The only 40 series card that looks worthwhile, besides the 4090 - a low profile 4060.

wareyore

HDCOTY 2023
I bet it's 2x the cost of their LP 1650's during non crypto/pandemic scare-city ~$160. Bet's on ~$350?

https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-to-launch-geforce-rtx-4060-low-profile-gpu-with-three-fans

1689612733877.png

This is big news for low profile fans. It the first real upgrade since the 1650 which was only a small step up from the 1050ti. There was an Ada 4000, but not exactly affordable at $1k+.

This does require an 8 pin, but most SFX PSUs should have at least one or 2x 6 pin.

Hopefully Gigabyte is reasonable with the price. Charging $50 or more over a standard 4060 would be a deal breaker.

The 4060 is about the same as a 2080 which is about 4x that of a 1050 ti.

So LP users would be upgrading from a sub-PS4 PRO machine to one that is close to a PS5 - with even better RTX, frame gen and other features.

It better be faster than those old 75w cards since it needs more juice.

Still waiting for the bus powered replacement for the 1650. A2000 6gb cards are still around $250 used.

Personally if a card needs pcie power there are plenty of single fan full height cards and sub 200mm dual fan cards that work in sub 10L small builds. But with an external power brick and or some HDPLEX psu solutions you can do anything with an 8pin pcie adapter as long as you keep your cpu reasonable.

Edit: low profile build: Not mine

A2000 tiny pc

Edit again! This is mine. My point is once you commit to an sfx psu yolo on a console style aka “pizza box” case and use most any GPU. Still looks fine next to a tv etc.

IMG_5503.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5502.jpeg
    IMG_5502.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It better be faster than those old 75w cards since it needs more juice.

Still waiting for the bus powered replacement for the 1650. A2000 6gb cards are still around $250 used.

Personally if a card needs pcie power there are plenty of single fan full height cards and sub 200mm dual fan cards that work in sub 10L small builds. But with an external power brick and or some HDPLEX psu solutions you can do anything with an 8pin pcie adapter as long as you keep your cpu reasonable.

Edit: low profile build: Not mine

A2000 tiny pc

Edit again! This is mine. My point is once you commit to an sfx psu yolo on a console style aka “pizza box” case and use most any GPU. Still looks fine next to a tv etc.

View attachment 588368
That case is pretty thin, but still about 50% more than a true low profile case.

All I'm saying is that each generation has about 15 different models from AMD and Nvidia and each of those models have 10 or more SKUs from the various board partners so at least 150 SKUs. I know LP is niche, but is really that niche? We've gone generations with not even a single SKU. Just glad that Gigabyte once again answered the call to the one percenters.

Yeah the console cases are huge by comparison to what you can get into with LP gpus and non SFX PSUs most definitely. Even with an SFX PSU laid out next to the mobo like mine you cut the thing in half almost by using a LP gpu and no riser shenanigans to boot. I definitely see a use case for it but would like to see a LP bus powered card with modern features. Maybe a 4050? -- Probably be pretty cut down though.

That case is pretty thin, but still about 50% more than a true low profile case.

All I'm saying is that each generation has about 15 different models from AMD and Nvidia and each of those models have 10 or more SKUs from the various board partners so at least 150 SKUs. I know LP is niche, but is really that niche? We've gone generations with not even a single SKU. Just glad that Gigabyte once again answered the call to the one percenters.
From what I understand, the gddr6 systems use quite a bit more power than the gddr5 systems when comparing 128 bit to 128 bit. So they either need to make it 8 gb 128 bit with a very cut down gpu at low clocks (4050 tier) or a 96 bit (6 GB) 4060 tier card if they wanted to hit 75w.

Now you are closer to 2060 levels of performance.

I picked up my 1650 GDDR6 versions prior to the pandemic for ~$170. I saw the A2000 when it released and really hoped we would see a consumer card for ~$250-280 msrp.

If they release this LP 4060 at ~115w TDP with the 8pin plug shown we could have a real uplift in performance on the LP side.

I'd like a 4050 / Ti version in the 70w range as it would be easier to upgrade off lease SFF systems. The gen 9 intel systems are flooding the market and getting a cheap SFF i5 or i7 with an LP card like this could make for an easy, viable $400 ish gaming pc.

Money, meet mouth.

$330 and free shipping. So, a 10% premium over average entry level 4060 prices. Same specs as their Windforce.

Should be a good upgrade over the GTX 1650 it'll replace going to 8GB, plus RTX, DLSS (if wanted), etc.

