The Division Breaks Ubisoft Records

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ubisoft announced today that The Division sold more copies in its first 24 hours than any game in Ubisoft’s history. Considering some of the AAA franchises Ubisoft owns, that's pretty impressive. How many of you are playing The Division?

“The launch of The Division is a tremendous achievement for Ubisoft, and demonstrates our unrivaled capacity to create fantastic new game brands and transform them into entertainment blockbusters,” said Yves Guillemot, co-founder and CEO, Ubisoft. “This is a momentous day for Ubisoft, but more importantly it marks the start of millions of players’ enduring engagement in The Division’s game world, which we are confident they will love.”

Played the beta and got bored after a few hours, not the game for me.

Same here. It looked awesome, and I was really looking forward to it. Just came off as repetitive and it got boring after a bit.

I'm a single player gamer most of the time, though. I hear it's a lot better with more people.

BF4, CoD, Battlefront, Titanfall - multiplayer. Most everything else? single.

Sold my PS4 copy about an hour into it. Boring and NOTHING like the unveil trailer, but to be fair, no game is.

I'm enjoying it for what it is. Yes it does have repetitiveness to it, but it hasn't stopped me from being entertained. The game also seems to put the story mainly in well made video scenes that you can choose to watch or skip entirely.

I've seen a lot of complaints on the lack of a story, but I think that is why. You have to go watch the collected items. It's not like other RPG games where you have to read a ton of emails or notes, most of it is in audio or video that is well done and the collectables are around the main missions for the most part.

I've been twitch steaming some of my crappy game play since I got a free copy from Ubisoft. I have never really played a console type shooter on a PC and the lack of a crouch button and pressing spacebar from cover to cover is just weird for a CS / Arma kind of player. Overall the game play is fun, but the game is kind of ridiculous both in plot and tropes. I have been rolling my eyes a lot, while playing, but it is still entertaining. I am supposed to play with some of the devs later this week, so I have to get a lot better as right now I suck so bad I died in the tutorial. It encouraged me to order a 980ti for my workstation because I saw it running on someone else's desktop and the graphic quality difference between my 760 and their 970 was more than a bit depressing.

It's a loot farming gaming. If you don't like that type of repetitive grinding, then The Division is not for you.

I'm really interested to see their active player numbers after a month.

Looks like a generic cover-and-shoot game that will be the flavor of the month until the next clone comes along. Something to keep the Mt. Dew/Doritos kids occupied for a while I guess.

HEY! WTF is wrong with doritos? The new Ranch Dipped Hot Wings are bomb!

doritos-jacked-ranch-dipped-hot-wings.png

Yeah, nothing against this game, Glad a Clancy game is selling big, as not a lot of their games have been huge hits. The way it was explained to me was Realistic Destiny... so not my thing.

It's a loot farming gaming. If you don't like that type of repetitive grinding, then The Division is not for you.

Yep that's why I didn't get it. The combat doesn't seem that interesting, because it's mostly just used as mechanism to unlock or loot more stuff. I tend to prefer games where the action/combat itself is the enjoyable part of the game. I don't really see anything in The Division that sets it apart from other cover shooters, combat wise.

Only 1 month left till Dark Souls 3!

Looks like a generic cover-and-shoot game that will be the flavor of the month until the next clone comes along. Something to keep the Mt. Dew/Doritos kids occupied for a while I guess.

It's Milk Duds and Pepsi for me. Watched some live feeds of The Division and for MP I will stick with BF4 and save my money.

I knew it was getting some attention but didn't think it would be that big. I don't see the appeal either. I suppose a lot of people like games that are grind based these days. Everything else looks like every other console styled 3rd person shooter since 2008 or so. Except it has no campaign or story to prop up the really dated moving/combat mechanics.

Sucky gamy IMO. Too bad they will use all their resources on it instead of fixing the hackfest game they released 3 months ago... AKA R6 siege which is one of the best games to come out in a long time.

I enjoy R6 Seige, but I really wish that game would have been more centered around well single player missions. Like the original R6 games. The last really good R6 game was R6 3.

I don't understand how this game is so great... you are repeetively shooting the same mooks over and over and over... Maybe i'm missing something, or the DZ pvpv is what making it awesome ??

In related news, the 64GB patch originally slated for Day 1 release, is now slated for November as The Division II.

I didn't play the beta and I am really enjoying the full game. The vast majority of the time I have played has been with friends. The team-play in this game is fantastic. The graphics and immersion are also fantastic so far. It's like serious sam with loot. :D

I don't understand how this game is so great... you are repeetively shooting the same mooks over and over and over... Maybe i'm missing something, or the DZ pvpv is what making it awesome ??

Dark Zone pvp is pretty intense because you can potentially lose the items you pick up in the DZ and you never know when another player is going to turn on you.

