Yahoo Shutting Down Several Digital Magazines

HardOCP News

[H] News
As part of its recent restructuring plan, Yahoo will be shutting down several digital magazines. The affected digital magazines include Yahoo Food, Health, Makers, Travel, Parenting, Real Estate and Autos.

On our recent earnings call, Yahoo outlined out a plan to simplify our business and focus our effort on our four most successful content areas – News, Sports, Finance and Lifestyle. To that end, today we will begin phasing out the following Digital Magazines: Yahoo Food, Yahoo Health, Yahoo Parenting, Yahoo Makers, Yahoo Travel, Yahoo Autos and Yahoo Real Estate.

I didn't know they had digital magazines.

Perhaps it was weak marketing? Every time I hear Yahoo is shutting something down, I am alerted that they actually had that service. Other than email, groups, search, news, games, etc., I don't know what Yahoo's portfolio contains. They could have the best services out there, and people wouldn't know. Word of mouth isn't enough these days.

Yahoo might as well just discontinue all their money-losing operations (which is all of them) and just change their name into Yahoo-Alibaba holding company Inc.

I didn't know they had these magazines either, may be if they advertised a little bit it could have helped. The only reason I even go to google is to check their financials page and scout the comments on financial message boards.

The only one I had ever seen was Yahoo Autos. It was complete garbage, written by people who knew nothing about cars. I can only assume the others were similar.

This makes me sad, I used to work at Yahoo! Travel, although when they took out all the content and just put a crapton of pictures on the front page a couple years ago, it was basically dead anyway.

Back