Teen Who Posted Viral Video Victim Of Swatting

HardOCP News

[H] News
The saddest thing about this story? It's not the fact that someone could have been shot and killed. It's not that valuable police resources are being wasted. It the last sentence in the article that states "making a hoax call to police is a misdemeanor that can carry a sentence of up to a year in prison." Really? That's it?!? :(

The teenager who filmed the viral "Damn Daniel" video and posted the clip on Twitter was the victim of a bogus emergency call that prompted police to swarm his family's Riverside home. Police responded around 1 a.m. Tuesday after they received reports that someone at a residence on Hamilton Drive had shot their mother with an AK-47.

Heres to hoping that prisoners live up to their name. Kid goes to jail for something stupid, like swatting people. Prisoners find out his "crime".... make him their pet.

how old is the kid? probably get a slap on the wrist because 'kid' even though by freaking 8 or so you freaking know when your doing something stupid, dumb, and/or illegal.

How many man-hours were wasted as a result of this? Multiply that number by 100 and that should be the minimum sentence in community service that's more than just picking up garbage on the side of the road, I'm talking a 40 hour a week full time job worth of doing this for zero pay, ok 20 hours if he's still in high school. I'm not a big fan of prison, and wishing rape upon someone for something like this seems a little over the top, so instead of having taxpayers pay even MORE money for what he has done, get some free sweat equity labor out of him. If he refuses to do work, then let prison be the backup plan.

Min sentence = death penalty = problem solved

Because the other crimes with the death penalty as a punishment has prevented those crimes from ever happening again... Oh wait nope. Well, at least it lowered the amount of those crimes being perpetrated.. Oh wait, nope again!

Study after study, data after data, all come to the same conclusion. Harsh sentencing doesn't reduce crime, it only lines the corporate prison industrial complex's pockets with more taxpayer money. This is why Republicans and Democrats have been working together on bi-partisan criminal justice reform, all that is except those who get "donations" from the prison industrial complex.

an ak is really loud unless you shot through a two litter bottle of soda, then it is just is loud like a fire cracker.... it is loud crack sound in riverside that would have drawn a lot of attention.... like canon going off in times square... maybe it went down hill in two years but it is really boring suburban neighborhood... I looked at years ago to get into the Californian education system to save money, if you want the free education and the scholar ships fall short you had to live there for six months to two years... I forget but the neighbor hood was a nice place in 2014... it is only year or so later...

That is exactly it. I cannot stand losers who pull this kind of crap and I want them to suffer. Anytime someone pulls a stunt that could result in someone getting killed, they need to be held accountable and need to suffer. I also propose that they are put in a cell with cell mates Big John and Bubba.

Because the other crimes with the death penalty as a punishment has prevented those crimes from ever happening again... Oh wait nope. Well, at least it lowered the amount of those crimes being perpetrated.. Oh wait, nope again!

Study after study, data after data, all come to the same conclusion. Harsh sentencing doesn't reduce crime, it only lines the corporate prison industrial complex's pockets with more taxpayer money. This is why Republicans and Democrats have been working together on bi-partisan criminal justice reform, all that is except those who get "donations" from the prison industrial complex.

Really? Just use some logic. Take it to the extrme: If the crime for stealing was a stern "no" or "jail time with the threat of rape". You're telling me you don't think there'd be a difference? Ok how about this... if someone commits a crime and is locked up, they can't commit more crimes out in public while they're in jail. That's a fact. I don't need a study to deduce whether they can continue to commit crimes out in public. It's insane what people read and just swallow whole like lemmings. Just use a modicum of common sense. Harsh sentencing absolutely makes a difference both from a deterrent standpoint and the fact that you're taking the fucking person out of society so they can't fuck with the rest of us. And I'll just leave this wonderfully small but useful chart below... if you wonder why it's not bigger it's because it's my CA tax dollars at work. The line is the implementation of the 3 strikes law. 3 strikes shows up, crime goes way the fuck down:

pageitemD05.gif

Pretty sure dead people don't commit crimes. Skip the jail time, bullet to the head. Solves the problem.

