Do i get this right? Crysis is unplayable on VeryHigh settings on any current system?

Nom Anor

Limp Gawd
Here's what I tested it on:

Core 2 X6800
8800 GTX
1 GB RAM
2056 x 1980 (30" display)
AA x 0

A whooping 8 FPS :eek:

Totally unplayeable. And i doubt enabling SLI and adding more RAM would make it much better.

(and there is no point point in playing it on anything less than Very High)

You get this right. You just need to wait for the final release and next generation video cards. I'd recommend adding 1GB for now.

turn Shader Quality down to High and keep everything else on Very High and it should play nicely

Trying getting some more ram and maybe turning down the res a notch, holy hell.

Core 2 X6800
8800 GTX
1 GB RAM
AA x 0

Totally unplayeable. And i doubt enabling SLI and adding more RAM would make it much better.

That is the problem.

E6600 @ 3.4
2GB RAM
1600 x 1200
8800 GTX

=

Dismal framerates.

Dissappointing to say the least, but if you think about it, this is what we experienced with FarCry / FEAR when they came out. Maybe not quite this bad, but bad nonetheless. It amazes me that the source engine stuff looks so good and plays so fast with 16Q AA and max aniso. Bummer.

This is an expensive hobby.

Something tells me the 9800GTX won't let us play maxxed out either. This game is a few generations away to be playable at maxxed settings IMO.

]

You don't play games that you can't max? That's pretty pathetic... whatever happened to, oh, GAMEPLAY and FUN?

You people ALL need to stop whining about this. 1 year old hardware (i.e. the 8800s) will not play this game on high or very high at crazy resolutions, period. It's been the same with EVERY other major game release in the past couple years. The only difference was that there was a newer gen in between which played it a little better. That isn't happening here, so turn down the settings and WAIT.

For those of you running SLI turn it off. My FPS jumped up quite a bit by turning SLI off. For some reason it has a negative impact on the game right now. Also, to get decent frame rates I have to run the game at 1280x800 4xAA. I'm still messing with it, but that's about as good as I've gotten it to play so far.

That is a ridiculous resolution to play games on, seriously, if you are going to buy that big of a display to game on use 1080i/p. It is just plain idiotic to only want to play the game on very high settings, those settings WERE NOT MADE FOR THIS GENERATION. get it through your head.

People have seem to have forgotten that this isn't a freaking tech demo..

A 3k dollar system and only 1gb of ram.

I had 2 GIGs but the pos motherboard evga680i fried one line of memory, and i just took out the other one.

anyway, to all the tards who say that "what happened to the fun, gameplay blah bla" i can say thats there is NO FUN in playing a game that looks like shit.

id rather run through FarCry again.

It is just a demo,remember.By the time it's released,it may be better prepared to perform with current systems.And only 1 gig of ram certainly doesn't help.

You don't play games that you can't max? That's pretty pathetic... whatever happened to, oh, GAMEPLAY and FUN?

You people ALL need to stop whining about this. 1 year old hardware (i.e. the 8800s) will not play this game on high or very high at crazy resolutions, period. It's been the same with EVERY other major game release in the past couple years. The only difference was that there was a newer gen in between which played it a little better. That isn't happening here, so turn down the settings and WAIT.

How old the hardware is shouldnt have anything to do with it!!

Sure, the hardware is 1 year old - it's also still the VERY BEST available...currently, nothing beats the G80. So yes, having the very best, it's perfectly proper to have high expectations.

As such, it's not the same as every game release. There is no better hardware!

Sure, the hardware is 1 year old - it's also still the VERY BEST available...currently, nothing beats the G80. So yes, having the very best, it's perfectly proper to have high expectations.

Best =! good enough.

I had 2 GIGs but the pos motherboard evga680i fried one line of memory, and i just took out the other one.

anyway, to all the tards who say that "what happened to the fun, gameplay blah bla" i can say thats there is NO FUN in playing a game that looks like shit.

WTF dude? Again - res too high.

Crysis, no fun? LOL!

Just play it on high/medium and turn the resolution down. This game is meant to pwn all current hardware, even @ 1280x1024!

Sense of entitlement + unrealistic expectations = delicious tears.

I rather like that the game requires as-yet unreleased hardware to run at top quality. That way I know when I get that shiny new video card I will get more of a benefit than an increase to an already acceptable framerate.

My system:
Q6600 @stock
4 GB RAM
8800GTS 320 MB @ stock
22' monitor 1680 x 1050

runs this demo perfectly adequately at mixed medium-high settings at my native resolution. I'm looking forward to upgrading my video card, and seeing a prettier game, rather than see the same game at 70FPS instead of 60FPS.

