Total War: WARHAMMER Delay; Specs

HardOCP News

[H] News
The minimum and maximum PC requirements for Total War: WARHAMMER have been released. Along with the system requirements, the developer also announced that the release date has been pushed back to the end of May.

PC Minimum Specifications:

• [Expected around 15-25 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Low”]
    • Operating System: Windows 7 64Bit
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
    • RAM: 3GB*
    • Hard Drive: 35 GB
    • Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon HD 5770 1024MB | NVIDIA GTS 450 1024MB | Intel HD4000 @720P
    • *PC integrated graphics chipsets require 4GB ram, e.g. Intel HD series
PC Recommended Specifications:

• [Expected around 45-55 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “High”]
    • Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz
    • RAM: 8 GB
    • Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon R9 270X 2048MB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB @1080P
PC 60fps+ Specifications:

• [Expected 60 FPS+ on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Ultra”]
    • Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz
    • RAM: 8 GB
    • Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Fury X or Nvidia GTX 980 @1080P

Need this, still on the RTW2 engine?

They really need to update the engine, and do Mythology Total War

I don't have any interest in this game, but I really like the way these specs have been presented. Giving people minimum and recommended specs alone doesn't really mean shit to most people. Giving people a set of specs along with an approximation of what sort of visuals and performance they can expect is much more informative. Other developers need to provide information like this.

This game looks terrific! I hope they do Warhammer 40K next. Though they still need to drop the middle 'War' out of the title. Total War: Warhammer is pretty clunky. Total Warhammer would have been way better.

Reactions: Elios
like this
I do like how companies are starting to include a spec setting for averaging ~60+fps.

This is one game which could potentially benefit greatly from using DX12.

If the devs would consider using something like the Nitrous Engine for the next TW title I'll be all over it. But as it is, their last couple releases have been quite disappointing.

YES!

Total War: Warhammer to have DX12 support and shown with over 10,000 units!

NOW I'll be watching out for this game... :)

Interesting...

Tamàs Ràbel and Charlie Dell, respectively Lead Graphics Programmer and Technical Director at Creative Assembly, said:

The three most important DirectX 12 features for us are Asynchronous Compute, Multithreading and MultiGPU support. One of the advantages of DX12 is that it enables Async Compute. This allows us to take systems such as our particle system and sorting tasks in parallel with the GPU on the main rendering pipeline. These parallel tasks or so-called spare GPU cycles allow us to extract the maximum performance out of the hardware.

In Total War: Warhammer we have several parts of our pipeline running in compute shaders. A few examples are the particle simulations, screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO), directional light – all these compute shader parts are running as Async Compute in parallel with others like shadow maps, G-Buffer pass, UI.

Hopefully the TW game engine can be similar to the Nitrous engine running AoTS in terms of performance.

Back