That's because the death penalty is very rarely and inconsistently applied. On those rare occasions in which it is prescribed, the prisoner isn't executed until 10-20 years later. Apply the death penalty to everyone who's convicted of murder and carry out the punishment swiftly, then not only will it once again act as a deterrent to anyone would-be murderers who aren't suicidal, but it will also in the process reduce the incidence of murder.

Once again, why wasn't the appropriate initial investigative work done before the swat team was notified & assembled? That's just lazy, piss poor, police work. Again.

Once again, why wasn't the appropriate initial investigative work done before the swat team was notified & assembled? That's just lazy, piss poor, police work. Again.

Because you don't have time. If somebody calls and says an apartment complex is on fire and all units are in flames do you want the fire department to send out all trunks right then or do you want them to send 1 guy out to see how bad it really is, have him then fill out some forms, email them to his supervisor who then reviews them and uses that to determine how many people to call and how many trucks to send out then call everyone one by one and see if they are busy or if they can come out to put out the fire, fully explain everything to them,.... No you want them to get the call about a fire, send out the mass call to everyone that there is a fire, and have them rush there. Even if the raging fire turns out to be some people just having a really big bon fire that everyone thought was a house on fire, you still want them to be safe not sorry. Same for a case like this, if there is a call that states somebody is robing a store, or a gunmen is holding people hostage, they are going to send out the big guns and not send a single person out to investigate before saying yes or no you need to now call in the other people. That is time wasted if this is real. If there is a chance that the call is real, they have to assume it is until they know for sure that it is not. They have to treat everything as if there are people in danger and they are going in to save them.

Let's also not forget that SWAT teams aren't just a group of guys sitting around with nothing to do waiting for a call, they're officers that have other duties or may even be off duty. They have to assemble, gear up, and then go to the incident.

I just looked up this "Damn Daniel" viral video...what the fuck is wrong with people that the video would go viral...its just a kid saying damn Daniel a couple times in various scenes chopped together...its not even remotely interesting...

Min sentence = death penalty = problem solved

If the swatting leads to serious injury or death of the people getting swatted or the leos, I could live with that.

If someone kicked in my door this very second, I would grab the gun on my desk. If that person turned out to be a cop, well, the odds are he and/or I will be dead in just a bit.

Last edited:
If the swatting leads to serious injury or death of the people getting swatted or the leos, I could live with that.

If someone kicked in my door this very second, I would grab the gun on my desk. If that person turned out to be a cop, well, the odds are he and/or I will be dead in just a bit.

It's happened. I remember reading a story of a guy where the cops busted down the wrong door doing a no knock search and he was a veteran of some military branch. He thought it was a home invasion and took down 1 or 2 cops before they killed him. Later they find out it was all a big mistake.

Also SWAT kills your dog if they knock down the door and enter the house. If there were no punishment for murder, I'd definitely kill the guy that swatted me and got my dog killed. Oh wait, Chunder pointed out that punishments don't change behavior so I guess I'd kill the person either way. Right Chunder?

Make them kick in doors at SWAT raids. Let them live the fear of possibly getting ventilated.

That's because the death penalty is very rarely and inconsistently applied. On those rare occasions in which it is prescribed, the prisoner isn't executed until 10-20 years later. Apply the death penalty to everyone who's convicted of murder and carry out the punishment swiftly, then not only will it once again act as a deterrent to anyone would-be murderers who aren't suicidal, but it will also in the process reduce the incidence of murder.
What about those innocent people the police railroad into being found guilty? Your way would have them all dead.

What about those innocent people the police railroad into being found guilty? Your way would have them all dead.

Unless you believe in abolishing all prisons, then your way would have them all imprisoned and raped by predatory inmates until they're eventually discovered to be innocent. Make it a capital crime to wrongfully convict an innocent person of a capital crime and that kind of action should be diminished if not eliminated altogether.

