Volume control not controlling volume

alxlwson

You Know Where I Live
Title says it.
Brand new Thinkpad P16v1, fresh windows 10 install. Updated driver from Lenovo.
The windows volume control doesnt adjust any volume for anything. The slider works, only muting actually does anything. In the volume mixer, all sliders are ganged.
I did run the Windows Troubleshooter for audio issues but as usual, that was completely useless.

Anyone have any ideas? Duckduckgo was no help.

look at what the audio chip is(device manager) and grab the oem drivers maybe
edit: and if you mean the keyboard buttons arent working, those may require lenovo drivers, i know lots of hps and dells do...

Last edited:
Do you have multiple audio devices? Make sure the one which you are hearing is selected as the default (e.g., if you're connected to a dock the USB audio might be selected as the default one).

look at what the audio chip is(device manager) and grab the oem drivers maybe
edit: and if you mean the keyboard buttons arent working, those may require lenovo drivers, i know lots of hps and dells do...

Its a realtek device. I have grabbed the latest drivers from Lenovo. Havent looked at the ginourmous package directly from realtek yet. The FN/media buttons work just fine, they OPERATE the Windows Volume slider, that just simply doesnt do anything to the volume itself other than mute.

Do you have multiple audio devices? Make sure the one which you are hearing is selected as the default (e.g., if you're connected to a dock the USB audio might be selected as the default one).
Yes. My travel monitor via DP over USB-C has a speaker but I don't use it. It is not selected in the audio devices as an active device or default. I have yet to hook this laptop up to a dock.

Its a realtek device. I have grabbed the latest drivers from Lenovo. Havent looked at the ginourmous package directly from realtek yet. The FN/media buttons work just fine, they OPERATE the Windows Volume slider, that just simply doesnt do anything to the volume itself other than mute.

Yes. My travel monitor via DP over USB-C has a speaker but I don't use it. It is not selected in the audio devices as an active device or default. I have yet to hook this laptop up to a dock.
might be worth a shot.
im also fighting oem weirdness today. got 3 toshiba proteges where the touchpads work for pointing only, no gestures work. fun fun...
edit: i reloaded one with w11 and after all updates, including optional, the tp now has gestures, the w10 still dont.

Last edited:
Back