Which controller are you using for PC? (xbox?)

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
Which controller are you using for PC? I noticed a little rattle in mine when the happtic feedback vibrations activate. It is a bit distracting when I'm playing with the 5.1 sound system.

I am looking to maybe upgrade it. It is the traditional xbox 360 controller.

Which controller are you guys using?

And why?

Any difference between all the xbox controllers? ( i don't like wireless I'm ok with the cords)\

The Xbox Series controller, the latest iteration (though possibly not the latest revision if such have happened) has not broke on me, while the One controllers had problems with bumber buttons, they went bad pretty quickly - this at least applies to the revised V2 model with Bluetooth. I had a good experience durability wise with Dualshock 4 V2, then sold it to my buddy after a prolonged use for cheap, I never had issues. You need to be careful with the revisions if the controller changes for the worse, so do your research, but I'd guess usually they result in improvement if the company doesn't try to cheap out on manufacturing. If you are going to use a wire, then you might need to be careful with the choice of cable, since on the One controllers the port didn't support the metallic plug of the cable in anyway, which in time lead to bending of the plug and eventually to disconnects, though a light cable in weight may prevent this, but on the other hand light cables may not be able to support all functions like charging. To me it seems the Series controller would have the same issue, but it uses USB-C instead of Micro-USB, so I'm not sure. This bending issue was the main reason why I switched to wireless, but I feel occasionally there can be delay bumbs with the connection, even though I have the Microsoft wireless adapter like 1,5 meters away behind my display. Wireless connections are prone to bigger or lesser issues that may hamper the experience, one simple example being running out of battery, since on PC, the Xbox controller doesn't warn you about this, it just shuts off. If you play very competitively I recommend to use a wire.

Yet I need to add that after a long period of frequent use my Series controller, which I bought right when the Series consoles came up, has worn up a little bit: the left stick stirs down just a tiny bit before actually clicking and pressing, it kind of wobbles, but this has been a non-issue so far. Also I'm not totally sure if the A button double presses sometimes, since this happens very rarely, you could do this by accident in a heat of a tight session yourself. I'm happy with the quality overall, I think Microsoft deliberately improved it after a rather wide arrange of complains about the One controllers, I too sent a complain. I'd like to hear from anyone how the Dualshock 5 is quality wise, because feature wise that is a cool controller.

If you want a dependable controller with straightforward support on Windows, the Xbox 360 wired controllers are simply well done, as far as my experience goes and how many others think too - I had one years ago for a long while, but onge again I don't know about possible revisions of them. Only the D-pad is not that well suited for tight platformers; it's improved on One and Series, not being mushy, while it's pretty much as it should be on the Dualshock 4 and I guess on 5 as well. I realize you already own a malfunctioning Xbox 360 controller, but I'd say it is totally not a silly idea to fix it or buy another one, you hardly miss on anything that newer controllers can offer, though Dualshock 5's features may be neat in some games that support them, but if you consider that, you should check which games on PC actually support the features.

EDIT. added the last part

Last edited:
PS5. Seamless plug and play with the few games I would use a controller on the PC with.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
I am using a Xbox One X controller. Really happy with it, I use it over Bluetooth however I also have the PC wireless adapter but I don't notice any difference using it so to free up clutter I don't use it. If you don't want wireless you can always plug it in with a Micro USB cable. I am thinking about getting a Series 2 Elite controller for a replacement. Not having any issues but I think having the built in rechargeable battery and dock would help keep me from having to swap batteries in the middle of a game.

However, if I was you and, on a budget, I would get an Xbox Series X/S controller I believe they still come with a USB-C cable.
I don't know enough about the higher end "Competition" grade wired controllers to be any help with those, sorry.

Well I don't play any games competitively on controller. For comp I play with mouse and keyboard. I use the controller for casual games like Spiderman and Batman etc.
The Xbox controller I have has the wire permanently into the controller from the top. No chance of damaging any connection. It uses a PC adapter cable to plug into a standard USB slot anywhere on the PC. I love this connection because it is compatible and solid and no charging and no failure point on the controller itself.
Are there no better versions of these? Are they all plugging into a USB C on the controller?
This is why I asked this question because I figured they wanna sell more wireless to sell you more accessories and more often.
I don't like anything wireless on my PC mouse keyboard headphones controller all wired I hate charging and running out of charge. I also find batteries and connectors more failure points only to rebuy the same item or parts again and again.
For my phone I use wireless of course because I'm not stationary at my PC.
I guess my question is what is the newest and best Xbox controller that does NOT have wireless function at all and is hard wired?

