SR-X

Caliche

Limp Gawd
Hello! Its been over a year since I completed Aelro Dynamic and have been quite busy in the past year attending and finally graduating from college while working full-time. In the spare time I had, I sketch'd up ideas for my next case. Which leds finally here to my next project: SR-X.

The inspiration behind SR-X is first all the skillful people at work at Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman. Second to all the unacknowledged workers out at AFFTC Det3, their work everyday protects the national security of the US and leads to new innovations in technology. Thirdly, I wanted to challenge myself with a design more complex than Aelro. SR-X will be a geometrical nightmare.

SR-X will be composed of dual watercooling loop cooling the CPU and GPU's. The motherboard, video cards, and associated perpherials will by EVGA Classified Series. The storage will be composed of either 2 solid state or 1 and 1 combination of SSD and Platter Drive. The design will be able to accomodate a 1000W+ power supply.

The materials in SR-X will be an aluminum inner core with a carbon fiber-titanium composite skin. I have already ordered up 11 sheets of 24 X 36 .040 T6061 and 2 sheets of 24 X36 .090 T6061. I will be racing against the clock on this one and I hope to complete this build, though, at this moment there are no promises and I HATE to say this, though, I have been applying for new jobs since I have graduated.

Update:

Update:

Got started today on the construction of SR-X with the motherboard base. Starting at the core of the machine and working out.

From a Layout blueprint, I masked, measured, and drew it out. Using a Air- Grinder with a cutting disc. I'm checking out Laser Cutting right now. waiting for the quote to come back.
IMG_2901.jpg

Cut-Out
IMG_2904.jpg

Roughly setting where the MB will be placed.
IMG_2905.jpg

The MB will be positoned on top with the PS underneath.
IMG_2907.jpg

Last edited:
While waiting for my main Aluminium order to be completed for picked up, I've been using up old Alum from the Aelro build.

I stop by Home Depot and picked up Ryobi 12" drill press demo unit for real cheap. I'm goin to be drilling alot of holes for all the Rivets that will hold SR-X together

IMG_2913.jpg

SR-X blueprint for the Main Compartment Frame, Mid-Bulkheads, and Radiator Compartment Frame.

IMG_2922.jpg

Started by drawing out the Main Compartment Frame and than Cutting

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

The Middle Bulkheads are next. Once placed they were created for geometry symetry and deflection. SR-X wouldn't look right without these. The will also serve as space and a conduit for wires, hoses, and anything else. They are at the Bottom of photo.

IMG_2924.jpg

The Radiator Compartment Frames. These frames will straddle each side of the Radiator.

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

One side of the Radiator Compartment and Mid-Bulkheads

IMG_2928.jpg

Just waiting on my Angle Alum so I can start putting SR-X together.

Im not sure where you are going with this, But all the luck to you and i will watch it till its done.

I started off the day by trying to draw out the right and left frames until I ran into a measurement problem which had to wait until lunch, so I could run home and check it out against the Layout blueprint.

The blueprint below is for the Left and Right Frames. The scale is off and that is what I had to fix.

IMG_2935.jpg

Finally got them drawn on the Alum. by 5pm.

IMG_2939.jpg

I ventured out to get some rivets with my co-worker cause he had to get wheel pullers. I intend to use rivets to hold all the frame pieces together, though, that is being put into doubt.

IMG_2941.jpg

The reason for the doubt is the Riveting tool needs so much clearance I just bought 8 feet of 1/2" angle and I knew I would run into this, :wallbash: So I will either use bolts or buy bigger flange angle.

IMG_2956.jpg

I than turned my attention to the IO panel and rear Motherboard Bulkhead. I just had to re-design this bulkhead last night due to clearance issues. Thank God for Sketchup this time around.

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

Here is the angle piece being positioned for securing the Main Compartment Frames. I will not be Welding due to the possible warping, though, dont totally rule welding out. I"m 95% certain. Now I just have to decide whether to use bolts or rivets. I am trying to conform to a certain style.

IMG_2955.jpg

Half the fun in modding is overcoming unforseen obstacles! Looking great.

Rivets, oh Rivets. I had the problem of securing the rivets properly. Than Attila gave a useful solution. I thought about it and did some test and I was not happy with the way the rivets were clamping the metal together. Off to the trash with these.

IMG_2957.jpg

I ventured to Lowes and found something called Binding Post. At .80cents a piece from Lowes, I ventured around town to no luck, until a guy remind me of McMasterCarr. The sure did have them and they are cheap. The plus side is they can be taken off, unlike rivets:thumb:

IMG_2959.jpg

Started back on mounting the Main Compartment Frames together and these binding post worked great.

