Which one's better: Velocity Micro or ABS?

Which one's better: Velocity Micro or ABS?

• Velocity Micro

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • ABS

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters

GDGD

Weaksauce
I would like to build a new computer, but in the event that I can't, which one's better?

Vote in the poll and comment on why you picked what.

ABS because they're a better value (or at least they used to be, the last time I checked them out, though, was 2 years ago :p )

ABS! I got mine there, couldn't be happier. I bought it 2 years ago and have been updating it myself. Buying a system with a window was VERY helpful towards my learning about computers.
Plus, hardocp gave the system a 7 from velocity micro.

Velocity Micro got a SIX on stability...that's kinda a major "do not buy" flag as far as I'm concerned. So ABS by default. But I still tend towards a major OEM if I'm making recommendations for a prebuilt system.

ashmedai said:
But I still tend towards a major OEM if I'm making recommendations for a prebuilt system.
But the major OEMs overcharge really badly. Compare a simlarly equiped system at ABS to an alienware. compare the prices. Do alienware logos REALLY cost that much?

Bugger Alienware, I'm talking Dell or Gateway or something (Gateway's still kicking, right?). IMO the reason to buy a prebuilt system is for the support - either you can't support it yourself, or you don't want to bother with supporting it yourself.

My sister has a gateway, I told her to get it after she didn't let me build her one =/
That thing has been working very nicely for her, 17 inch lcd, dvd burner, dvd drive, 512 mb of ram (might be a gig, can't remember), onboard video card, 200 gb HD, canon photoprinter, and a 3.0 ghz p4 in HT mode. all for under 1k. sweet deal if you ask me, especially at best buy.
I thought he was reffering to a gaming machine btw.

elite.mafia said:
I thought he was reffering to a gaming machine btw.

And you have to use an Alienware for that, exactly why? Alienware is generally overpriced eyecandy. You have people buy a prebuilt so they'll call THEM when something goes wrong instead of pestering you about it. ^_^

Dell Suppot is great when it comes to getting you a new computer to replace your broken one. And then there's the coupons...

GeForceX said:
Both are good. Just go with what is cheaper I guess. :p

-J.

That's the problem. They're both about even right now with the systems I've configured.

ashmedai said:
IMO the reason to buy a prebuilt system is for the support - either you can't support it yourself, or you don't want to bother with supporting it yourself.

I've supported all my PCs---including my current Gateway---on my own, so support isn't an issue.

Yes, I know that Gateway isn't exactly famous for gaming PCs, but I was new to gaming back then.

GDGD, I had the same issue as you do now. Either ABS or Velocity Micro. I ended up going with VM, and I have my system now. I could not be happier, and I do not regret anything at all. It was a pretty close decision though. VM does have some technological advantages over ABS at the moment: I don't believe ABS has dual core CPU's yet, or even the newer i955 motherboards. But if you aren't looking for those, then I guess it does not matter!

Go with teh one that has the better price on what you want..

Back