Windows 11 detecting half of Memory installed

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Untitled.jpg

So I enabled XMP then found only half of my memory was being used. 32Gigs vs: 16Gigs So I swapped out with some other stick then I couldn't get it to boot or post.Took out the Cmos battery to get it to boot again Then put in the old Crucial 3600 sticks in and still only showed half of being used. Watched a few video on changing the value in MSConfig but that didn't work or changing memory value in MSCONFIG but it defaults back to 16 gigs. It was working yesterday unless XMP did something to the memory it didn't like I disabled it for now. It shows 32 Gigs of memory in the Bios but on Boot it only shows 16 Gigs. I didn't try testing all the sticks it might just be some bad Ram slots.

Last edited:
I have no idea I tried all 4 sticks on all 4 slots I think all the slots work and all the sticks work :confused:....... just not at the same time all are installed. So I can either buy a DDR5 motherboard or buy a dual dimm kit with higher memory capacity. At least I know my motherboard isn't broken Asus Z690 Tuf that is what I get for upgrading to a 13700KF and enabling XMP for kicks. Would really like a DDR5 motherboard but just going to get a cheap DDR4 kit. Think it's a software issue I have the latest Bios...

Made me feel better after watching Jay 2 Cents have problems with trying to enable too many sticks. If you look at some of the DDR5 motherboards they don't have x4 slots anymore.

Made me feel better after watching Jay 2 Cents have problems with trying to enable too many sticks. If you look at some of the DDR5 motherboards they don't have x4 slots anymore.

That's always been a thing - historically it was to push memory OCs as high as possible by eliminating possible interference, but with DDR5, more and more investigation is showing that it's so sensitive that you can really ~only~ get away with 2 sticks in many cases (and it's a huge risk to try 4). At least for now.

Sadly this is one of those scenarios where you need to consult the MBs manual for their verified ram compatibility. So few people run 4 sticks that many manufacturers don’t test their ram kits for running 4 at once. It’s a PITA that has been an issue for a long time.

For the time being disable XMP and let the timings be set automatically by the board, it’s going to run a lot looser but your compatibility will likely go up as a result.

Yeah, sounds like an early-adapter DDR5 issue. I would still try to boot your system with each module on it's own, and run memtest86 each time. I would want to 100% verify that all 4 modules are working great (even if not at the same time)

Back