20230829_211316.jpg

Only slightly longer than the 1650.

20230829_211543.jpg

A little heavier and there's a heat pipe in the 4060.

20230829_212046.jpg

20230829_211922.jpg

A neat little card, are there any good low-profile cases that are in stock? The last time I tried to build a LP SFF machine it seemed like all of the good cases were OOS or running some weird semi-crowdfunded model where they collected preorders for an indeterminate amount of time then ran a production batch when they had enough orders, which isn't super great if you want to...use your computer soon.

I haven't looked for an LP case in forever as the trend is small cases and full size GPU's in that space. My use case is the off lease SFF systems, of which there are plenty.

I haven't looked for an LP case in forever as the trend is small cases and full size GPU's in that space. My use case is the off lease SFF systems, of which there are plenty.
Like all those HP Z2 G4 and G9 SFFs I handle at work, which have pretty decent CPUs in them (i7-8700 and i7-12700 respectively) but ship with rather weak sauce Quadro P620 or T1000 cards at most?

Those things are literally just one half-decent GPU away from being respectable gaming or 3D content creation machines, and this would be just the ticket to addressing that problem.

Like all those HP Z2 G4 and G9 SFFs I handle at work, which have pretty decent CPUs in them (i7-8700 and i7-12700 respectively) but ship with rather weak sauce Quadro P620 or T1000 cards at most?

Those things are literally just one half-decent GPU away from being respectable gaming or 3D content creation machines, and this would be just the ticket to addressing that problem.
Bingo. I put it in a Z2 G4 with a i7-9700 replacing the GTX 1650 I had in it. The 1650 was pretty balanced performance wise. The small SFF case and 9700 of the Z2 really holds this 4060 back compared to placing it on a more powerful cpu with good cooling.

Curious about noise while gaming!

Very cool looking little card!
This little thing is quiet. I've tested it on an open bench and in an enclosed HP Z2 case and I don't hear it over the floor standing oscillating fan I have in the room or the Z2's variable PSU fan that ramps up when that system gets hot.

Any suggestions on where to get a 400w PSU for an SFF Z2 G4? I have the 250w in my case and can't find the actual part number from HP for the 400w unit to search/verify units I've found online. Some look promising, but, more expensive than what I want to invest in for the experiment. Others look like they are sketchy after market types or don't have the proper wires for the fan sensors.

My Z2 is already thermal throttling when closed up, so, clearly it needs more juice.

1693772559104.png

Really looking forward to the G5's getting to ~$200. I think a 10700 would be ideal here. The G9's with 12700's are still around $1K.

a2000 is still better buy IMO.
A2000? 6GB or 12GB? For general use and gaming or workstation and business? New or used? That was a great option if you could afford the high cost of a new card or risk the used market.

I wish they would have stuck with a blower style for the little 4060 but the power draw is higher. So, it needs more than the pci slot can provide which limits the sff systems it can drop into based on the PSU's they have. But, the performance can be on par with a 4060 if you have the cpu, power and cooling to run it versus the 3050-ish level of performance for the A2000. 8GB is much better than the 4GB of previous GTX offerings, but, 12-16 would have been ideal. Overall, for $330 in this form factor and this environment, it's better than I expected.

A2000? 6GB or 12GB? For general use and gaming or workstation and business? New or used? That was a great option if you could afford the high cost of a new card or risk the used market.

I wish they would have stuck with a blower style for the little 4060 but the power draw is higher. So, it needs more than the pci slot can provide which limits the sff systems it can drop into based on the PSU's they have. But, the performance can be on par with a 4060 if you have the cpu, power and cooling to run it versus the 3050-ish level of performance for the A2000. 8GB is much better than the 4GB of previous GTX offerings, but, 12-16 would have been ideal. Overall, for $330 in this form factor and this environment, it's better than I expected.
The price has gone up on the a2000 6GB (used). I agree the 4060 is the better buy cost wise if gaming is your main concerns. But as a general workstation with some gaming on the side, the a2000 can hold its own.

Why does the 4060 suck so bad vs the 3060 Ti? I mean, it really sucks. Straight up downgrade moving to a newer generation.

Last edited:
Just reserved one of these open box at Micro Center for $267.96 - gonna replace my Intel A380 with it. I'm excited! This looks awesome. Probably will have great re-sale value, too.

I have a 4060 in my G14 laptop and it is great for my needs (Fortnite while on work travel).

EDIT: picked up and installed! So cuuute.
IMG_4094.jpeg

Last edited:
Back