I've got two controllers that are my faves and both are 8bitdo. Both of mine are also wireless, but there are wired versions of these controllers.

8bitdo Ultimate Controller: this is my main go to for my desktop PC. It copies the Xbox layout, feels premium, wonderful stiff analogue sticks, probably the best feeling dpad, and has a variety of controller modes (ie: Xinput, Switch mode, etc).

8bitdo Pro 2 Controller: I use this one mostly for retro and 2d platformers. It's more like a Playstation layout with the symmetrical sticks, and its that dpad positioning of the controller which makes it comfortable for 2D/retro titles imo.

xDiVolatilX I think only hardwired controllers with Xbox layout using the 'xinput' driver are from third party brands, which are usually cheap, because generally people are willing to pay for a detachable cable. Official Xbox controllers are now all detachable and you need to buy the cable separately. I cannot say if the type of cable used could cause potential issues as I experienced with the One controller, so my only advice is to not buy overly sturdy and heavy cable. There are no official revisions of the Series controller as of today, but rumours say this year a revision with various changes/improvements may come. From the mentioned things in the link below, I'd appreciate the 'modular thumbsticks' the most if they would be as I imagine.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2024/...oller-revision-still-to-be-revealed-this-year

I've had tons of them at this point.

Astro C40 - good feel in hand, second only to the Elite Series 2, but horrible reliability. Bought 2 replacement joystick modules at $20 a piece plus shipping before I took the thing apart completely, put the pieces in its included carrying case, and promptly forgot them in a box somewhere. Wish they'd fix it, could have been great. When it's working this is my favorite... But it's always broken, and the flaws are inherent.

PowerA Enhanced Wired, Fusion Pro, Fusion Pro 2 - the Enhanced Wired is an excellent backup at $35, and you can often find weird colors on clearance for less. If the grips on top of the sticks didn't start hurting my thumbs after a while and the thumb sticks themselves were a little better quality (less dead zone, smoother feeling) I could see this as my main. For a more casual gamer or a younger kid likely to damage something, these are great - cheap and cheerful. Fusion Pro and Pro 2 are solid options if you grab them on sale - I'd take them over any standard controller, the Gambit, C40 (because it's broken), 8BitDo (close)... everything but the Wolverine and Elite. Haven't tried the Pro 3 but suspect it's okay too, PowerA is safe but never amazing.

PDP Afterglow, Victrix Gambit - the Afterglow is surprisingly capable for a gimmick controller, built about as well as the PowerA Enhanced, maybe better. $50+ is steep for something so bare bones, though. The Gambit is.... Ok. Sticks feel good but not great, back triggers are a little off. There's a small sharp edge on one side of the faceplate I've tried to sand off, by it always catches. Ergonomics aren't great, back and menu (start and select, whatever) are oddly placed. Not worth the price. Probably not reliable based on other PDP products I've had. Gave this to a friend, they like it.

Microsoft Elite Series 2 (several) - bought 5 of these, they were all defective out of the box in one way or another. 2 had completely broken thumb sticks. One, the A face button only worked about 1/4 of the time. Two the right bumper barely functioned. I bought the one I have now used off Facebook Marketplace, and you better believe I made the seller let me test it before I paid. All the inputs are perfect, but the vibration motors are kind of loud. I love it, and I'm sad it's basically inevitable that it will fail. Can't in good conscience recommend them unless you find a really good deal. Can't wait till someone figures out how to do the adjustable tension thing with Hall Effect sticks!

8BitDo Ultimate Wireless - got this for my partner, I use it sometimes. Wish the sticks had smaller dead zone and there were 4 back trigger buttons instead of just 2, but otherwise solid for the price. Battery lasts a good while, included charging dock works well and isn't fiddly.

Razer Kishi V1, Wolverine V2 Chroma - the Kishi V1 is horrible because it feels just good enough in the hand to trick you so you start imagining how much fun you'll have playing GeForce Now and Xbox Cloud games on the go, or streaming from your local machine laying in bed. Sadly those dreams will never come true because the ergonomics are horrible. Parts of my hands I didn't know existed hurt after 10 minutes holding this thing. All my fingers cramp. It's a shame, because the folding mechanism is clever, the triggers have good travel, the thumb sticks actually seem to be good quality. Also, hope you are wearing something Bluetooth, are good with silence, or using your (likely obstructed) phone speakers, because if the headphone jack is on the top or bottom of your phone it's covered now. Can't use a USB-C DAC, either - yes, there's a port on the Kishi, but it's for charging only. Presumably the V2 is better, but I'll never know. The Wolverine V2 Chroma is solid, easy second place behind the Elite Series 2. Wish the back triggers were more durable - been through two of these, bad design, plastic used as a bend point in a hinge. Cheaped out, these regularly fail.