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

SR-X is starting to come together. I still have a ton of holes to drill for the Cooling tubes and Electrical, which even makes the binding post better.

IMG_2965.jpg

Hello. Weekend Update.

Jumped straight into the Mid-Bulkhead installation. Began by drawing and than cutting

IMG_2972.jpg

I measured down the Frame from the blueprint where each bulkhead had to be positioned. I relied on the keel line of the frame for getting square. Than I proceeded to install the brackets. The brackets need to support the entire radiator assemblies and such. That is why there is three bolts.

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

Got the Bulkhead installed on the Main Compartment Frame now onto the Left Radiator Frame

IMG_2975.jpg

A Thermochill 240 from the Triphane build. There will be a Black Ice 360 installed in the compartments. So I used this for mock-up.

IMG_2976.jpg

Rear Radiator Compartment Bulkhead. Had to expand the compartment in width 6mm more to accom. the brackets and screw heads.

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IO panel Bracket and Bulkhead

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

I installed these in a Up to Down direction to help support the overall expanding frame that will be on each side.

IMG_2982.jpg

This is just the Left side, I have to duplicate the entire process on the Right side. Plus there is still alot more that will be attached on the left side here.

IMG_2983.jpg

The watercooling tubes will come through these bulkheads into the Main Compartment.

IMG_2985.jpg

Overall, the entire frame is really rigid and strong. Which is what I was shooting for, but sometimes you dont know how it will come out till you build it.:clap:

Time to get to the Juicy. Been busy working fabricating the left wing core assembly.

Started off with the usual drawing and cutting.

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

I ran out of binding post yesterday so I got on McMasterCarr and ordered another 150. Great thing is that I got them today since I live so close. I opted out of the black anodized because the anodizing was coming off. :sigh:

IMG_2991.jpg

Here is the assembly complete from several angles.

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

The next step will be attaching the left wing assembly to the radiator compartment. I got the bulkheads drawn just need to get to cuttin n such.

IMG_2998.jpg

Looks awome im not sure what to think im trying to figure out the end like whats it is going to look like when its done...

Looks awome im not sure what to think im trying to figure out the end like whats it is going to look like when its done...

Thanks! Jus stay tuned. There is going to be carbon fibre involved, so probably in about month that will happen maybe sooner.

Wow, great work so far. I also wish I had some idea what you are going for with this. Did you do any design renderings or sketch's that you can share, or is it supposed to be secret?

The bulkheads were the last pieces that needed to be fabricated in order to attach the wing to the Main/Radiator Compartments.

IMG_2999.jpg

Got them attached.

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

Finally attached the wing to the Radiator Compartment. When the Radiator is installed it should bring rigidity and support to the entire wing structure. When the skin is applied to the entire case, this will theoricatically reinforce the entire structure, though, I dont want to depend on the case cover.

I may make some other bulkhead brackets to reinforce the Radiator Compartment, if the radiator fails to bring proper support to the wing.

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

Wow, great work so far. I also wish I had some idea what you are going for with this. Did you do any design renderings or sketch's that you can share, or is it supposed to be secret?

Its Classified! lol. Ya I do have google sketchup renderings.

I would assume it is aviation related, maybe a tribute to the SR-71 Blackbird? That's what I thought of with the title and the info in the first post.

If that mobo and PSU weren't in those pics I would never even think you were building a PC case. It deffinitely looks like it has elements of a plane.

I would assume it is aviation related, maybe a tribute to the SR-71 Blackbird? That's what I thought of with the title and the info in the first post.

Correct! While not exactly a tribute to the blackbird, it is aviation related.

If that mobo and PSU weren't in those pics I would never even think you were building a PC case. It deffinitely looks like it has elements of a plane.

Yes it does. That is what I am trying to achieve here.

I have seen alot of cases get built and made in a variety of simple and crazy designs. In my 8+ years of modding, I can never truly recall a computer that is built like this. I'm trying something new, hopefully, and I'm doin my best to make it come out as good as the render.

Thanks for the comments

Ha...When I first saw the general shape of the case I thought it was going to fly away when he turned it on.

Haha, he should just make it a PC/RC Glider. The ultimate flying computer.

haha, maybe! I could take it to my university and beam radar waves at it and see if it has a lower radar cross-section? Than I would wonder what to do next!;)

This is looking great! Very intrigued to see how it will look when things start coming together...

Its been a moment since I have logged. Been busy with writing a paper on possible climate change. In the time I could spare, I worked on SR-X. I pretty much had the left wing done, so I started work on the right wing.