Maybe of the police verified who called in the emergency or verified if there was an emergency at the address reported swatting would not occur.

Maybe of the police verified who called in the emergency or verified if there was an emergency at the address reported swatting would not occur.

How? You guys act like that is an easy thing to do without wasting time. If I spoof my phone to appear to be you and I call your parents saying I am going kill myself without enough background noise that they can't really hear my voice the best to know it isn't you and hang up. Do you think your parents shouldn't be concerned that you are going to kill yourself before they know for sure that it really is you? By the same accord if I make my phone look like it is coming from you and call the police saying I am committing a crime they have no way to prove for sure that I am not really you as all evidence so far says that I am you.

And I'll just leave this wonderfully small but useful chart below ... The line is the implementation of the 3 strikes law. 3 strikes shows up, crime goes way the fuck down:

pageitemD05.gif

I like that you back up your argument with data. However, we can't be sure, at least from that graph, that the 3 strikes law was responsible for the drop in crime. For one, we can see that the three curves are already dropping before the law was passed. In addition, it's well-known that all sorts of crime rates have been on the decline for the past two decades across the country, and the reason is debated. Given that various cities and states have different legal regimes, it's not clear that laws are responsible for the drops in crime. The craziest (but also most robust) explanation for the drops in crime has to do with the removal of lead from gasoline fuel, and how the reduction in environmental lead exposure during childhood in turn limits the probability of people becoming violent adults.

People are too busy watching Netflix and playing F2PMMO's to commit crimes.

How? You guys act like that is an easy thing to do without wasting time. If I spoof my phone to appear to be you and I call your parents saying I am going kill myself without enough background noise that they can't really hear my voice the best to know it isn't you and hang up. Do you think your parents shouldn't be concerned that you are going to kill yourself before they know for sure that it really is you? By the same accord if I make my phone look like it is coming from you and call the police saying I am committing a crime they have no way to prove for sure that I am not really you as all evidence so far says that I am you.

The police have many ways to verify if there is a real threat other that conducting a no knock raid on the address given by the emergency call. They can call the house in question and ask the residents if there is a problem. They can call the number back that made the call and verify if they actually made the call. The police have many more tools to verify the legitimacy of the call.

The police have many ways to verify if there is a real threat other that conducting a no knock raid on the address given by the emergency call. They can call the house in question and ask the residents if there is a problem. They can call the number back that made the call and verify if they actually made the call. The police have many more tools to verify the legitimacy of the call.

Because the first thing a person in a mentally unstable state does is answer the phone back. What about the cases where the backfires? Somebody breaks into your house and you manage to grab a phone and call 911 and tell them somebody broke in but then have to quickly hang up, or any other case where you call 911 real quick and need to hang up before you are heard / caught. They then have to call back to verify that you are really being robed or you were really just raped or beaten... if you are hiding now the phone rings giving away your location, or the person you were trying to call the police on now answers the phone and knows you called the police. There was a case here about a month ago. Some woman was kidnapped and told to call her boyfriend so he could listen to her being raped. She instead called 911 and lucky the only male on shift happen to answer the call and pretended to be her boyfriend so that while she was still raped she was left alive. What if the call had gotten cut off during that and they now have to call back to see if she is really being raped before sending out the police? One of the reasons that 911 (or any other country's version) works as well as it does is that there are times where you can't actually ask for help but can still call and they can send somebody out even if you can't talk. Somebody breaks in or is assaulting you, you call 911 and toss the phone away so that they know you need help but you can't actually tell them. In the case of England, they dial 999 as if you are having trouble as worse case you just need to hold down 9 instead of being able to press 911 like you do here.

You guys are looking at a single rare occurrence in contrast to the millions of times that a person calls 911 and need help and are trying to prevent those millions from getting help because of a single instance.

