Suggestions for a wallmount rack

pwrusr

2[H]4U
I need some suggestions on what would be "best" for my needs...
currently I have this:
img20101121232349.jpg

I'd like to have a rack that I can mount something like a 24 port patch panel, rack mount 24port 10/100/1000 switch and also a 1u server that I already have and will likely use as a router for Fios 25/25.

I was thinking something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215164
but it has no room to expand on.
Then I saw this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816228062
and was like "hmmmm :D" looks about right for what I need.

But I'd like to get your opinion on this guys. What would be a good well built wall mount network rack for home use? I'd like to have something easy to work on but also well made that will last me years down the road.

LOL I laugh because that is almost exactly what I have at my house.

either one is pretty shallow, you'd need to use a less than half depth rackmount server, and be careful which switch you buy, will need to be shallow as well. Patch panels etc. won't be an issue.

All of the switches I currently have are all pretty much aren't as deep as the server itself.
I was thinking a 9-14u rack would be best since they seem to be a tad deeper. They would also allow me to install everything from the Leviton into the rack pretty easily and route wires nicely inside :)

ahh gross!
LOL yeah it is, but that's why I'm fixing it :D
That 12U is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like they have a 11U rack that is a bit more but will safely hold more stuff up to 150lbs.
I also saw this little gem:
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/Low-Profile-Secure-Wallmount-Cabinet-6U/RMT353AĂR2
Looks like it will accept everything I'd need it to with minimal intrusion into the closet space. Though it's a bit spendy.

Thanks MavsX, I almost forgot about blackbox :eek::cool:
Anyone else have anymore suggestions? if not I will likely get one of the blackbox racks :D

Hate those leviton boxes, all builders use em its a cluster.compared to A NORMAL RACK

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=65701

Provantage has it for a $171.33. Worked fine for a town library client of mine. Has a 24 port switch, ups (sitting on the bottom metal bracket at the moment, cisco 1841 router, adtran t1 mux/metro ethernet bridge, and a couple of other items. Went together easily. Rugged metal. Once I bolted it to the backboard, I could easily hang my weight (175lbs) from the rack without any bending or movement. Door swings out, though if I remember from the front, so if you have a switch mounted, you won't be swinging the door out any longer.

I'm not really a fan of those Home Depot multimedia boxes. Too damn tight to mount anything in there. I'd properly dress the cable too, with some d-rings coming down the wall. Split up the coax from the ethernet lines. 24 port patch panel would mount nicely in a rack. Get a blanking plate for the rack and you could mount a 66block for pots lines. Could also get a blank 24 port patch panel and use keystone inserts. Then you could use either CAT5e, CAT6, and RG-6. It would look real pro.

LOL yeah it is, but that's why I'm fixing it :D

That 12U is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like they have a 11U rack that is a bit more but will safely hold more stuff up to 150lbs.
I also saw this little gem:
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/Low-Profile-Secure-Wallmount-Cabinet-6U/RMT353AĂR2
Looks like it will accept everything I'd need it to with minimal intrusion into the closet space. Though it's a bit spendy.

Thanks MavsX, I almost forgot about blackbox :eek::cool:
Anyone else have anymore suggestions? if not I will likely get one of the blackbox racks :D

no problem man. We use a lot of blackbox stuff at work because it is quality. It has a lifetime warranty..Expensive yes..but it looks good.

we used that exact same rack at one of my branch offices..here is a pic Check out how we mounted the server to the wall. It's sweet.

also, check out neatpatch.com for cable management. We used neatpatch at my office..

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

at work in one of our closets...

patchpanel.jpg

1) I'd recommend Black Box or Middle Atlantic.
2) MavsX, nice pics!! What are those small Cisco units on the top left?

1) I'd recommend Black Box or Middle Atlantic.
2) MavsX, nice pics!! What are those small Cisco units on the top left?

those little grey boxes are cisco power injectors. They are used to power up the lightweight cisco access points that we use. We got the 1100 series..i think 1160's and we also have cisco 1250, which are all weather access points...(outdoor use)....we also use another model..i forget which ones..but they are directional access points that look like little claymore mines..they are sweet.

and yes to add to what berg said, we got 2 asa 5505's in that rack, and also one of them is a cisco wireless lan controller...

MarvsX how do you like those "V Channel" wall mount rack mount that lets the server hang vertically? You dont need rails right? Just mount to the front?

I couldn't tell what they were because I saw RG-6 coax going to them...what is that used for?

MarvsX how do you like those "V Channel" wall mount rack mount that lets the server hang vertically? You dont need rails right? Just mount to the front?

they are cool. And no, they do't need rails. You just mount those things to the wall and then the server sits right on top of it....

The 1300 & 1400 series wireless bridges from cisco use coax to send power and ethernet to the bridge from the injector. Works pretty neat. Don't have to worry about sealing up your ethernet port on the brdie that way. I've used several of them over the years and only had one issue when we found the client had let a tree grow in front of it.

Back