Wireless Mouse Stopped Working

sgeneris

n00b
I have 2 identical laptops with two identical wireless mice. They have worked flawlessly in close proximity for years, without interference.

Today one of the mouse stopped working: I see the pointer on the screen, but it is frozen and there is no other response to the mouse.

Both mice work on both computers with one of the bluetooth adapters, neither works with the other adapter on either computer. This suggests a bad adapter.

I have a third, different mouse, which does not work on either computer with any of the adapters, includin its own. That makes for 2 bad adapters.

Are these adapters prone to sudden failure for no reason?
Are they interchangeable -- do they work with any mouse? If so, how don't they interfere when they are close?
Will any new adapter do -- anything should I pay attentio to when I order? They range from $15 to <$1 -- makes any difference?

you have tried new batteries right?
which mice? if they are logictech with unifi/logi bolt dongles you can re-pair them to a new donngle no prob and should work fine near each other. other types, not so much.
1688317349167.png
1688317501839.png

Yeah, batteries would be my first suspect. Also remove any new devices you may have gotten around the time this started, wired or otherwise, from the room. Some devices may emit radio frequency noise which can interfere with other devices. Also check for dust/hair under the lens/emitter, as that can cause erratic behavior or even prevent it registering movement altogether.

Speaking of, does the mouse/mice still register clicks when it's not registering movement? If so, that points more towards a tracking (optics) issue than a communication disruption. If clicks also vanish, then (interrupted) communication is more likely. If they don't click or track ever, even momentarily, then either low battery or an issue with the receiver or windows driver is likely.

Back