AMD Next Generation ATI Radeon Eyefinity Technology

While this may be "the most impressive" feature, in the sense that it's not just an incremental improvement in performance, I doubt this feature is going to sell many graphics cards for them in the mainstream market.

It will, however, attract a greater share of high-end customers, even if nvidia's cards are slightly faster.

I'm not sure it will sell more to the mainstream. Granted this is [H] and we're all intrigued by things like this. But how many people playing CS, WoW, etc. are even playing on our throw away hardware?
The people that are buying from Dell or off the shelf HP's aren't going to go out and buy 3 monitors for gaming. I know plenty of people in my office run 2 monitors with no issues using Intel graphics for their day to day work. Would they even care about adding another? I doubt it.
This is really for pretty serious gamers, IMO.
I bet the average consumer would trade all of those monitors for a single 17" touch screen monitor.

Man I'm thinkin of picking up 2 20" dell 4:3s that I used to have and putting them on the side of the 30 =)

You'd be surprised how many people multi-monitor OUTSIDE of gaming

In fact, studies have proven that second monitors improve efficiency in the workplace greatly. Numerous corporations give two monitors to a cubicle for certain tasks now - and you bet a lot of IT / techy guys would love to be able to take a look at a giant spreadsheet across larger resolutions

Heck, even mainstream users are adopting multi-monitor much more than just for gaming. My dad, who is mostly tech illiterate, asked about having multi-monitors and since I've set up two 22" screens for him, he now tries to multimonitor every set-up (such as a notebook + another screen at his office, etc.)

You'd be surprised how many people multi-monitor OUTSIDE of gaming

In fact, studies have proven that second monitors improve efficiency in the workplace greatly. Numerous corporations give two monitors to a cubicle for certain tasks now - and you bet a lot of IT / techy guys would love to be able to take a look at a giant spreadsheet across larger resolutions

Heck, even mainstream users are adopting multi-monitor much more than just for gaming. My dad, who is mostly tech illiterate, asked about having multi-monitors and since I've set up two 22" screens for him, he now tries to multimonitor every set-up (such as a notebook + another screen at his office, etc.)

Absolutely...and you don't need this card to do that. My work machine can do that with built-in Intel graphics. Hence I'm not sure why this is that big of a deal to the mainstream.

Absolutely...and you don't need this card to do that. My work machine can do that with built-in Intel graphics. Hence I'm not sure why this is that big of a deal to the mainstream.

Your Intel graphics can set up 3 monitors on its own? I'd like to see how you got some top secret Intel stuff!

You really don't think some people having to deal with a giant 20+ MB spreadsheet wouldn't love being able to set up 2 monitors just for the spreadsheet (be it vertical or horizontal, whichever they need) then setting a 3rd to do the work they need to in support of it?

well the big deal is to gamers, because not all games support dual displays, you can actually get the game to view your setup as a single high rez display

aka the 7xxx by 3200 rez

I couldn't stand a 2 screen setup, having the monitor split right down the middle is a no no.

well the big deal is to gamers, because not all games support dual displays, you can actually get the game to view your setup as a single high rez display

aka the 7xxx by 3200 rez

Yep, it basically tells the computer into believing it's all just one giant display rather than split up so you can partition your screens into whatever arrangement you want

You can partition it into two screens for one thing and one for another, 4 x 2, etc.

Your Intel graphics can set up 3 monitors on its own? I'd like to see how you got some top secret Intel stuff!

You really don't think some people having to deal with a giant 20+ MB spreadsheet wouldn't love being able to set up 2 monitors just for the spreadsheet (be it vertical or horizontal, whichever they need) then setting a 3rd to do the work they need to in support of it?

I just meant 2 monitors. How many people have a giant desk that can handle 3 monitors?
I'm still smelling niche.

There are many advantages of AMD's implementation of the Eyefinity technology.

You must remember this isn't a "extended desktop" thing, you're actually getting a larger resolution.

