NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Review @ [H]

Brent_Justice

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Review @ [H] -
Today NVIDIA is answering the demands of money conscious gamers by introducing the new GeForce GTX 460. The GTX 460 is a refinement of the Fermi architecture, designed to land significant performance improvements for gamers resting in the $200 USD sweet spot. We will find out if this truly does deliver gaming bliss on the cheap and why NVIDIA is calling the GTX 460 an "Overclocker’s Dream."

Last edited:
Nice, this looks like the card I've been waiting for, thanks for the review.

About damn time nVidia got their ass in gear! I can't wait to see how productive these 460's will be at folding since the power draw and temps are finally manageable! I'm still an ATI person, but never hurts to see some competition on all fronts.

Good review, thanks. Looks like this should be a good video card for gamers.

This video card is a big disappointment from my perspective, but oh well.

Great review! Looks like this card will make a lot of people happy.

fixed, thanks - Brent

Thanks so much!

****, I was hoping a HD5850 would be thrown into the mix through :(

Out of the price range for comparison, this video card targets below that, in fact we were debating to include the HD 5770. Fact is though, the HD 5830 is right at this cards price point.

HD 5850 and GTX 470 will perform better than this card, they are supposed to.

Out of the price range for comparison, this video card targets below that, in fact we were debating to include the HD 5770. Fact is though, the HD 5830 is right at this cards price point.

it is a given HD 5850 and GTX 470 will perform better than this card, they are supposed to.

Fair enough. Plus I think there are plenty of reviews out there that can give people an idea of where the 5850 stands compared to the 5830 and extrapolate a reasonable idea of what performance boost a 5850 has over the 460 for the price premium.

I think a lot of people will be interested in 2D Surround performance of GTX 460 SLI vs 5850 CF.

Wow. Impressive. I guess you don't really see what these puppies can do until you OC them. And the 192 bit version peforms within a hair of its more expensive 256 bit sibling. Hummmmmm.

I think a lot of people will be interested in 2D Surround performance of GTX 460 SLI vs 5850 CF.

Sounds like an interesting comparison, I agree, got our queue filled right now, but I'll keep this comparison in mind for the future.

Wow really impressive cards indeed, would LOVE To see some SLI benches soon.

Wow. Impressive. I guess you don't really see what these puppies can do until you OC them. And the 192 bit version peforms within a hair of its more expensive 256 bit sibling. Hummmmmm.

Been sayin it then, and sayin it now, mem bandwidth aint what it use to be for determining real-world gameplay performance.

Been sayin it then, and sayin it now, mem bandwidth aint what it use to be for determining real-world gameplay performance.

Quite so, and the difference is only 64-bits and 256MB of memory. If it was 256bit vs 512 bit or 768MB vs 1536MB, we might have a different story. But as is, there is little difference.

You've already benchmarked the 470 and 480... and offerings from ATI...

Why didn't you put those in there? I don't care enough to go compare articles to articles - I want it all in one easy to use place - come on guys - i've been with you all since the early days - don't start slacking.

You've already benchmarked the 470 and 480... and offerings from ATI...

Why didn't you put those in there? I don't care enough to go compare articles to articles - I want it all in one easy to use place - come on guys - i've been with you all since the early days - don't start slacking.

The 470, 480, 5870, and 5850 are not in the same pricing bracket as the GTX 460. We compare cards based on how much they cost, trying to determine the best value for your dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been itching for an upgrade for awhile now.
I'm just holding out for an eVGA 1GB card to show up somewhere.

My 9800GT can finally be put to rest. :)

goog review. Nice to see these cards hitting 875 on core. I am waiting for the msi 1gb version to hit to get my hands on one, I don't game as much as I used to. With voltage adjustments I expect these to hit around 950 atleast.

My 9800GT can finally be put to rest. :)

Doubt it, you sell that puppy and itll still live on for 4 more years : P that group starting from the 8800GTS has been the work horse for most gamers. At the rate games are going that card will still be a minimum/recommended card for a long time I hope:p

The 470, 480, 5870, and 5850 are not in the same pricing bracket as the GTX 460. We compare cards based on how much they cost, trying to determine the best value for your dollar.

Would you like the GTX 460 included in the ASUS ARES review as well?

People want to know if kicking in that extra $$$ is going to to be worth it. not everyone sets aside exactly $xxx dollas before buying a card, then decides exactly what is best for <= $xxx.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

People want to know if kicking in that extra $$$ is going to to be worth it. not everyone sets aside exactly $xxx dollas before buying a card, then decides exactly what is best for <= $xxx.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Perhaps, but I think most people look for video cards with a specific cost range in mind.

This might just convince me to upgrade from my now ancient 8800 GTX! It's so far behind the times, I have no way to compare it to the current generation directly. Is it safe to say that the GTX 460 is both faster and more energy efficient than the 8800 GTX?

Doubt it, you sell that puppy and itll still live on for 4 more years : P that group starting from the 8800GTS has been the work horse for most gamers. At the rate games are going that card will still be a minimum/recommended card for a long time I hope:p

I agree, the card kicks butt and has been since I bought it. It's why I held on to it for so long.
I plan on using it as a backup card just in case one of my PC's video card dies. So, technically it will be getting a well deserved rest. :p

Perhaps, but I think most people look for video cards with a specific cost range in mind.
well since these overclock so well a review that includes both gtx460 models, a gtx465 and a gtx470 would be pretty good idea IMO. also throwing in SLI results and comparing those to the gtx470 and gtx480 would be a good future article too.

well since these overclock so well a review that includes both gtx460 models, a gtx465 and a gtx470 would be pretty good idea IMO. also throwing in SLI results and comparing those to the gtx470 and gtx480 would be a good future article too.

