Windows Forced Update Causing Post Code 00

Teenyman45

2[H]4U
As the title says, Windows forced an update on my computer and on attempted reboot it was showing Post Code 00.

With my 7950x roughly every third or fourth time Windows has forced an update it has altered or outright corrupted something as it would repeatedly crash on restart and forced me to clear CMOS in order to boot properly. In the past, that was the end of it other than having to re-dial in RAM settings better than JDEC 4800.

This time however, when the computer tried to reboot it displayed code 00. Clearing CMOS allowed it to load Windows, but restarting would again show 00. Cold booting from power off led to a normal boot this afternoon while any restart brought 00. That lasted for a few hours and now cold booting leads to A6 freeze (scsi detect meaning lack of boot drive) while warm boot / restart means 00.

edit to add: following the CMOS clear, I ran Cinnebench a couple of times as a basic stability test and voltage sometimes would jump past 1.4v when loading a new pass and re-engaging all cores.

Is my chip dead or nearly dead?

Last edited:
unless you are doing the optional firmware update its not windows update screwing up your bios. is the bios up to date? since youre clearly not talking about your sig rig, what are the entire system specs?

I haven't updated my sig rig in over a decade. Full specs of the current computer are:

7950x with Thermal Grizzly CPU guard
MSI X670E Ace with Bios 7D69v14
64 GB kit (2x 32) of G. SKill F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK (a 1.4v 6,400 kit downclocked to 1.35v and 6,000 because AM5)
XFX 6900XT Speedster Zero factory water blocked (not gonna buy a pre-installed EK block again)
Noctua NHT2 paste on the CPU and on the GPU following a strip and rebuild to fix a 100 degree GPU hot spot
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB with the latest firmware in the PCIe 5.0 slot
Superflower LeadeX Gold 1,300 watt PSU
Techn AM4 block (mates just fine to AM5)
2 Alphacool pumps
Singularity Reservoir
2x 480x80mm Alphacool NeXxXos Monsta radiators
1x 120x45mm Alphacool NeXxXos radiator
Swiftech Lok-Seal fittings and Alphacool fittings
Koolance QD4 quick disconnects
A mix of Noctua and Nidec Gentle Typhoon Fans
Case Labs TH10 case
LG C242 monitor

The case, radiators, Swiftech fittings, and all but four of the fans have carried over from my sig rig in rebuild after rebuild.

Whenever I'm about to do something in the BIOS, I pre-disconnect all non-OS drives, though when connected these are 2x WD 4tb Enterprise Black drives (RE4 I think) in software RAID1, 2x Seagate enterprise drives (name escapes me) in software RAID1, and 2x Samsung 840 pro 256GB drives in software RAID0.

k, little more than we needed but thurough! not sure which exact mobo* that is but other in its series now have a v19 bios. maybe see if yours does.
i know the psu is a gooder, but got another to try with?
edit: now i see the "Ace" part... update to v19

Last edited:
The v14 BIOS isn't even listed on the support site anymore, making me think they pulled it for some reason. You probably want to update your BIOS to avoid whatever problem caused MSI to pull it from the support site.

Known issue with MSI mobo and latest win update rollback update to fix.

Back