Gamesir G8 - replaced the Razer Kishi. Literally everything it wasn't - better trigger, sticks (Hall Effect), grip ergonomics... Even has proper USB-C passthrough and a (not terrible) integrated DAC/amp for 3.5nm out. Pricey, but if you're okay with the bulk it's the best option currently available.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. ASUS' offering with the little OLED screen and the Sony Dualsense Edge are on my radar, and I've seen a few used Scuf controllers in supposedly great shape come up cheap locally. Tempted.

I guess it's kind of a hobby?

Last edited:
The controllers I currently have available for use on PC (and do actually use on PC) are:
- Logitech G27 racing wheel controller
- 2x wired Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers (one was decommissioned due to damage sustained when a friend was borrowing it long-term years ago)
- 3x wireless Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers (one was modded with DPad from an original Xbox controller, one is a silver "Limited Edition" controller with a rotating, switchable DPad that broke so I can't switch it anymore cuz had to use superglue to fix)
- 3x Microsoft XB1 controllers (two original models with DPads that didn't last and other issues that led to their retirement, and one Model S revision with Bluetooth and a few better buttons such as the bumpers)
- Xbox Series X/S controller (my current main controller)
- 2x Sega Saturn USB PC controllers (authentic SLS-manufactured)
- 2x Retro-bit Sega-official Sega Genesis 6-button controllers (USB version is actually 8 buttons cuz they added two shoulder buttons)
- 3x Retro-bit Sega-official Sega Saturn USB controllers (2x first revision and 1x second revision)
- 1x Retro-bit Sega-official Sega Saturn wireless controller (2.4GHz version)
- 2x Nintendo Wii U Pro Controllers (via Mayflash adapter)
- 2x Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers
- 4x Nintendo Switch SNES Controllers (only two of them are currently in use, the other two are backups)
- RaphNet adapters allowing for use of NES controllers and NES/SNES Classic/Mini controllers on PC
- Old Mayflash adapter to connect original SNES/Super Famicom controllers to PC, but I stopped using it ages ago cuz it added too much input latency
- I guess technically DualShock 4, but I have no desire to use it on PC when I have plenty of superior options

I use whatever controller I feel is best for the game I am currently playing (or whichever I feel like using).

The triggers on my XBSX|S controller used to stick, but I fixed it:
View: https://imgur.com/a/cKO9pbI
My friend is having issues with the left analog stick not responding on his, if I recall correctly.
Aside from stuff like the above, I rarely hear about failures with XBSX|S controllers. Nowhere near the same level as I've heard/seen with X360 and XB1 controllers.

X360 controller was generally my favorite controller for modern 3D games, and I still think it's the most comfortable one, with the best shoulder buttons of all the Xbox fambly of controllers (the DPad sucked ass though). But I really like the XBSX|S controller a lot, and consider it to be a good replacement. I did use the XB1 controller for a time, but I found I still preferred the X360 controller (except for the DPad). XBSX controller is ever so slightly smaller than the XB1 controller, which makes me like it more (and also the DPad is better). I dunno, it just fits in my hands better than the XB1 controller, and feels more comfortable, especially over longer gaming sessions. I also like that the XBSX controller, like the Switch Pro Controller, has a dedicated screenshot button.

I really appreciate XB1 and XBSX|S controllers (and also wireless X360 controllers) not having proprietary, non-removable batteries. You can use whatever batteries or battery packs will fit in a 2x AA compartment. The compartment is easily accessible from the outside of the controller.

At home I normally played wired, because my PC is right next to me. The Switch SNES controllers will only work wirelessly though. Same for the Wii U Pro Controllers, which connect to the adapter that allows me to use them on PC (and PS3) wirelessly.

I borrowed a DualSense to play through R&C: Rift Apart on PC. It's an okay controller but I don't feel the need to own one myself.

I'm not happy about the modern trend of renaming the Start and Select/Back buttons to other weird shit like "Menu" and "View" (XB1 and XBSX), or "Options" and "Create" (DualShock 4/DualSense). I still call them by the old names.

