Where are the 8K Monitors?

I disagree about flat. A 1000R(adius) curvature is a 1000mm radius, so if you have a screen with dimensions sympathetic to that you could sit at that 1000mm ~ 40 inch away viewing distance where the pixels would be on axis to you. If you are sitting closer to that, or closer than 60 to 50 deg viewing angle on a flat screen, you are going to have more pixels off axis to you - especially on the sides but if it's a large , for example 65" 16:9 screen sitting nearer on top of a desk it would be looming above you so the uniformity would probably be bad at the top portion of the screen and the top corners, like a gradient that is more non-uniform, (more degrees away from where it should be in the center of the screen) the farther and farther away from you the pixels are. The most uniform should be if your head was aligned more or less at the center of the screen, and where the pixels were aimed as directly at you as possible.
Don't really mind if people prefer curved, and if I were to build a racing sim or something like that where immersion was the key, I might prefer that as well. But never for productivity. And neither does Samsung it seems, based on the fact that when the viewing angles are not as poor, the need for a big curve seem to go away. That said, if people prefer curved, fine by me.

As for plugging in a laptop, the ark and the 900D are both supposed to be able to do tiled multi-input, it's just that the ark is only 4k so it only gets a quad of 1080p real-estate wise and that's not a real modern "multi-monitor" environment imo.
So is the QN900C and I have also an email where Samsung has confirmed this. Actually getting it to work though...

Flat is mostly on axis at 60 to 50 deg viewing angle.

Most of the screen surface on-axis (pixels aimed close to you)

screen.optimal.viewing.angle_flat.screens_1.png

Larger fields of the sides of the screen are off-axis when sitting closer, at a wider viewing angle (causing distortion, and also non-uniform depending on the screen) when sitting closer, also lowers PPD
screen_viewing.too.near.non-optimal.viewing.angle_1.png

. . .

Curved screen sitting at the center of curvature allows you to sit nearer.

1000R.Curve.png

No matter what pixel is firing across the width of the screen, it's pointed directly at your eyes

902903_reflection-light_facing-monitor_1.gif

. . .

Most curved screens are not designed with an aggressive enough curve and with sympathetic enough sizes/ratios in order to logically sit at the center of curvature.

If you sit at the center of curvature on a screen designed to be viewed that way, as an analogy:

It would be as if you had a beam on the floor connecting your rotation-capable chair to a floor style pillar tv mount on caster wheels, with a flat screen on it. Turning your chair in this imaginary scenario, the screen turns along with it. You are still at the "head on" view radially. Now instead of rotating the monitor with the chair, duplicate the monitor along the curve with several screens and decouple the chair from the screens and spin in the chair. Then, finally, instead replace the screens with a single curved screen that follows the same arc of the circumference of that circle your spinning chair made with the end of the beam, like a math compass making a chalk line on the floor. Similarly, people using multi-monitor setups try to angle their side monitors to face them directly as best they can, it's just a lot more crude of a curve only having a single line segment on each end. Most curved monitors are not form-factors that keep the distance from the screen to your eyeballs equal. A desktop screen would have to be 700 - 750R. The ark could do it if you sat 40" away, and it would get around 60PPD or so.

. . .

So is the QN900C and I have also an email where Samsung has confirmed this. Actually getting it to work though...

Gen 1 of the ark couldn't really do other inputs in multi-view but I think the gen 2 can do it. Idk about the 900c, but I'm interested in whether the newer 900D can since it came out after gen 2 of the ark and that one connect box.

Gen 1 of the ark couldn't really do other inputs in multi-view but I think the gen 2 can do it. Idk about the 900c, but I'm interested in whether the newer 900D can since it came out after gen 2 of the ark and that one connect box.
QN900C has support for 4 multi view "areas" up from only 2 on the QN900B. But there seems to be some incompatability only giving me "not supported" but will try more when I have time for it.

QN900C has support for 4 multi view "areas" up from only 2 on the QN900B. But there seems to be some incompatability only giving me "not supported" but will try more when I have time for it.
Was able to get the Multi View working but it seems to require disabling Game Mode which also seem to break 4:4:4 which basically makes it pointless for anything text related (at least compared to an actual monitor).

. . . . .

Was able to get the Multi View working but it seems to require disabling Game Mode which also seem to break 4:4:4 which basically makes it pointless for anything text related (at least compared to an actual monitor).

Can you set the hdmi input to "PC" like you can on a LG? On LG OLED, as long as you set the hdmi input to "PC" in the input selection panels of the TV's OSD, it will be 444/rgb, even if you haven't set the named picture mode to "Game mode". You'll get more lag though due to processing so not great for games outside of game mode.

I'm hopeful that they updated the one connect box on the 900D, because it came after they updated the ark's one connect box in Gen2 of the ark. The gen2 ark's one connect box isn't compatible with the gen1 screen. Gen1 ark couldn't even do multiple external inputs via ports, only if using laggy wireless broadcast.

. . . . .

Can you set the hdmi input to "PC" like you can on a LG? On LG OLED, as long as you set the hdmi input to "PC" in the input selection panels of the TV's OSD, it will be 444/rgb, even if you haven't set the named picture mode to "Game mode". You'll get more lag though due to processing so not great for games outside of game mode.

I'm hopeful that they updated the one connect box on the 900D, because it came after they updated the ark's one connect box in Gen2 of the ark. The gen2 ark's one connect box isn't compatible with the gen1 screen. Gen1 ark couldn't even do multiple external inputs via ports, only if using laggy wireless broadcast.
There are additional "weirdness" with dithering etc that comes into play. It is doable but as a monitor nut, it would have to be better than that in order not for me to start looking into alternatives (lika a 4K side monitor). The Multi view definitely seems to be targeted at "video content" which perhaps isn't that surprising.

Having explored the QN900C a bit to get to know it, it seems like most of that fancy stuff is disabled in game mode, which simply seem to turn the processing into a basic upscaler. This is probably due to input lag reasons I would imagine. Will be interesting to see actual differences to the QN900D, especially as the Neo G9 can do 8k2k at 240 hz so they must have updated circuitry.

Hopefully I will be able to do some side by side comparison with the Neo G9 57" soon, there are some practical challenges as well :)

Last edited:
There must have been some updates to the QN900C/One Connect Box since the first QN900C I tried because I am yet to experience any kind of dropout even at 144 hz while the previous one had them all the time. And this is with the long cable as well. As mentioned before, I noticed that packaging were a bit different the other time around and I also recall thinking that the One Connect box look slightly different, although I could be remembering that last part wrong (it is not the QN900D one according to pics). I am using the exact same setup including cables.

Reactions: elvn
like this
From a QN900D owner's youtube video replies. His replies are a little broken language-wise so far so idk how valuable the info will be.

1000005546.jpg

Last edited:
Back