Core 2 X6800
8800 GTX
1 GB RAM
AA x 0

2056 x 1980 (30" display) is your problem. You will not be able to play it anywhere near that resolution.

turning the shaders down to medium and the post processing to high was what seemed to give me the best mix of performance and IQ (at 1920x1080).. I ran with shadows on low and most other settings on med also.. no aa. I was getting fluid frames through 99% of the game... I might try the disable SLI trick as I guess it's deactivated in the demo itself then bounce some some of the other settings to high.. but the shaders setting seems like the biggest fps killer.

Yes, and that's nVidia/ATi's fault being complacent because this game didn't come out when it was supposed to! And yes, very best != good enough. So suck it up and wait for the next gen.

Trying getting some more ram and maybe turning down the res a notch, holy hell.

Seriously how did you spend so much on CPU and video and end up with 1GB RAM? -__-

Its not going to let you play at that res, but still...

I tried the demo on windows xp directx 9 at 1920x1080 with high setting no AA. Its looks nice and plays good with 169.01 nvidia driver.

[email protected]
4x1gb ddr2(3gb that is used)
evga 8800gts
42" westy lvm-42w2 1.0 1080p dvi.

I'm not using the 169 driver and I was able to play smoothly at 40fps everything high at 1400x900. The scenery towards the end of the level looks amazing. I always skip a generation when buying video cards so this 8800 is going to have to last me til next November. I must admit the 2nd time through the demo was a lot more fun than the first, so I take back all the negative comments. This game is going to be bad ass,

I just checked.

I actually have 2GB of RAM

(i had though the sticks were 512mb each. turns out they are 1gb each)

I'm betting several million people who aren't spoiled little shits like you who grew up with an NES would disagree. Good graphics? Nope. Great games? Hell yes.

Good graphics alone do not a good game make, not even close. Unreal2 is a good example. Boy it looked pretty, but boy did it suck.

I'll take awesome gameplay over pretty pictures any day.

My system runs the demo pretty well at medium settings at 1920x1200, so I expect the release copy will be fine.

turning the shaders down to medium and the post processing to high was what seemed to give me the best mix of performance and IQ (at 1920x1080).. I ran with shadows on low and most other settings on med also.. no aa. I was getting fluid frames through 99% of the game... I might try the disable SLI trick as I guess it's deactivated in the demo itself then bounce some some of the other settings to high.. but the shaders setting seems like the biggest fps killer.

You may want to state average frame rates using Fraps. Using terms like "fluid frames" is very subjective. Some people clearly think 20FPS is fluid while other won't accept anything less than 40 as being fluid.

I'm not using the 169 driver and I was able to play smoothly at 40fps everything high at 1400x900. The scenery towards the end of the level looks amazing. I always skip a generation when buying video cards so this 8800 is going to have to last me til next November. I must admit the 2nd time through the demo was a lot more fun than the first, so I take back all the negative comments. This game is going to be bad ass,

Yea I have to say, once I got my setting sorted and turned off fraps, going back through I enjoyed the "game" a lot more.

Man this is funny stuff.

I don't know how anyone that's been gaming more than a year could expect Crysis to run well at that res with full settings on that hardware. Get a grip and get real. The best I could see even seriously hoping for was getting near max settings at 1920x1200 in 2007. Of course if you think games are just unplayable below 2560x1600 just give away your PC, connect with reality for a bit, then come back in a year or two. :rolleyes:

The one g of ram is just sad lol its only like 65 bucks to buy a awesome pair the gksill is awesome in my opinoin good price and gets the job done.

My system
Amd 6000
8800gts 640
2 G Gskill ram ddr2800
22" View sonic lcd

I get like 34-25 fraps per second with my card oc to 685/1675/1027 Is that good with everything set to high settings. O and whats a good overclock for the card ?

Great Idea to make games that won't run now. Maybe in 5 years they may work right.

I'll still buy them and maybe some day someone will make it work.

That sounds like MS here.

Wow you guys are a bunch of whiners.
It does work right. It is SUPPOSED to punish hardware. It still looks better than most games at medium and high settings. I'm playing on high @ 1280*800 and it looks great.

If you have issues running it outside of the "for future hardware configs only" Very High setting, please list if you're using Vista or XP, DX10 or DX9, 32 or 64 bit to help track down what's going on. I've so far seen one guy who has the same performance (99%) in DX10 and DX9, when DX10 in Crysis was said to improve performance.

The game does not look like shit if you have the settings on High or even medium. If you're basing the entire gameplay off of just GRAPHICS, then just uninstall the game and don't bother. There's no way in hell anyone can run the game on max and at a ridiculously high resolution.

You're running it way too high and you've only got one gig of ram. If you want a performance boost, lower the rez, get more ram.

I play it on Medium at 1280x1024 and the game looks great and it's actually FUN.

well i consider AA /AF to be standard, not the exception, so yes. there currently is no system that can play crysis using dx10, very high + ANY amount of AA/AF. not with 1280x1024, and definetly not with any resolution high than that. 800x600 might give you playble frame rates.

Back