I already cut-out the pieces for the Radiator Compartment frames. I just need to fab up the bulkheads for the right side

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

I re-worked the process in the way I would build the right wing. I didnt want to cut and make each bracket by itself since that can be very time consuming. So I just took the angle and pre-measured each bracket and hole and than drilled the whole angle at once. Once the angle was drilled with the small holes than I could take the bulkheads and pencil in where the holes had to be on each bulkhead. From there it was re-drill to bigger hole to accomdate the binding post and cut each bracket off.

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

I made special marks to keep the brackets from getting out of order. Further long, I just went to numbering the brackets. I may stamp each bracket and frame piece in the future to ease down the possible confusion that can happen.

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

I turned to installing the front main bulkhead for the Main Compartment. I had to re-work the bracket design, so some of the old holes will not be used anymore.

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

Well, now comes the part that modders dread. When you made something and it is completely WRONG!:wallbash: That is what happened when I started to finally assemble the right wing and one bulkhead was not lining up. I had to go over my Sketchup blueprint and saw that the bulkheads were completely upside down from how they should have been. TO the Trash with those.

BAD

IMG_3043.jpg

How is technically should be

IMG_3045.jpg

After some re-cutting and drilling. I did manage to start to piece back together the right wing assembly with the left wing assembly needing to be completely re-done. :wallbash: Some times, things just happen.

Here is what is done so far, Now.

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

That's too bad about those mistakes. Nothing is more frustrating than doing a bunch of work only to realize you've goofed :(

Weekend Update! Over this past weekend, which is Independence Day here in the USA, I had time to work on SR-X. I did little bits of work over the past week.

I was able to finally get done both wing assemblies and mount them. I ran out of binding post during the week and it jus so happened that I was going to be going by their facility. I stopped in and picked up 250 more binding post.

I drugged SR-X outside and took some pics of the corrected frame. Also gives reference to how big SR-X is.

IMG_3061.jpg

It wont fit in back!

IMG_3060.jpg

The inner frame brackets for the Main Compartment were up next on the fabrication block. I failed epically the first two times around in trying to get the angles and bends right.

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

Finally got it right on the third try

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

I left the aluminum panel in the pic to put pressure on the frame. I needed both of my hands to take the pic.

IMG_3064.jpg

There will be two frame pieces. I ran out of material so I'm dead in the water till this week. These pieces will be modified even more to accomodate the cover.

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

I'm looking at landing gear right now from RC models:dremel: hhhmmm

Any chance of you putting a fuel tank & engine on that build, and flying it to LAN parties via R/C?

I've been working long hours over this climate paper. So I had no time for SR-X last week and started to work again on SR-X this week. Update time.

IMG_3082.jpg

I took off both sides of the Main Compartment to drill holes for mounting the internal frames.

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

drilling

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

Frames mounted into place. These frames will undergo further cutting and bending to get the angles for the main cover of SR-X. These frames are utilized for mounting the main cover

IMG_3087.jpg

I needed to reinforce the Radiator Compartment. So I had a long hard thought about what to do! Maybe put in more bulkheads around the compartment and I than thought about a bar of some sort. So I dug around in the scrap bin and came out with this piece

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3101.jpg

I had to trim off about 8mm of material cause of clearance issues with the bottom of the radiator. What a ......!!!! After about 2 hours of cutting horizontally, that I had to file the rest of the piece down and I had to due the whole process twice.

IMG_3095.jpg

the scrap pieces, I felt like Attila here:dremel:

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

Pretty sturdy for now. Figuring out what to do exactly next.

If the end were round instead of pointed it could a B-2 like the Spirit of America.

Is it going to fly or is it going to float? Looks interesting can't wait to see it completed.

Can't wait to see it completed

Stay Tuned

Very nice. Kinda reminds me of the F117.

Thanks

If the end were round instead of pointed it could a B-2 like the Spirit of America.

Ya, I had that debate with myself over pointed or squared off. That is how the B-2 is.

Is it going to fly or is it going to float? Looks interesting can't wait to see it completed.

maybe, lol!! If I get some small R/C jet engines

Hello. Google is being a complete failure!!! I have SR-X rendered in Sketch-up 8 and have been drawing blueprints and such from the model. Now, one would think that with a model and Google, that cutting the material to specs shouldn't be hard!! Wrong!! When dealing will complex shapes, you have to position them to be completely flat in Sketch-Up before outputting them to Layout to get the Dimensions. The dimension tools in Sketch-Up suck, ugh!!

Well anywayz, time to log.

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

Got the measurements and angles down and this is where the problems start.

IMG_3108.jpg

Top of the wing

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

While these pieces fit, they are not perfect, so I am not happy!! :duh:

I decided to move away from the wing and onto the front of the Main Compartment.

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

These pieces went alot easier and alignment up correctly.