So if you have 2x22" panels, it's not 1680x1050 + 1680x1050, applications will recognize it as 2560x1050.

There are many advantages with larger useable resolutions.

I have been always using multi-monitor environments it's very useful, and I'm planning on even moving to a 3 panel setup, as I find my 2x22" panels are getting kind of clustered. With the increase in computing hardware capabilities, I'm finding myself running a lot more applications at once and I like to see what's happening on everything.

Im liking this. Mainly because im currently running Dual 24" monitors and am possibly looking forward to 3 of them especially if eyefinity shows promise in more games. Glad to see AMD had an early NDA expiration on this technology because its quite exciting... except i dont have displayport monitors.:(

I think this will sell more graphics cards AND monitors.

You can use DVI. Straight from [H]'s article about ATI Eyefinity: :)

I know you are wondering if Eyefinity will be something you can use with your current monitors. The simple answer is yes if you have DVI LCD panels.

I have some questions about this as I'm very interested in this.

Is this hardware supported or is this just some feature that's become available due to DX11?
If this is something the videocard is doing itself, does Windows see multiple monitors or it sees it as one single monitor?

The reason I'm interested in this is more for projectors. Remember that $200 LED pocket projector? Hook them up 2x2 and you can have a 1280x960 LED projector for under $1000. Hook them up 3x3 and you can have 1920x1440!

I just meant 2 monitors. How many people have a giant desk that can handle 3 monitors?

I understand where you're coming from. On the flip-side though, how many people think that two monitors is the limit since every graphics card comes with only 2 slots, and since Matrox was the only way to go in the past?

What happens when 3+ displays per video card becomes the norm? Then suddenly having 3 monitors becomes the 2-monitor setup of today...

Remember, the technology to enable > 2 monitors was either:
a) Not possible by the GPU itself; or
b) Required additional (expensive) hardware

Those held people back. Now if it becomes feasible for the mainstream though, what happens?

And if the deals with monitor makers to make smaller bezel'd ones that can be stacked is any indication, the monitor makers are taking notice

Is this hardware supported or is this just some feature that's become available due to DX11?
If this is something the videocard is doing itself, does Windows see multiple monitors or it sees it as one single monitor?

The reason I'm interested in this is more for projectors. Remember that $200 LED pocket projector? Hook them up 2x2 and you can have a 1280x960 LED projector for under $1000. Hook them up 3x3 and you can have 1920x1440!

Check this: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3635

Article states that it is inherent in the GPU design and it will show up as a single monitor (or however you want to cluster them) in Windows

3-4 screens in portrait mode could be an interesting option if you have limited deskspace.

God, just imagine 3 x 30" in portrait mode...

May I recommend Ergotron. You don't need a big desk then, just some space next to it... :D

I have 4. :p

It does greatly improve my productivity, and it's great to have everything easily available. To run all 4 though I do have to run 2 video cards. If I could run 4 monitors, with their own image, on a single video card, I'd go for it. Free up some case space, use less juice.

I couldn't stand a 2 screen setup, having the monitor split right down the middle is a no no.
Me too. That last shot w/ the car and the tic tac toe lines going across it...ugh...ack...incredibly distracting.

holy shit that is impressive....man i might have to get 2 more 28 inchers..

Can we say goodbye to Matrox Triplehead? lol

I can totally understand the argument from productivity, but I don't think I can handle multi-screen gaming with the monitor frames separating the image. Unless in-game content (UI, inventory, map, etc...) was the only thing relegated to different displays I think it'd be too distracting.

Well in most games, the center screen is where most goes on, but immersiveness is lost when there is no peripheral vision. Humans see movement, and even if you aren't focusing on it, it will catch you attention. So the bars aren't nearly as important if they're off to the side on a 3 monitor setup, but it does add a lot to the immersiveness.

How does this work in Vista/7 if you can't create one huge horizontal/vertical span anymore? :confused::confused:

W00t, I can finally hook up and make full use of my Sony 4k projector (requires 4 1080p inputs)... If i could ever afford the thing :p

Me too. That last shot w/ the car and the tic tac toe lines going across it...ugh...ack...incredibly distracting.

