Sega Warns Users Of Recent Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
The bad news: Sega was hacked. The good news: No one you know uses Sega Pass. :D

"We have identified that a subset of SEGA Pass members emails addresses, dates of birth and encrypted passwords were obtained," the email warns. "To stress, none of the passwords obtained were stored in plain text," though it took the precaution of resetting all passwords anyway. In addition, Sega says that since payment information related to Sega Pass was stored through external providers, it wasn't at risk.

Seriously, wtf is a Sega pass. And what douchebag hacker group even thinks to go there in the first place.

Hopefully this recent BS starts to put to rest the "hackers are cool" idea. They're just the digital equivalent of someone breaking a shopfronts windows and tagging a dildo on their sign.

It's only Sega, but really... If this shit doesn't have the governments attention by now, we're all doomed.

It's time for very, very strict consumer data protection laws. These companies are skating along on our backs and it's clear they don't have the motivation required to get their shit together.

It's time they were 'assisted'.

I'm talking jail time for CIO's. Enough of this bullshit.

I'm talking jail time for CIO's. Enough of this bullshit.

LOL good luck. Wachovia was found to be deficient in anti-money laundering controls and allowing $360 BILLION dollars move through their institution unmonitored, much of which was suspected to be drug money. In fact it is speculated that the only way some of the banking sector stayed liquid during the financial crisis was due to drug cash. (source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/03/us-bank-mexico-drug-gangs)

Yet no one is doing jail time. If hundreds of billions isn't enough, I don't think any number of hacks will do the trick, unfortunately.

Hey! A company did things right by not using plain text passwords! Sony, see Sega security? Copy Sega's security. An aging dieing company has more compotent security and cares more about its customers than you!

Back