Firefox 5 is Now Out!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Firefox 5 is out now for Windows, Linux and Android. Aside from a new look, there is supposed to be a bunch of cool new stuff in the latest version so grab it if you want it, try it if you haven't!

Ugh, I had hoped they'd go back to the layout of FF3. Tabs-on-top doesn't really help me "focus" on my document - if anything it makes it more likely I'll accidentally switch tabs when i've got multiple windows open. I also really wish they'd let me move the refresh and home button back to the left side. I have no idea what made them think it was a good idea to space them out all over the place.

Ugh, I had hoped they'd go back to the layout of FF3. Tabs-on-top doesn't really help me "focus" on my document - if anything it makes it more likely I'll accidentally switch tabs when i've got multiple windows open. I also really wish they'd let me move the refresh and home button back to the left side. I have no idea what made them think it was a good idea to space them out all over the place.

I haven't upgraded from 3 yet because I love the feeling of having more control. Unlike most people I WANT full access to my history, bookmarks, tools, and view, right up on top where it is easy to find. Any word on being able to customize the browser a bit more so I can finally upgrade?

i thought fire fox 4 just came out?

That is exactly what I thought!

Firefox button-> options -> tabs on top... Turn it off. you can turn on the menubar as well.

If you are in love with old school. There are other addons that change UI functions to look more old school as well. Firefox is about the only browser that lets you change the whole ui.

I haven't upgraded from 3 yet because I love the feeling of having more control. Unlike most people I WANT full access to my history, bookmarks, tools, and view, right up on top where it is easy to find. Any word on being able to customize the browser a bit more so I can finally upgrade?

There has been an option in FF4 ever since it was WAYYY beta to always show the menus, just like the older versions.

Anyways, all the cool kids run Firefox 7.

Can someone with 5 let me know if it scales right at 200% dpi? Firefox 4 did not, and it was a deal breaker for me. Also with 4, one had to zoom each new page while 3 remembered zoom level for all pages. What was wrong with 3? :rolleyes:

I love opera and chrome, but cannot live without noscript and adblock.

I've just installed it, I like the new app tabs feature. It makes getting to my most used sites and checking emails much easier.

Firefox button-> options -> tabs on top... Turn it off. you can turn on the menubar as well.

If you are in love with old school. There are other addons that change UI functions to look more old school as well. Firefox is about the only browser that lets you change the whole ui.

There has been an option in FF4 ever since it was WAYYY beta to always show the menus, just like the older versions.

Anyways, all the cool kids run Firefox 7.

Thank you to both of you :) I am now running the upgraded version as a result of your helpful input :)

Can I install 5 along side my FF3?
I have many mods installed and I dont want to lose them all when I install 5, Im sure none of them will work with 5.

Can I install 5 along side my FF3?
I have many mods installed and I dont want to lose them all when I install 5, Im sure none of them will work with 5.

If you want your menu, just press alt. After finding out about that, I'm much more happy with 4.0.

You can change all of what you just griped about. All of it.

And on topic of the post, I can't wait till 6.0 is released to the stable build. Been using that in Aurora for several weeks now, and wowee. Damn is it fast.

So Firefox 4 comes out my status bar goes away to piss me off (yeah I'm sure there's a way to bring it back, but I don't fucking care, it's gone now and I don't have the time to find out how to restore it) and now FF5 is out?

Mozilla did say they were gonna adopt the quick turnabout update like Chrome.

For everyone bitching about the layout. IF you spend a few seconds moving stuff around it can look however you want it to. This is mine that I just installed 5 minutes ago

Untitled-1.jpg

For everyone bitching about the layout. IF you spend a few seconds moving stuff around it can look however you want it to. This is mine that I just installed 5 minutes ago

Yea, damn hard to do wasn't it?

Hmmm, "Firefox" button, "options", check or uncheck all you want, "Toolbar Options" to move shit around.

We bitch when something doesn't give enough customization (games) and bitch when something has to much.

So damn [H]ard we're never happy...

Woah FF5 Looks nice! Downloading right now!
cJZO1U

If you are judging by mine be prepared to do a few minutes of changing things.

The main thing you will need is the theme. I am using BlackFox V1-Blue. There is also a red version and a couple by the same author that go by LavaFox.

Any reason in particular why they jumped a whole version number for a minor update, other than biggar numbas = moar bettar?

Installed, FF5 still a buggy piece of trash like FF4. Last Firefox that didn't screw things up for me was 3.6, and pretty soon it will be 3+ versions old and unsupported. Maybe it's time to give Chrome another try...

I hate the rat race, I need to work. I usually do not upgrade to new versions right away, I want them to stabilize first. I want updates, not upgrades. I know you can move crap around, but why?! I was happy the way it was. I still install 3.6 due to the pointless changes, and the video problems. Videos smear across my screen, scrolling is jerky and laggy, and FF4 on my Alienware M11X with dual video is schizophrenic and unusable. Video acceleration is broken, big time. It is still in Beta IMO, and with their quick-release schedule now, they'll never have a stable browser! I run FF4 and the nightly builds just to check for updates for when they develop a stable browser again, so far it is still 3.6.17.

I may just switch to Opera. I can use NotScripts with that, pretty close to NoScript! I don't care about Adblock anymore, by blocking the scripts I don't see ads anyway. Besides, I do want to prevent the websites from getting any ad revenue(that's just being a hypocrite), I just will not tolerate obnoxious and risky Flash ads. 99% of drive-by infections are due to scripting, often in ads.

Any reason in particular why they jumped a whole version number for a minor update, other than biggar numbas = moar bettar?

That's exactly what Chrome does. Yet everyone has google goggles and say it's so great, when it's just now getting simple things like Print Preview after being out for years.

Also with 4, one had to zoom each new page while 3 remembered zoom level for all pages. What was wrong with 3? :rolleyes:

That is a feature, not a bug. It's intended to permit you to use different zoom levels on different sites as needed without it screwing up your settings on other sites and it works rather well IMO.

You set it once per site and it should keep the zoom from then on. How much of an issue is this really?

So Firefox 4 comes out my status bar goes away to piss me off (yeah I'm sure there's a way to bring it back, but I don't fucking care, it's gone now and I don't have the time to find out how to restore it) and now FF5 is out?

Then you shouldn't gripe if you aren't willing to spare the 30 second google search to find out how to get it back. Seriously, you probably spent longer writing that ***** than it would have taken to find the solution.

Now don't you feel silly?

Installed, FF5 still a buggy piece of trash like FF4. Last Firefox that didn't screw things up for me was 3.6, and pretty soon it will be 3+ versions old and unsupported. Maybe it's time to give Chrome another try...

Care to elaborate what is so buggy about FF5?

I'm pretty much OK with FF constantly putting out new and "better" versions of their software. It's good to see an active software company.

Back