US Building Scale Model of Internet for Cyber War Testing

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
DARPA has begun the task of building a scale model replica of the Internet for testing purposes. The multi-million dollar project will enable testing of possible cyber war attack scenarios and then reset the board in what is called a ‘virtual firing range’.

The project is currently in the conception stage with key US defense contractor Lockhead Martin believed to be working on the project.Last month Lockheed itself fell victim to a cyber hack.

Huh? Scale Model Testing? You mean a datacenter with 120 routers connected via ds3 to oc192 interfaces? I think it could all be done in software and run on a dozen beefy servers with VMWare on them.

Huh? Scale Model Testing? You mean a datacenter with 120 routers connected via ds3 to oc192 interfaces? I think it could all be done in software and run on a dozen beefy servers with VMWare on them.

LOL at the thought of the government doing it the easy/cheap/efficient way.

LOL at the thought of the government doing it the easy/cheap/efficient way.

Yeah, I'm sure it can be done in VMware but I guess they wanted to test actual hardware.

Who knows?

Government definitely doesn't know the word cheap or efficient. They do know the words "budget cut" and "raise taxes" and "cut social services" and "raise defense budget" and "accept bribes from high paying lobbyists." But, that's another story to discuss.

Does that mean all the webpages have their fonts rendered at 1pt? :p

This seams like a giant waste of time, as it will only test things they are expecting/know about. The weakest point in any security system is usually the human element.

Back