Now do they need to respond with a no knock as much, probably not. However they should still treat every call as if it is real. even if one out of 750,000 calls is them getting scammed. There are 240 million calls a year to 911. That is around 657,534 per day, 27,397 per hour or just short of 457 every minute. How many of those are the type of calls that are ones where they are false reports or people swatting? Less than 500? I can't find any stats on that, but I wouldn't imagine it being that large. Swatting while it is a problem isn't happening hundreds of thousands of time a day.

Because the first thing a person in a mentally unstable state does is answer the phone back. What about the cases where the backfires? Somebody breaks into your house and you manage to grab a phone and call 911 and tell them somebody broke in but then have to quickly hang up, or any other case where you call 911 real quick and need to hang up before you are heard / caught. They then have to call back to verify that you are really being robed or you were really just raped or beaten... if you are hiding now the phone rings giving away your location, or the person you were trying to call the police on now answers the phone and knows you called the police. There was a case here about a month ago. Some woman was kidnapped and told to call her boyfriend so he could listen to her being raped. She instead called 911 and lucky the only male on shift happen to answer the call and pretended to be her boyfriend so that while she was still raped she was left alive. What if the call had gotten cut off during that and they now have to call back to see if she is really being raped before sending out the police? One of the reasons that 911 (or any other country's version) works as well as it does is that there are times where you can't actually ask for help but can still call and they can send somebody out even if you can't talk. Somebody breaks in or is assaulting you, you call 911 and toss the phone away so that they know you need help but you can't actually tell them. In the case of England, they dial 999 as if you are having trouble as worse case you just need to hold down 9 instead of being able to press 911 like you do here.

You guys are looking at a single rare occurrence in contrast to the millions of times that a person calls 911 and need help and are trying to prevent those millions from getting help because of a single instance.

Now do they need to respond with a no knock as much, probably not. However they should still treat every call as if it is real. even if one out of 750,000 calls is them getting scammed. There are 240 million calls a year to 911. That is around 657,534 per day, 27,397 per hour or just short of 457 every minute. How many of those are the type of calls that are ones where they are false reports or people swatting? Less than 500? I can't find any stats on that, but I wouldn't imagine it being that large. Swatting while it is a problem isn't happening hundreds of thousands of time a day.

Your rape example would not have resulted in a no knock raid or did the rapist give an address? Calls of a home invasion could at least verify the address of calling number. I don't know all the tools available to law enforcement, but to use the swat team for every call that comes in is irresponsible without some ATTEMPT to verify the threat. People and pets are killed on these raids and they should be done only after proper vetting.
Currently, the police perform 20,000 knock raids per year!
The police kill over 5,000 dogs every year in the US!
The police kill over 1,200 people every year in the US!

Lets just face the reality here. No knock raids are about exerting the complete dominance of the state over the serf, er citizen, and it also lets the boys play dress up in their military gear, and play with their military grade weapons.

How do we justify the continued militarization of our police forces, when the crime rate, including crimes committed by "terrorists", has steadily dropped over the last 30-40 years?
Yes we need SWAT teams in limited numbers, but we don't need an M4 in every officers hands, and we don't need leos in armored assault vehicles in small town America? It's almost like they are afraid of an insurrection, and not general crime.

The idiots calling in these false alarms need to understand just how easily people can die because of their actions.

Edit: Let me elaborate a bit. Given how little provocation is required for the police to kill you during a raid, a false call leading to a raid should be treated as attempted murder.

Last edited:
in my country they show up in cheap suits and ask you politely to open the door. WTF is your problem...? The only way to get SWAT to even bother here is if you murdered your wife and set the baby on fire...even then they call first and ask you to come out

You're a fucking joke in the world...

