The Nissan Leaf Can Be Hacked Via Web Browser From Anywhere

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you own a Nissan Leaf, you need to stop what you are doing right now and read this. This vulnerability allows you access to any Nissan Leaf across the globe using only a web browser and internet connection. :eek:

Well the upside is it looks like remote hacking just fucks with your climate controls and looks at your driving history.

Well the upside is it looks like remote hacking just fucks with your climate controls and looks at your driving history.

As painless as it may seem, you can cause real problems for the owner if you say....leave their heater on all day or all night. This is an EV, so they can't just call AAA for a tank of gas or a quick jump. They'd have to tow the damn thing!

Hahaha.. this is great! Now I just need to go around and grab the VIN on all of the Leafs in the area. Use up all their batteries blasting their AC.. it would seriously reduce the number of inept drivers on the streets. Just need the same for Prius' and we'd be all set!

As painless as it may seem, you can cause real problems for the owner if you say....leave their heater on all day or all night. This is an EV, so they can't just call AAA for a tank of gas or a quick jump. They'd have to tow the damn thing!
True, however this hack seems to be due to the "I'm fucking lazy" luxury features that cars are coming with like being able to pre-heat/cool your car before you get into it, I honestly didn't know the Leaf had such a feature, and would think given the limited range of a battery powered vehicle you would just wait until you get into the car to turn the climate controls on.

Hahaha.. this is great! Now I just need to go around and grab the VIN on all of the Leafs in the area. Use up all their batteries blasting their AC.. it would seriously reduce the number of inept drivers on the streets. Just need the same for Prius' and we'd be all set!
Yeah, because only inept drivers drive Leafs and Prius cars.

True, however this hack seems to be due to the "I'm fucking lazy" luxury features that cars are coming with like being able to pre-heat/cool your car before you get into it, I honestly didn't know the Leaf had such a feature, and would think given the limited range of a battery powered vehicle you would just wait until you get into the car to turn the climate controls on.

Yeah, because only inept drivers drive Leafs and Prius cars.
He said it would reduce the number, not eliminate them.

And no, it's not due to simply being able to pre-heat/cool the car. Vehicles have had remote start that includes climate control for years now. It comes from lazy ass programmers who didn't bother to secure their useless cloud based garbage because they assumed no one would bother to look at it.

Another reason why I don't want my car connected to the internet.

These types of features (connected to the internet) are not selling features, as would actually make me NOT want to buy the car.

It's getting to the point that instead of a must have list when I'm shopping for a car, I now need a must NOT have list.

Rant

No, I don't need an internet hot spot in my car (I can use my phone if I really need one).
No, I don't need remote start or any other internet connected features.
no, I don't want an iPhone connection (not everyone uses an iPhone)
No, I don't want to spend $400 to update the GPS in my car every year when I can buy a new GPS with lifetime updates for a third of that.
No, I don't want a sunroof that will rattle, break and leak.
No, I don't want fake (or real) leather seats that are too hot to sit on in the summer.
No, I don't want to pay for Leather seats, GPS, a sunroof, and 8 other items I don't want just to get the one feature I need.

Yes, give me rear seat air vents so the kids don't complain about it being too hot in the back seat.
Yes, at least give me a power drivers seat. (manual seat on a $30K car is just wrong)
Yes, give me a spare tire and jack (or at least a space for one so I can buy my own)

/end Rant

Connect car to the internet, allow that to control parts of the car, suffer for not paying attention to security, rinse and repeat.

If a couple of kids can do that just imagine what the authorities can do. My car has bluetooth and I bet they can track your car and listen in just by hacking that.

If a couple of kids can do that just imagine what the authorities can do. My car has bluetooth and I bet they can track your car and listen in just by hacking that.

Except that Bluetooth has limited range and it gets worse due to, well, it being in a steel cage. I would hope they would segregate the system from anything else, but it's doubtful. Crap is becoming more interconnected for cost savings.

Another reason why I don't want my car connected to the internet.

These types of features (connected to the internet) are not selling features, as would actually make me NOT want to buy the car.

It's getting to the point that instead of a must have list when I'm shopping for a car, I now need a must NOT have list.

Rant

No, I don't need an internet hot spot in my car (I can use my phone if I really need one).
No, I don't need remote start or any other internet connected features.
no, I don't want an iPhone connection (not everyone uses an iPhone)
No, I don't want to spend $400 to update the GPS in my car every year when I can buy a new GPS with lifetime updates for a third of that.
No, I don't want a sunroof that will rattle, break and leak.
No, I don't want fake (or real) leather seats that are too hot to sit on in the summer.
No, I don't want to pay for Leather seats, GPS, a sunroof, and 8 other items I don't want just to get the one feature I need.

Yes, give me rear seat air vents so the kids don't complain about it being too hot in the back seat.
Yes, at least give me a power drivers seat. (manual seat on a $30K car is just wrong)
Yes, give me a spare tire and jack (or at least a space for one so I can buy my own)

/end Rant
I'm with you on all those points except the leather. I live in south Florida and I still want the leather seats. I can deal with a little hotness for a couple of minutes over my clothes getting stuck from the friction against cloth seats every time I drive.

This is why companies need to stop making everything connected. They lack the experience, expertise and funding to secure their systems. Everything being connected to the internet is just stupid, my oven is just fine the way it is. I don't need to be able to pre-heat it remotely.
The issue is that marketers know nothing about security or what customers want but they hear buzzwords and see others making connected "things" and go right along with it.

Back