...on the One controllers the port didn't support the metallic plug of the cable in anyway, which in time lead to bending of the plug and eventually to disconnects...
This happened to me too. Fuck the MicroUSB ports on those controllers. Doesn't matter what cable you use, the ports are just poorly designed, and do NOT support the connectors well at all. I lost some good MicroUSB cables cuz of that crap.

To me it seems the Series controller would have the same issue, but it uses USB-C instead of Micro-USB, so I'm not sure
I am happy to report that XBSX|S controllers have a very strong, sturdy, supportive USB-C port. I have no concerns plugging in any of my USB-C cables, and using the controllers while the cables are connected.

I'd like to hear from anyone how the Dualshock 5 is quality wise, because feature wise that is a cool controller.
The DualSense controller is a very good, seemingly well-built controller (although like most controllers from the 7th-through-9th consoles generations, it has utterly shit battery life). I've used it on friends' PS5s a few times, and then on my own PC for a few weeks. The DualShock 4 was already a massive improvement over the utterly terrible DualShock 1-3 gens, though it still wasn't for me. DualSense is better still, though again not for me. The adaptive triggers are very interesting, and when used well can even be essential for gameplay (as was the case with Rift Apart). But I don't expect many games to make use of that on PC outside of the Sony-exclusive ports. Just like how the rumble "impact triggers" of the XB1 and XBSX|S controllers almost never get used on PC, outside of say Microsoft racing games and such. Maybe they get used more with FPS games, but I play FPS games with mouse and keyboard, so I wouldn't know. The haptic rumble is okay I guess. When Nintendo used it, it just seemed like fancier rumble, nothing special, and the experience is much the same with DualSense. I barely noticed it. All the other features of the DualSense controller were already there on the DualShock 4, like the touchpad that can also be pressed as a button, and the built-in speaker (which Nintendo did first, on the Wiimotes). Nothing to really write home about, and nothing that will ever really get used on PC. I don't care for having those large touchpads on the DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers anyways, and I don't need speakers on my controllers. But yes, all around the DualSense is a far superior controller than the DualShock 4. I'm not sure about its long-term reliability though.

Are they all plugging into a USB C on the controller?
Yeah, all the modern Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft controllers use USB-C.

I guess my question is what is the newest and best Xbox controller that does NOT have wireless function at all and is hard wired?
X360 was the last time they had hardwired controllers with no wireless functionality whatsoever. Now there is only one kind of controller, and it can be used both wired and wireless. That's how it was with the XB1 controllers, and that's how it is now with the XBSX|S controllers.

I roll with a combo of the Xbox controller (the latest one, the X1X) and the PS5 pad. IMO, the Xbox pad is better for anything that uses the left analog stick, while the PS pads are better for anything the uses the directional pad. In my case, the d-pad is mostly for fighting games and retro titles.

Both are connected via Bluetooth. I've mentioned this in other threads, but not all Bluetooth adapters are worth a damn. Most of the USB variety drop inputs. That's regardless of brand, BT version, etc. You might not notice in most games, but you will in fighting games. When some moves need 14 directional inputs and 3 buttons in less than a second, you'll see. Yet the internal ones never seem to have this issue. Those are the ones built into laptops or bundled with Wi-Fi on motherboards. They work wonderfully.

Yupz.

I never could stand any of the DPads on Sony controllers.

Yeah? I think they're great. Probably my favorite ever, or at least tied with the SNES pads. With the Xbox controllers, I despise where they're placed. They're fine for macros and 1-off tasks, but when using them for movement they make my entire left hand uncomfortable. Plus, I generally prefer the + layouts vs. a circle with all 8 directions. I find the diagonals to be oddly less precise on the circular layouts, and diagonals are lifeblood in fighting games.

What was your issue with the Vita D-pad. It's perfection.
Actually PS Vita is a system I don't have a lot of experience with. It's on my list of systems to get. I soft-modded my PSP back in the late 2000s, and for years I've been wanting to do the same with a PS Vita. But yeah I can't comment on the PS Vita's DPad as I've never really gotten to try it.

Xbox Core

I only use it for casual / single player story games. I haven't tried wireless because I don't mind (the same cable charges my headphones so it's already near me). It's Microsoft so fully supported with no headaches.

If I was playing competitive shooters I would want paddles on the back. I have a DualSense Edge which is nice but I had to use my PS5 to set it up (when it first came out at least) and I can't get PS icons in a few Steam games still....probably would go XBox Elite 2 or a Battlebeaver if I got a competitive controller again.

Wow, I didn't expect so many detailed responses. Actually, so much information that I'm lost lol.