Given an infinite amount of time and resources, perhaps. But we don't live in that world.

Given an infinite amount of time and resources, perhaps. But we don't live in that world.
come on now what do you do all day? :D

xbit or guru3d will probably do an article like that since they usually do all kinds of crazy comparisons.

btw the power consumption chart doesnt make sense. you show the Galaxy card using nearly 90 more watts than the reference card under load even when both are overclocked. :confused:

come on now what do you do all day? :D

xbit or guru3d will probably do an article like that since they usually do all kinds of crazy comparisons.

btw the power consumption chart doesnt make sense. you show the Galaxy card using nearly 90 more watts than the reference card under load. :confused:

The Galaxy is overclocked out of the box.

How does this card compare to a GTX 280 as far as performance?

I have a GTX 280 and have been debating all day whether to upgrade to a 2nd for 3d vision surround with 3x 1680x1050 goodness or

2x GTX 460.

How does sli gtx 280 stack up against sli 460. Hmm so many questions so little time :D

Also are there any articles that cover software volt mod overclocks on this little monster?

Cool beans. I'm going to build this into a coworkers system in another week or two. I hope you get a chance to review SLI GTX 460's, soon.

TigerDirect's 13.2% cashback ends this month, and snagging SLI GTX 460's for $350 will likely prove to be the most insane value ever.

To be fair, I'd love to see it compared for 2D surround with the 5870. Both in power consumption (need to know what PSU to buy to plan ahead) and frame rates.

How does this card compare to a GTX 280 as far as performance?

I have a GTX 280 and have been debating all day whether to upgrade to a 2nd for 3d vision surround with 3x 1680x1050 goodness or

2x GTX 460.

How does sli gtx 280 stack up against sli 460. Hmm so many questions so little time :D

Also are there any articles that cover software volt mod overclocks on this little monster?

I think a 460 is probably comparable to a 280. Keep in mind I have not directly compared them, so this is just conjecture. The 460 has more cores, but a narrower memory bus. I'm not sure how the differences would balance, but I think you'd probably be seeing similar performance between the 280 and 460. Please don't take that for scripture, as I haven't used a 280 in months, so my recollection of its performance is not the greatest.

Good to see that Ati will finally need to pull their heads out of their rear parts and bring some serious performance to $200 price range instead of 5830.

So it looks like nVidia has FINALLY put AMD in its place. nVidia now has both the high and low end of gaming covered. 480 SLI is the best performing solution at the high end and now the 460 is the best at the low end. Wow. This is why you just can't count nVidia out, they find a way to win somehow.

Like the 480, too hot, too loud, too power hingry and now kicking sand in AMD's Eye(s)finity. Now we have the best $200 card ever based on the same too hot, too loud and too power hungry architecture.

Just plain funny!

A 460 > 470 comparison would be good in the future. I know you guys say people buy with a budget range in mind, but people also buy in performance tiers if the cost is justified.

Hopefully this ends up forcing ATI to drop prices.

So it looks like nVidia has FINALLY put AMD in its place. nVidia now has both the high and low end of gaming covered. 480 SLI is the best performing solution at the high end and now the 460 is the best at the low end. Wow. This is why you just can't count nVidia out, they find a way to win somehow.

Like the 480, too hot, too loud, too power hingry and now kicking sand in AMD's Eye(s)finity. Now we have the best $200 card ever based on the same too hot, too loud and too power hungry architecture.

Just plain funny!

The 460 is the $200 card to get, no doubt about it.

But remember the 480 GTX is going agaist 8 month old technology, 3-4 months they will need something to against ATI's new card.

I am hoping the 485 GTX really does get fixed and brought out...

Price wars FTW

But remember the 480 GTX is going agaist 8 month old technology, 3-4 months they will need something to against ATI's new card.

Sure, this is always the case, but in the case of Surround AMD has its work cut out for it. 480 SLI is handing 5870 CF its ass in multi-monitor which lets face it, who was expecting that with the SAME 480 that was launched in April? Fermi is simply more powerful and scalable than what was being said by most in April. The single 480 didn't get a Gold award, SLI was a bit better, then Surround comes out and Kyle said what the best gaming experience he ever had. Fermi has gone from too this and too that to too much for the 5000s.

Of course AMD will have a better product out the door than the 5000s in time, but my point is look at Fermi today and look at it know. I remember a post right at Fermi launch with some kind of burning flesh video as a joke labeled "3x GTX 480 Review". The only thing that's getting burned now are games at 5760x1080 with that setup.

This is a case of the first impression being pretty wrong overall I'd say.

Would you like the GTX 460 included in the ASUS ARES review as well?

I don't actually care, but... it wouldn't hurt to have an extra page in reviews showing a little broader overview of cards available, 460 vs 470 vs 480 even, just to show how one price bracket compares to another. Maybe I just wonder what exactly am I getting if I buy a 470 instead of a 460. As is I'd have to open up both reviews and flip back and forth. I mean whats the downside really? Its semi interesting information, you already have the data available, its simple to make some graphs, it would add another page w/ads.

Back