a game stuck in development hell for over a decade,it wasn't the console influence that doomed it so much as it being outdated,unfinished game that was rushed into release when it should have been allowed to die.

Back