Batteries? I don't know I have never messed with batteries or charging. I hate dealing with that nonsense. I just want to pick it up and it works every time. Mouse keyboard controller all wired love it.

So which controller is the most DURABLE and won't rattle when it vibrates. My xbox360 controller has terrible rattle noise. I love the rumble, but the rattle of the top buttons immediately throws me out of the immersion of the game listening to the annoying rattle. I really enjoy the vibration that goes with the games it adds to the immersion, not the sound of the buttons though because I love to play on 5.1 surround sound speaker system and my PC is silent, so the controller is hella loud and distracting.

I want a quiet controller and a very durable controller. Of course, comfort is very important also. The Xbox 360 I have no complaints about except for the rattle.

I wonder if just buying a brand-new Xbox 360 controller is the move. But I don't want to end up with the same rattle again?

Maybe just go for the official Xbox series x? controller because it's the latest version? Is it quiet and durable? I tend to stick with name brand like Microsoft Xbox controller but if there is a better one, please let me know.

Top 3 controllers that are quiet, durable, and most compatible with all games on windows 11 PC. Of course, comfortable also.

Let's make the best buying purchase just one time, I really don't want to buy more than one. I hope the forums can guide me to the golden controller.

Thanks in advance.

I appreciate all the responses and future responses I read all of them thank you again.

I use an Xbox Elite 2 controller on my PC and SteamDeck.
IMG_2808.JPEG

I've been using Xbox controllers since the 360 since I like the shape and layout of them over the PS style controller.

Way back in the day I used to use a PS2 controller on my PC with one of those PS2 to USB converter boxes,
ps2-to-pc.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a really fancy Xbox controller, but really pricey at $330, lol.

View attachment 632456

View attachment 632460
I've been using Xbox controllers since the 360 since I like the shape and layout of them over the PS style controller.

Way back in the day I used to use a PS2 controller on my PC with one of those PS2 to USB converter boxes,
View attachment 632457
Please don't tell me you're playing Overwatch 2 with a controller bro? There's no way right? lol That elite 2 controller looks sweet as hell. How much did you pay for it?

That catch to the Switch Pro controller is that the triggers aren't analog. It would be the greatest controller of all time if they were.
If that’s the most important feature then I would use PS5 controller. For me, and the titles I’ve been playing it hasn’t been an important feature.

What do you mean triggers analog?

Also what do you guys think about the MSI controller I posted 3 posts above?

What do you mean triggers analog?

Also what do you guys think about the MSI controller I posted 3 posts above?
as in analog ;)
they arent just on/off they use the full range of the triggers motion. like a gas pedal.

looks decent but i think its the same price as a regular xb controller, which i know the quality of...

Last edited:
Please don't tell me you're playing Overwatch 2 with a controller bro? There's no way right? lol That elite 2 controller looks sweet as hell. How much did you pay for it?
Naw, I can't aim with a controller, that was M&K. I got the Elite 2 on sale for $159 or 179 a couple of years ago when I bought a Series X console.

View attachment 632456

View attachment 632460

View attachment 632457
How can you use the steamdeck and controller at the same time? A stand for the steamdeck? Is the built in controls on teh steam deck not good enough? seems like it should have been in the first place right?

How can you use the steamdeck and controller at the same time? A stand for the steamdeck? Is the built in controls on teh steam deck not good enough? seems like it should have been in the first place right?
I have a dock and plug it into a TV and use bluetooth for the controller.

IMG_4099.JPEG

Oh, I got the Elite 2 controller for $139.99, just looked at the invoice from MS.
xbox-order.png

Last edited:
Currently using DualSense with an ExtremeRate remappable back buttons/paddles kit but I keep breaking the paddles from hammering the glitched dodge exploit in Cyberpunk lol
Controller itself is good and I love the force-feedback triggers.

Before that I was using a PowerA Fusion Pro Xbone controller, that one is very well built and comes with robust mappable paddles. I think they're up to Fusion Pro 3 now, I had the original, not sure of the differences.

The DualSense is a great controller, but it's definitely less trouble-free than the Xbox controller + any 3rd party controllers based on it. Not because of anything related to the hardware, but just because a lot of games don't recognize the buttons out of the gate. They're either wrong or sometimes not recognized at all. That's usually when you have to tinker around with the Steam controller settings menu. I know there are homebrew drivers that make it work like an xinput Xbox pad, but those introduce their own complications. Everything can be solved, but it's just way less "plug and play" than the Xbox pads. It's getting way better, though. New games rarely have any issues.

Back