Add Memory, windows wont boot. Suggestions?

lordroy

Gawd
OK helping a buddy with computer and installing new RAM. No overclocking or anything special in this one.

Motherboard: Asus K8S-LA (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 3300+, 2400 MHz (12 x 200)
Motherboard Version: 1.04

RAM: 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Memory Timings 3-3-3-8 1T
Hyundai HYMD264 646B8J-D43 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)
Module Type:Unbuffered
Error Detection Method: None

Now, he went and bought this:

LOOKS THE SAME TO ME

I installed it, in the empty slot 2 on the MB. Bios sees it. Starts to boot, gets (up to, but doesnt show) Windows Boot Screen, hangs.
I swapped slot 1 and 2. Bios sees it. Starts to boot, gets (up to, but doesnt show) Windows Boot Screen, hangs.
I then pull out the original memory that came with the system leaving the new memory in slot 1. Bios sees it. Starts to boot, gets (up to, but doesnt show) Windows Boot Screen, hangs.
I swapped slot 1 and 2. Bios sees it. Starts to boot, gets (up to, but doesnt show) Windows Boot Screen, hangs.
I pull out the new memory, install the old memory back into either slot. I swapped slot 1 and 2. Bios sees it. Starts to boot, gets to Windows Boot Screen, and runs fine.

Is there some reason that Windows would not boot even when the BIOS and system runs fine with it?

Am I missing something? BIOS wont let me change memory timings or anything. (DAMN YOU HP!)

Thanx, in advance,

-=R=-

maybe a bad stick of ram, cuz if it boots with original ram stick, and then u took that one out and put in new one and it doesnt boot.

I would say that its a dodgy stick of ram.

EDIT:

I just looked at the website he bought it from, and dam its a gay looking site, they have a sandra memory test, and they proudly show there ram as being the uber in bandwidth, but they compared pc3200 to pc2100, so no wonder its going to have a better score.

Also, it says to assure against DOA ram, you can pay x amount to ensure you get working ram = WTF

That site has BAD RAM written all over it IMO.

RMA the stick and just tell him to get his money back and to not get a replacement stick from them...

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
maybe a bad stick of ram, cuz if it boots with original ram stick, and then u took that one out and put in new one and it doesnt boot.

I would say that its a dodgy stick of ram.
Even if BIOS sees it, tests it, and boots? I would have figured that it would not have gotten past boot screen if that were the case.

-=R=-

yea, it dont matter whether bios see's it or no, it can still be faulty.

or it can be that the mobo doesnt like it, like the dude says in the post below this.

lordroy said:
Even if BIOS sees it, tests it, and boots? I would have figured that it would not have gotten past boot screen if that were the case.

-=R=-
Oh yeah... a bad stick of ram can be subtle or chaos. try ruunning memtestx86 for atleast 2 passes, if not longer... try putting them in a different computer....

sounds like a bad stick though... Or could be incompatable with the mb too. strange things can happen

when I clicked on the companies Dual Channel kits it lists it as 128x4 hi-density ram the on-die memory controller for the Athlon64 CANNOT use ***x4 high density ram and will not boot into windows. Of course their fine print ensures them 20% (from the restocking fee) for "compatability issues" it's way overpriced for high density ram too, it usually runs under $100 for 2 gigs of dual channel! http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2GB-2-X-1GB...3877992QQihZ013QQcategoryZ74942QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back