unlocking the multiplier/cache on a Thorton

BossBri

n00b
so i got a new XP 2400+ for Christmas. I've booted it up and I can confirm that it is a Thorton core CPU (as reported by CPU-Z). So of course the first thing I set out to do is to try and unlock the thing. I haven't kept up with the unlocking thing on the newer CPUs so I did what worked back in the day, I connected all the L3 bridges.

Next, I wanted to unlock the disabled cache(a Thorton is a Barton with half the level 2 cache disabled). I've seen around that the way to do this is to connect the L2 bridges that are cut.

http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e23.html

Problem is that none of this worked. I can't change the multiplier and i can't access the extra cache. I remembered to fill in the gap with a non-conductive compound and I used conductive ink to bridge the gaps, and I checked it all with a microscope.

Has anyone else had success unlocking this stuff on a Thorton? I've seen the trick to connect the L6 bridges to change the processor into a mobile proc. Does this work on a Thorton?

I've heard of "superlocked" porocessors. Is that legit? I'm gonna pull the processor back out to see if it was made after the 39th week. Even if it is a super-locked proc, shouldn't I be able to enable the extra L2 cache?

if it is a pre week 39 you should be able to change the multipliers in the bios without a problem without modifications...the L6's control the multiplier selection for the Mobile processors...The L5's enable Mobile (3rd bridge) or SMP (4th bridge)...the cache is controlled by the L2's...lately people have been able to unlocked the locked ones by converting them to mobile chips and cutting all the L6's so one can select any multiplier upto 24x on the fly in windows...but note the voltage tabes are different also for mobile chips and only certain chipsets support this mod...take a look at this thread...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=708577

so a week 43 aqzfa thorton will work as mobile but is stuck w/ 256k l2 no matter what?

Back