Intel Promises Exascale Supercomputing By 2020

HardOCP News

[H] News
eWeek, reporting form the International Supercomputing Conference in Hamburg, says that Intel has announced plans to provide ‘exascale’ computing performance by the end of the decade. Interesting reading for sure, hit the link for more.

Using its Many Integrated Core (MIC) architecture, Intel can enable supercomputers to carry out ‘quintillions’ of computer operations per second – hundreds of times more than today’s fastest supercomputers. The first Intel MIC product, codenamed “Knights Corner”, was unveiled last year. It is planned for production on Intel’s 22-nanometer technology and is expected to start arriving time in 2012.

208x228_Joseph-Ducreux-HEY-THEE-FINE-SIR-YOUR-PERSONAL-DEVICE-CAN-IT-RUN-CRYSIS.jpg

A Meme, like the person who types "First" and every Duke Nukem Forever meme, that once may have had it's place in discussions & might have been funny but now is so cliche as to make the person who invokes it seem very small minded!! Kind of like the person who invokes "Hitler" into the conversation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law.. no point listening to that person anymore!!

But can it play Crysis ?

Cliche, thanks for your duties of being the Captain Obvious of [H]. Apparently every site needs someone like you, someone willing to take the time from their busy life to contribute such useful and insightful information that you undoubtedly pass along with each and every one of your posts. Glad you are there to make sure none of us misses the meme, the catch phrase, the joke that we all immediately thought of while reading the OP's comments, hoping to catch that one person who might have missed it if not for your diligence and commitment to the excellence of your craft. But alas I have said too much. I have taken you away from your sworn duties for far too long. I beg of you, dear kind sir, please return to your task at hand. Will be waiting with breathless anticipation for your Hitler comment to grace these forum pages.

Cliche, thanks for your duties of being the Captain Obvious of [H]. Apparently every site needs someone like you, someone willing to take the time from their busy life to contribute such useful and insightful information that you undoubtedly pass along with each and every one of your posts. Glad you are there to make sure none of us misses the meme, the catch phrase, the joke that we all immediately thought of while reading the OP's comments, hoping to catch that one person who might have missed it if not for your diligence and commitment to the excellence of your craft. But alas I have said too much. I have taken you away from your sworn duties for far too long. I beg of you, dear kind sir, please return to your task at hand. Will be waiting with breathless anticipation for your Hitler comment to grace these forum pages.

Woah.. someone is Mr serious.

I know you wrote that post thinking you just owned him, but....
Survey says...
FAIL.

Anyway, anyone else find it odd that "quintillions", "exaflops", and "exascale" are all in quotation marks? I don't exactly consider that arcane knowledge for a source called eWeek.....maybe you could make a case for the exa prefix, but quintillions? I've seen quintillions used in so-called "dozens" of articles relatively recently even!

umadbro?

tumblr_l4e64wAcPB1qbv3ovo1_400.jpg

Let's hope games - simulations in particular - will be running in 64bit way before then.
Supercomputing with 32bit apps? Nothing super about that computing.

Back