The last time I saw BTR-60 was in Finland when there was an insurgency...never private. We make a policy to never fuck with our citixens, That goes for Swedish ppl too.Ppl in our countries don't fuck with citizens ......never

we don't take shit from nobody.....this is why we won......democrasy is why we won.we killed 10-1 and we kept our democracy intact

Last edited:
The reason why swatting is a problem is because police in this country are nothing but a bunch of testosterone-fueled adrelaline junkies who are always looking for a fight and they are equipped with way more firepower than they actually need. Rather than doing the intelligent thing and figuring out what is going on first, they blindly charge in like they are in a battlezone in the middle of Fallujah and as a result, cause needless grief and escalation.

Really? Just use some logic. Take it to the extrme: If the crime for stealing was a stern "no" or "jail time with the threat of rape". You're telling me you don't think there'd be a difference? Ok how about this... if someone commits a crime and is locked up, they can't commit more crimes out in public while they're in jail. That's a fact. I don't need a study to deduce whether they can continue to commit crimes out in public. It's insane what people read and just swallow whole like lemmings. Just use a modicum of common sense. Harsh sentencing absolutely makes a difference both from a deterrent standpoint and the fact that you're taking the fucking person out of society so they can't fuck with the rest of us. And I'll just leave this wonderfully small but useful chart below... if you wonder why it's not bigger it's because it's my CA tax dollars at work. The line is the implementation of the 3 strikes law. 3 strikes shows up, crime goes way the fuck down:

pageitemD05.gif

When looking at stats always keep in mind that correlation does not always equal causation. Just because two statistics happen to match up does not mean that one caused the other. Crime rates have dropped across the board in the entire country.

Incorrect. The death penalty has virtually no impact because most murder is committed out of passion or rage. Rational thought does not come into the picture. If rational thought and planning is part of it the people either thinks they will never be caught or simply does not care if they are. The threat of state sanctioned murder never comes into the picture in those situations.

The reason why swatting is a problem is because police in this country are nothing but a bunch of testosterone-fueled adrelaline junkies who are always looking for a fight. Perhaps if they bothered to do some recon first and actually figure out what is going on rather than blinding going in like they are raiding a terrorist compound in Fallujah, swatting wouldn't be a problem.

I don't disagree with you, but consider what would happen if the call turned out to be real and an investigative response triggered the person to kill their hostages or if the SWAT team was too slow due to the police force needing to make absolutely sure it is a real threat. There would be a massive witch hunt to root out everyone in the police force "responsible" for the murders and any surviving family members would sue the city for millions of dollars.

Your rape example would not have resulted in a no knock raid or did the rapist give an address? Calls of a home invasion could at least verify the address of calling number. I don't know all the tools available to law enforcement, but to use the swat team for every call that comes in is irresponsible without some ATTEMPT to verify the threat. People and pets are killed on these raids and they should be done only after proper vetting.

There's no requirement for an address to be given. One of the networks I oversee includes a police HQ and their dispatch office. When a 911 call comes in, the location of the call, even if it's made by cell phone gets triangulated pretty quickly on a graphical map (similar to Google Maps). The dispatchers know where you're calling from within the first 5-10 seconds, they ask for an address for verification/clarification, if you're calling from an apartment building, they aren't going to know which apartment you're in. It's quite obvious that many of you haven't been in life or death situations because you want to second guess hundreds or thousands of trained individuals in their decision making. Split second decisions are difficult to get right and not everyone has the ability to do so and sometimes the wrong person gets to make those calls. Additionally, preplanning to minimize/eliminate in the moment decision making cannot always be done or if done, puts others at risk. If you're being raped or beaten would you rather officers knock on the door for a few minutes, have dispatchers call a couple times, and then decide to break down the door, or would you rather have them break the door down and stop the criminal as quickly as possible?

Lets just face the reality here. No knock raids are about exerting the complete dominance of the state over the serf, er citizen, and it also lets the boys play dress up in their military gear, and play with their military grade weapons.

How do we justify the continued militarization of our police forces, when the crime rate, including crimes committed by "terrorists", has steadily dropped over the last 30-40 years?
Yes we need SWAT teams in limited numbers, but we don't need an M4 in every officers hands, and we don't need leos in armored assault vehicles in small town America? It's almost like they are afraid of an insurrection, and not general crime.