Lol at people in here comparing this to Call of Duty. This game is more unique than 90% of shooters released in the last few years.

My son and I are playing it. We are about level 15 to 20 right now in both single and DZ. It is a pretty good game, although I am not sure how long it will last. I have been really shocked by the play in the DZ as I am generally not a pvp person at all, (getting old sucks). But in DZ so far, we have not had to fight much to get extractions out, and actually when I hit an extraction, you usually see people running up wanting to extract as well. We have had some red skulls lurking around and they try to get in and do some shit just before the helicopter comes in but the other extractors combined with us really put them down quick. We have fought several of just random bosses that spawn in buildings and stuff that aren't part of quests or whatever, like open world stuff which is nice. I do think they need some tweaks though, more NPC's in DZ and make travel easier. The spacebar is the only thing that gets me killed really.../sigh

It will be just like how evolve,titanfall,and SW:Battlefront were. Popular for a month or two then dead. Same with destiny, i dont even hear people talk about that game anymore.

My son and I are playing it. We are about level 15 to 20 right now in both single and DZ. It is a pretty good game, although I am not sure how long it will last. I have been really shocked by the play in the DZ as I am generally not a pvp person at all, (getting old sucks). But in DZ so far, we have not had to fight much to get extractions out, and actually when I hit an extraction, you usually see people running up wanting to extract as well. We have had some red skulls lurking around and they try to get in and do some shit just before the helicopter comes in but the other extractors combined with us really put them down quick. We have fought several of just random bosses that spawn in buildings and stuff that aren't part of quests or whatever, like open world stuff which is nice. I do think they need some tweaks though, more NPC's in DZ and make travel easier. The spacebar is the only thing that gets me killed really.../sigh
remap the buttons lol, I don't get why so many people keep complaining about space for cover (not mocking you directly). Remap the buttons so ctrl (or what you normally use for crouch in games) is cover and space is vault and it fixes that very quick.

I think people are still missing that this is a loot grinding game. Now I'm not necessarily defending the division (on the fence actually) but from playing the beta I can tell this is not supposed to be your normal run or gun shooter. To me it is almost running on the same line as Borderlands. Ideally you faced the same enemies over and over again to get better guns. Same concept here.

I'm enjoying the game alot so far. Is it the best and most revolutionary game ever, no its not. But I'm having alot of fun and that is all that matters to me.

Lol at people in here comparing this to Call of Duty. This game is more unique than 90% of shooters released in the last few years.

Precisely, it is REALLY fun. Incorporates a lot of the best MMO features in with a shooter. Crafting, de-constructing for materials, different levels of loot. PVP/E, different currencies. It's a great game and I find myself just staring at scenery sometimes because it is so damn beautiful, I have not seen a game look this good before. The level of detail in even an apartment must have taken them SO long. I mean they have chopsticks and crap on the tables you can shoot, half the time I'm running around exploring and shooting stuff with my pistol to see if it is destructible. And it usually is! Now, day one? SUCKED. I was so freaking mad I pre-ordered, DL and then all of a sudden a 4GB patch. The servers were locked for quite a while. Then the next day they just shut the servers off at peak time of 9pm PST. Really stupid. No server wide warning or anything, just bam out of the game.

Lastly, they need to add a way to exit the game besides taskmgr if you are stuck on the "start game" screen. That just seems dumb to me. All in all, 8.5-7 out of 10.

I haven't played the game and was commenting on the MP only going by live feeds I watched which looked similar to that latest COD mp to me, both look naff compared to BF4 mp.

I know I can remap the keys, and I probably should do that, but I just get into those stress situations where I want to jump over an object and instead duck into cover, or when I want to get out of cover and run, thinking grenade circle on ground, I seem to always get stuck in the cover I am in at the time. I just need to find a better solution for my old brain habits I guess...

Admittedly, I only played the Beta, but It was a snoozefest. The graphics were great, but it was basically a non-funny, terrible story having Borderlands. Shooting someone while crouching 1000 times was the least satisfying thing ever, and the loot was also a snoozefest compared to something like Borderlands.

I only managed to play like 50 hours in Borderlands II before it was getting old, this game didn't even make it 2 hours.

I haven't played the game and was commenting on the MP only going by live feeds I watched which looked similar to that latest COD mp to me, both look naff compared to BF4 mp.

This isn't the type of game you think it is. It has nothing to do with COD or BF4, it's a completely different game.

Admittedly, I only played the Beta, but It was a snoozefest. The graphics were great, but it was basically a non-funny, terrible story having Borderlands. Shooting someone while crouching 1000 times was the least satisfying thing ever, and the loot was also a snoozefest compared to something like Borderlands.

I only managed to play like 50 hours in Borderlands II before it was getting old, this game didn't even make it 2 hours.

"Only 50 hours". I think you set your expecations too high.

Back