Which ASUS Z690 board to OC 13700K/KF with ease?

OpenSource Ghost

Limp Gawd
My ASUS Hero X WiFi easily overclocks 8700K to 5.0Ghz. I plan to upgrade to 13700K/KF (and overclock it of course) and ASUS Z690 chipset, but don't know which exact model to get. The more expensive high end ASUS motherboard provide better OC, but there is a point of diminishing returns where extra OC features on high end ASUS motherboard (MAXIMUM, etc) make little difference. I just want a motherboard on the same level of OC strength capabilities as my Hero X. I don't care for WiFi or audio or extra features like that. I just need a Gigabit (Intel preferable) built-in NIC.

I find that OC depends on the Silicon lottery not the MB. See below for the specs of my rig, very satisfied with MB I got.

Normally that was the case, but with 8700K having high-end motherboard actually improved OC stability drastically. It had something to do with number of power stages and/or VRM quality. I remember trying a lower-end ASUS motherboard with same 8700K and 5.0Ghz was very unstable. ASUS ROG Hero X simply came with enough bells and whistles.

I think these days Intel guarantees K/KF series CPU's to boost to whichever clocks, but I don't know how else CPU OC scene is differrent compared to 4 years ago... I guess I just need to read more reviews...?

Back