The idiots calling in these false alarms need to understand just how easily people can die because of their actions.

Edit: Let me elaborate a bit. Given how little provocation is required for the police to kill you during a raid, a false call leading to a raid should be treated as attempted murder.

I think you overestimate the joy of wearing 10s of pounds of protective and movement restrictive equipment that you get to bake yourself in. I like guns, I like shooting guns but you know what I don't like, cleaning guns, many people do not like cleaning guns...here's a black weapon, now I want you to clean all the black carbon off of the black weapon. You say there's a need for SWAT teams in limited numbers, how limited, how do we determine the parameters? I live in the St. Louis metro region on the Illinois side. There are five towns with a population over 30k each where the far ends of their city limits being about 40-50 miles and they all share the same SWAT team. How much more limited should our SWAT team be? That could be more than an hour response time between 911 notification and all SWAT officers arriving at the scene. SWAT also does more than just building raids, they handle VIP escort, arrest warrants, and explosive ordinance disposal, among many others requirements.

I do agree however that the punishment for "Swatting" needs to be more serious that a fraudulent call to 911. Besides the potential loss of human life, there's quite a bit of money that gets sunk into the use of a SWAT team anytime they are utilized and it only grows in a "Swatting" incident with the follow up investigation into tracking down and prosecuting whoever made the call.

They used her phone to find where she was being held and the guy was arrested. They couldn't get there in time to save her from the rape, but at least did catch him.

Are you saying 1200 innocent people are killed as the result of 911 calls? Even if that was the case, that is .0005% that result in a wrongful death. Yes that is unfortunate for those few but that is a very small percent.

You also don't seem to understand how 911 gets your info. When you call 911 they get your phone number, your carrier would have updated a database foe them to say this number has this address. If I spoof your phone number from my phone, 911 is going to see your number which means they see your address. How do you want them to verify that? Yes there are a extremely small number of occurrences where the current system has some faults. But that system still works 99.9995% of the time. What you guys are basically asking is that we disband 911 service and instead require hours of discussion be made to decide if somebody should receive help only after a 20 point checklist has been verified and they are 100% sure it is a real case, and they know 100% where every person is, know what is going on, know that nothing can go wrong in any way.... There would be far more dead is they were to even consider what you guys are asking for.

Incorrect. The death penalty has virtually no impact because most murder is committed out of passion or rage.

"Contrary to myth and misrepresentation, most murders are not committed by previously law-abiding citizens either going berserk, or because a gun was handy during a moment of uncontrollable rage: suddenly "blow-away" their spouse, friend, neighbor, acquaintance, or all four.

Studies conducted at both the local and national level indicate the overwhelming majority of murders are committed by people with previous criminal records. Even a significant percentage of homicide victims themselves have criminal records.

Domestic homicides as well are preceded by a long history of violence. The "crime of passion" homicide is much more the exception rather than the rule."

GunCite: Gun Control - Gun Homicides

Rational thought does not come into the picture. If rational thought and planning is [sic] part of it the people either thinks [sic] they will never be caught or simply does [sic] not care if they are. The threat of state sanctioned murder never comes into the picture in those situations.

They think they will not be executed because the death penalty is so rarely applied, hence it is not seen as a threat. However, the death penalty even while rare still provides a deterrence to capital crime according to a series of studies conducted between 2001 and 2007, including studies in 2003 and 2006 by "Naci Mocan, an economics professor at the University of Colorado at Denver," an nationwide study in 2003 by professors at Emory University, a 2006 study by professors at the University of Houston, and a 2004 study by a professor at Emory University that concluded that "Speeding up executions would strengthen the deterrent effect. For every 2.75 years cut from time spent on death row, one murder would be prevented."

Studies Say Death Penalty Deters Crime

wowo this thread blew up quick

The death penalty would be more effective at deterring crime if it did not take so long to implement and if it was enforced on a consistent basis.

Back