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

These pieces confirmed that Google was boon-doggling me with my specs. I running into the same problems that I did on Aelro Dynamic and Aelro didnt even have blueprints. It has been somewhat of a frustrating weekend, I starting to figure out remedies to the problems at hand.

never ceases to amaze me what you guys can do, keep it up!

never ceases to amaze me what you guys can do, keep it up!

thanks

Update Time:

Hello. In trying to get to the molding process as quickly as possible I continued on the coverings for the main compartment.

IMG_3118.jpg

after alot of re-measuring and google work, I came to a comprise

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

perfect! The angles were 2+ more degrees from what google stated they were.:wallbash: I got it figured out thanks to builds like Aelro, in which, free-hand impovising was necessary.

IMG_3122.jpg

Started on the side coverings.

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

The frames still have to be modified for brackets for holding on the coverings. That may not happen till after molding, due to not wanting to put holes in the covering and than later having to go back and fill them in.

IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

aligning up to the middle

Going to start working on the back covers of the main compartment next

With a break this past week in trying to finish my climate paper, due to my Professor being absent, I went to work on SR-X. This weekend the upper left wing assembly will be complete with coverings along with the main compartment. Lets get to it.

IMG_3137.jpg

Drawing to finish the rear cover of the Main Compartment. These covers will be later modified after the molding and infusion process to cut slots for the cables and wires.

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

This is the view from the back and directly to the right you can see where I started the coverings for the Mid-Radiator compartments. I didnt have my camera with me so I jus kept pushing forward.

IMG_3139.jpg

The view lines are looking real nice. These covering had to be slightly pitched due to the upward trending angle on the Radiator compartment. The angled appearance gives the Mid-Rad. compartment a very nice feel and look.

IMG_3140.jpg

The coverings for the Radiator compartment. Once this whole cover assembly is tac welded and later infusion, the cover will provide additional support for the wing assembly and any interior part or hardware that will reside in there.

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

Have to go back and do some trimming.

IMG_3143.jpg

The precision on these lines with the cuts made me real happy. With Google boon-doggling me, I definitely thought that I would have to go back and re-do most of the compartment frames. It turnes out I dont have do. The rest on there frames exactly how there suppose to.

IMG_3144.jpg

Up Next

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

This piece is for the rear exhaust side. I got this paint pen to help me mark lines on bare metal. I still preferr pencil, though, this paint pen is permante. I do recommend.

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

Both side of the exhaust upwards towards the front are done nearly.

IMG_3157.jpg

The rear wing covering

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

The geometry has been pretty tricky so far. I have to finish quite of few pieces of the front part of the left side of the wing. I will show those later this weekend, when I get them done. Than I have to do the entire process a second time for the right side of the upper wing. I dont know just yet if I'll wait on that and go onto the bottom part of the wing. SR-X may not fit entirely on my work bench, ugh, hey what can I do, lol! Beyond all that, I have to figure out the support struts/landing gear for SR-X, so I can get it properly up and off the bench. Well I think that is enough said for now. Mod On!

Finally got the climate paper done, so I could turn my focus back to SR-X. I have to side-step for a minute. I made the August issue of Custom PC magazine for my Aelro Dynamic.

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

That is just an awesome feeling!!!

Back to SR-X. Last time I logged, I just got done with the left side of the wing assembly. During my little break, I did do work here and there, though, I waited till I had enough material to post an update.

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

The lines on the front face are looking real means.:rock:

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

With the geometry mistakes that I and Google made on the left side with measurement, I did a more thorough inspection of the angles and measurements. No ROOM for error. This part of the wing assembly turned particulary trickery so in conforming to be symmetrical I had to make sure my measurements were on point. Symmetry can be a real mind-bender and fabricating nightmare if not thought out properly ahead of time

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

The covers for the radiators

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

Seeing the rear exhaust outlets in the flesh excites me, cause it looks better than the render. Once you can start to rub your hand across the angles and lines, I dont know, it jus makes me want to keep pushing myself in my design.

The whole top cover is essentially done at this point. The next step will be to get it tac welded. I trying to formulate a plan of attack next. Whether to go to weld or start on the bottom. The bottom is even goin to be trickier than the top due to the power supply. The render looks like a mess on the bottom and I havent gone back and played with the render. I got some ideas in my head.

Than there is the great debate raging in me in how I am going to mold the front face. Do I combine the top and bottom portion of the front face to be one piece or do I incorporate the bottom front face into the top cover in the mold process?? That leaves the mold from sitting flat and that adds another dimension in the infusion phase.

Beyond all that I still have to get the bracketing made for the top and bottom covers. hhhmmm, that is going to be interesting!!! I still rackin my brain over how many countersuck bolts I should use to secure the cover, cuz this my make it into a wind tunnel. I guess I'm crazy!!!

Back