To upgrade or not to upgrade?

MikhailV

n00b
Long story short, I have been running my dual X5650 system since early 2010, and recently my motherboard decided to take a crap on me, I was running a Tyan S7002AG2NR nevertheless I've gotten a good 3 years out of it.

The specs:
Motherboard: Tyan S7002AG2NR
2x - Xeon X5650s
6x - Kingston 8GB = 48GB total.
Adaptec 6805 w/ 4 x 250GB Western digitals in RAID10 and 2 x 60GB Intel 520 SSDs (Recent addition).
GPU: nVidia Quadro 2000D (Recent addition)

The machine was mainly used for parallel computing, running several VMs usually no more than 5, to sum it up it was a software development/data mining workstation. Xeons never broke a sweat though, and I feel that they're more than enough even nowadays. In short it has never been used for games, multimedia or such as it is for work only. So I am thinking should I just get an ASUS Z8NA-D6 and continue on my merry way and upgrade to Lian Li PC-90 case.

However since I work in a datacenter, I have access to E5 Xeons which I can buy relatively cheap, 350/400 for each E5-2643 which is 4C/8T as even on my current Xeons I haven't been using more than 8 cores at full capacity. However I don't like the format of the current LGA2011 boards as I am very picky when it comes to expansion slots, as you can see Z8NA-D6 has 1 X16 slots and 2 x4 in x8 slots which in my opinion have more than enough bandwidth for the hard-drives and I don't feel like getting an EATX board since it is overkill for me and most SSI-CEB boards for LGA2011 don't have a full X16 slots with the exception of ASUS Z9PA-D8. According to the benchmarks E5-2643 is about 13-14% faster than the X5650.

So what I'd like to know if its worth upgrading.

If you were more disk bound than cpu bound then no, get the Z8NA and save for the lian li and ivy/haswell xeons. They are good boards and will run 24/7 for years - just make sure that the chipset heatsink is cooled by a fan - it does get hot

If you were pushing the cpu's, then maybe upgrade but I wouldn't swap a westmere hex for a sandy quad, especially since you can get more cpu for the same money.

If you do decide to upgrade the x5650's PM me - I might be interested in them myself

The main reason I have some many HDDs is because well working in a datacenter and seeing HDD/SSD failures all the, one wants to have as much peace of mind as they can get.

As I mentioned above my workload usually consists of working with Parallel/Distributive processing so it is mostly CPU/RAM intensive. But if I am not mistaken Westmere CPUs should be enough for at least two more years. The main reason I have chosen Lian Li case is because I am currently using a CaseLabs M8, and well it is overkill, I was planning on using it for watercooling my gaming machine, but that plan fell through.

Also do you know the dimensions of the chipset cooler on Z8NA? So I could find a fan that I can strap on it.

Back