The Last Job On Earth: Imagining A Fully Automated World

HardOCP News

[H] News
And now for an animated version of how "robots took my damn job!" In this short, Alice tries to make sense of her role in an automated world.

Machines could take 50% of our jobs in the next 30 years, according to scientists. While we can’t predict the future, we can imagine a world without work – one where those who own the tech get rich from it and everyone else ekes out a living, propped up by an increasingly fragile state. Meet Alice, holder of the last recognisable job on Earth, trying to make sense of her role in an automated world.

We went through this 200-odd years ago with the Luddites. We went through this 30-odd years ago with Murdoch, Wapping, and Fleet Street. Automating being a shepherd could be difficult. Likewise a builder or an architect or a fireman or a teacher or a fisherman...

The world will change. It has ever been thus.

The more jobs that are automated the fewer jobs for people to work. Fewer people working means less money for people to spend buying products that are made by automated machines.

And now for an animated version of how "robots took my damn job!" In this short, Alice tries to make sense of her role in an automated world.

Machines could take 50% of our jobs in the next 30 years, according to scientists. While we can’t predict the future, we can imagine a world without work – one where those who own the tech get rich from it and everyone else ekes out a living,

So the same as its always been? We'll be fine. As long as we don't release the robotic Richard Simmons.

We went through this 200-odd years ago with the Luddites. We went through this 30-odd years ago with Murdoch, Wapping, and Fleet Street. Automating being a shepherd could be difficult. Likewise a builder or an architect or a fireman or a teacher or a fisherman...

The world will change. It has ever been thus.

I think you are ignoring jobs that have already been lost to automation. The job pool will shrink while the population will grow. The rate that tech is improving is kind of ridiculous when you think about what was possible 15 years ago compared to now.

I think you are ignoring jobs that have already been lost to automation. The job pool will shrink while the population will grow. The rate that tech is improving is kind of ridiculous when you think about what was possible 15 years ago compared to now.

The more thing change, the more they stay the same.

In the US in 1790, 90% of the population worked on farms.
In 1860 it was 58%, in 1930 it was 20%, in 1960 it was 8.3%, and in 1990 it was 2.6%.
That's a loss of 87.4% of jobs in this country over 200 years, yet we some how we managed.

200 years ago they couldn't imagine what people would be doing (other than starving) if 90% didn't work on farms.
50 or 100 years from now, they will look back and think about how backwards we were to have had so many people doing manual tasks.

This is a fairly silly video that touches more on emotions than fact/fantasy.
There has been and always will be slummy areas that contain people who have mental problems/addictions and also people who are down on their luck.
The workforce has always been shifting around over the past 50 years. A removal of menial/manual labor seems inevitable since 100 years ago when the first engines started to appear.
It's almost guaranteed that the current capitalistic society cannot continue in a fully automated world. There will not be enough jobs to drive the economy. There have been proposals like a guaranteed minimum income for everyone to combat that type of scenario where people who are freed from jobs to survive can pursue other aspirations.
There will also be jobs that cannot be replaced by automation/robots. For these jobs you would need real AI. Exactly how do robots program themselves?

Machines could take 50% of our jobs in the next 30 years, according to scientists. While we can’t predict the future, we can imagine a world without work – one where those who own the tech get rich from it and everyone else ekes out a living, propped up by an increasingly fragile state. Meet Alice, holder of the last recognisable job on Earth, trying to make sense of her role in an automated world.
The "scientists" that claim this crap never account for the jobs that are created by the very technology that is replacing the labor of other sectors of the work force.

Human will adapt and move on to more jobs and new technology that h computer/robots cant do. which just empathize that a nation need to buckle up and make sure its coming generation gets the best opportunity for education as possible or it will fall back

Well, back in the 1600-1700s White landowners did basically nothing while they raked in cash and hired whips to keep their slaves doing the work for them. Those whities didn't have a care in the world, until Lincoln showed up and ruined their little party.

Essentially, human beings have built economic systems wherein you can perform very little work and still make tons of money, I mean, just look at wall street. Usually this is at the expense of some underprivileged group: but if it were setup so that it was at the expense of soulless robots, well, sign me up for that.

Back