Sony Intros New Lighter PS3 Slim in Japan

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony has introduced a new lighter PS3 Slim in Japan that also consumes less power. No word on how they shaved almost a pound off the "old" PS3 Slim but feel free to post your ideas in the comments. I was going to make a "hackers probably removed it" joke but it's still too soon. ;)

Fresh from the Land of the Rising Sun comes news that Sony has updated the original PS3 Slim (CECH-3001B) with a lighter, less power-hungry model. The new Japanese PS3 CECH-3000B weighs in at 5.7 pounds -- as opposed to its 6.6 pound elder brother -- and even lowers its wattage to 200W from the previous 230W.

I would be willing to bet there are quite a few unmentioned "features" aimed squarely at the modding community.

That said, still the same ugly slim look. I will keep my Original good looking PS3 with full functionality thanks.

Hardware revisions are a good idea but I can't figure out why it took them so many years to stop making the first PS3 and 360.

Hardware revisions are a good idea but I can't figure out why it took them so many years to stop making the first PS3 and 360.

return on investment, new revision costs huge money in tooling costs.....wait to see your initial investment giving you a return before dumping money into something that isn't broken and will only marginally increase sales if at all

The 360 actually had quite a few hardware revisions while in it's original physical shape adding a HDMI port and cutting down power consumption (and hence reducing the frequency of RROD).

The PS3 also had hardware revisions while it was still fat though unfortunately said revisions tended in the direction of removing features.

The 360 actually had quite a few hardware revisions while in it's original physical shape adding a HDMI port and cutting down power consumption (and hence reducing the frequency of RROD).

The PS3 also had hardware revisions while it was still fat though unfortunately said revisions tended in the direction of removing features.

Yeah, I had that original Xbox with the only HD option being that bulky cable into component ports, hated it. HDMI version now, love it. Try to keep the cables behind my TV to a minimum.

Would go with a Slim however my 60GB launch is still steaming ahead so what's not broke certainly doesn't need to be replaced. Game on

I hope they weight loss was actually a byproduct an not by design, or is a PS3 that weighs 16oz. less that much more desirable?

Now if it was a girlfriend weighing a few pounds less...;)

Lighter weight probablly means smaller heatsinks which are made practical by lower power consumption.

Lighter weight probablly means smaller heatsinks which are made practical by lower power consumption.

have they made the switch to lead for heatsinks? Last I checked they were fairly light and made of aluminum, a pound of heatsinks to cool 30 watts?

Yeah, I had that original Xbox with the only HD option being that bulky cable into component ports, hated it. HDMI version now, love it. Try to keep the cables behind my TV to a minimum.

I upgraded my launch solely for the hdmi use on the newer models (not the ccurrent, upgraded to that for the look). My launch 360 worked up until I sold it, where the user had less then a month on it. The guy had it samwitched inbetween furniture which doesnt suprise me at all.

have they made the switch to lead for heatsinks? Last I checked they were fairly light and made of aluminum, a pound of heatsinks to cool 30 watts?

Doesn't Sony also use an internal power supply? With components using less power, they can use a smaller and lighter PSU which would help account for the weight lost in conjuncture with smaller heatsinks.

Would go with a Slim however my 60GB launch is still steaming ahead so what's not broke certainly doesn't need to be replaced. Game on

More power to you man. Wish I could say the same for my ol' 60GB that died over a year and a half ago. I miss it but my slim 250gb is very nice. Just wish I could still play Silent Hill 2 and Kingdom Hearts for the PS2 still. :(

More power to you man. Wish I could say the same for my ol' 60GB that died over a year and a half ago. I miss it but my slim 250gb is very nice. Just wish I could still play Silent Hill 2 and Kingdom Hearts for the PS2 still. :(

Dont you still have the PS2? If you don't you can get one of ebay for like $45 :p

Back