You're thinking too inside the box. If this tech takes off companies will strive for smaller and thinner bezels...

I already have 2 x 30" hanging off an Ergotron LX Tripple stand, it will not handle the weight of a third screen.

I don't feel the insanity to upgrade to 3x30" just yet.... :p

It will come... and by then, you will find a place for the third screen. :D

Sweet setup you have btw! :D

Anyone else feel like having to look at all of the monitors (the frames etc) is really annoying? Id much rather have 1 full picture instead of scaling it through 8 monitors..

1252542061vF1413MgL9_1_4_l.jpg

an example is that.. it looks terrible.

It is all in the hardware and software, really has nothing to do with DX11 inherently.

If you go back and look at this evaluation of the Matrox TripleHead2Go, it is similar to this, but all built into the GPU and controlled by CCC.

Windows sees all displays, you are able to setup groups to configure them how you want them.

This looks very cool. It will definitely be selling a lot of hardware for AMD/ATI. I can't wait to pick up a 5870 or 5870x2.

I doubt this feature is going to sell many graphics cards for them in the mainstream market.

If this feature is included for free why wouldn't this sway someones choice?

It isn't just high end users either. I am not a high end gamer, and I won't be looking until this makes it onto a mainstream sized/priced card.

I was looking for a way to do more than two monitors on one basic card. I am happy to just get that. The multi head gaming is a bonus. I don't know if I will ever set up TH for gaming.

But unless NVidia increases multi monitor support, they are simply out of consideration.

My next graphics card must at minimum support 3 monitors. It is long past the time this should happen.

>2 monitor support is a must have feature for my next card.

Id be much happier if they were releasing something like physx instead of something like this.

I can see this working great if you own 3 monitors due to the level of pheriphal vision viewing, but 2 monitors? Since this technology spreads the picture over 2 monitors wouldn't the center view be stuck between the two bezels of the monitor?

I know a couple of people running 2 monitors, but 3? That's a very niche crowd. This won't work well with 2 monitors. Seems 3 is the absolutely minimum. Great feature! but very niche in terms of wide spread acceptance.

P.S. Whatever happened to that 3 LCD rear projection monitor (with no bezels)? Made a splash some time ago but has fallen off the face of the earth....

Yeah I have no idea how anyone would want to play a game with those huge gaps in it. This is great for graphic design though. I use dual monitor just for web design and a still wish I had more screen room.

Hey, Kyle. I'm curious. Did AMD say if Eyefinity will work in conjunction with Crossfire? I can imagine that with that many pixels, not all games may run as smoothly as WoW. This is truly awesome stuff, though. Geez, now what am I going to do? I wanted to get a solid state drive, but now I'm tempted to get one of these cards and a couple of monitors. Being a computer geek with very little disposable income really sucks. :(

I totally agree. Until we get monitors with extremely thin bezels (say 2mm) I'm holding off.

W00t, I can finally hook up and make full use of my Sony 4k projector (requires 4 1080p inputs)... If i could ever afford the thing :p

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Screw monitors and their bezels. Use projectors, and butt those screens right next to each other with no bars inbetween.

I'm also wondering, at some point the screen becomes so large that it extends beyond your peripheral vision, at what point is the screen (and I know its blasphamy to say it) big enough?

We don't need bigger monitors, we need monitors with more DPI.

3-4 screens in portrait mode could be an interesting option if you have limited deskspace.

God, just imagine 3 x 30" in portrait mode...
That's exactly the thought that came to my mind as well. That would be simply awesome.

I do wonder, however, about the GPU's ability to render such a huge number of pixels in a more modern game than WoW.

Doing work with multiple monitors is great, but I've never liked gaming on multiple monitors. Having the bezels break up the picture just gets too distracting. So it has no basis in my decision to buy a graphics card.

Back