Thx for the great advice guys. A few comments:
1) Yeah, I use a 24" LCD at 1920x1200, thus the desire for SLI. Wanna' keep that option open.
2) What's the 780 do that the 750 doesn't? I didn't see much in the way of features.
3) 8gb is just a fantasy. Can prolly skip it easy.
4) I know...
Final thoughts -- thanks to all who have contributed help to my quest for a new PC!
1) I know everyone is directing me to the Corsair PSU. I want the extra 100w though. Is Zalman a good name? Where else can I turn for a good PSU that's in the 800w-1000w range?
2) Mobo. I want to stick...
Sorry -- just 2GB RAM in my current rig, plain old ddr1.
So it sounds like the consensus is...
1) Get the e8400 chip and worry about Nehalem next year
2) Get an 8800GT now to minimize my risks this summer, as I *DO* want the top-end vid. card available. I can either sell the 8800GT if...
So, I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade now. Been playing Age of Conan and my PC just isn't cutting it. I use my PC for 90% gaming, at 1920x1200.
This is what I have now, running XP:
CPU AMD x2 4400+
Mobo Abit a8n SLI
RAM DDR2 800 chips
PSU OCZ 600W Gamestream
GPU eVGA 7800GT...
So, I just built my first comp. Athlon 64 3200, Lian Li PC-65, Corsair XMS 1GB PC-3200 RAM, Antec TruePower 480, 70GB Raptor, Asus K8V Deluxe.
I'm not oc'ing anything. Everything is at stock speeds. The fans in the case are the stock fans that came with it.
Idle, it's about...
Well, have my zalman installed after a lot of headacher. I'm still at like 38 idle / 46-48 load. not sure why it's so hot??? My wired are EVERYWHERE (it looks like spaghetti in my case), but would that make so much of a diff.? I have a Lian Li pc-65 case.
However, it's a LOT less noisy :p
So you're suggesting that I don't put any grease on the HSF itself, not even putting some on and then wiping it off to get it into the invisible grooves of the surface?
That would make life much easier ;p
Okay, a few questions off of that page.
1.) As this is an Athlon 64 chip, that presumably has a heat spreader, I should just have to drop a bb sized pellet of the grease on the CPU and then "wiggle back and forth" the hsf plate on top of it.
NOT spread the compound?
2.) Since this is an...
Screwed up the first time I applied thermal grease (the good Silver brand) on my stock HSF / A64 3200+. WAY TOO MUCH APPLIED! :P My cooling sucks - my comp. idles at like 39C.
Anyway, please help me make sure I do it right this time. If anything looks wrong below, I can really...
So a dot on the cpu, and you don't spread it around -- y ou just place the HSF on the dot and let it squish?...
For the HSF, please tell me if this is right (Thanks!)
Apply to only the area the CPU will touch (which is damend hard to figure out). Spread around with plastic bag.