Super slow post

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
this is finally annoying me enough to ask. My PC takes upwards of 1 minute to actually post and I have no clue why.

MSI B650 with 7800x3d and 64gb ram, 4090. No other PC ia have ever owned was like this. it has like fast boot and what not in the bios set to on but it takes a full minute to post. Any idea why?

your rams on auto? manually set it and/or lower the ram training settings(if the bios has them)

it was manually set to the XMP (or whatever its called) setting for it.
thats not the same thing, manually set the speed and timings. or look in the bios for the training setting and lower them.

Mine slow boots every time I change settings in the bios, but other than that, it boots somewhat normally. I thought this was a "feature" of AM5.

Go to bios and then:
◦ Set the ram using EXPO (if it has any).
◦ Or you can use MSI's Memory Try It! feature, set it to 6000mhz with timings 32-38-38, 36-36-36 or whatever available.
◦ Set the SoC voltage to 1.22v.
◦ Enable MCR (memory context restore)

Save and exit.

My Asrock B650M-HDV only need 8~9s to boot from cold to windows.
I'm running the dram overclocked to 7600 36-46-46 1.43v for daily.

Go to bios and then:
◦ Set the ram using EXPO (if it has any).
◦ Or you can use MSI's Memory Try It! feature, set it to 6000mhz with timings 32-38-38, 36-36-36 or whatever available.
◦ Set the SoC voltage to 1.22v.
◦ Enable MCR (memory context restore)

Save and exit.

My Asrock B650M-HDV only need 8~9s to boot from cold to windows.
I'm running the dram overclocked to 7600 36-46-46 1.43v for daily.

The HDV is a very big outlier in boot times, its been pointed out in every review of that board. Do not try to base the post times of other AM5 boards on that.

this is finally annoying me enough to ask. My PC takes upwards of 1 minute to actually post and I have no clue why.

MSI B650 with 7800x3d and 64gb ram, 4090. No other PC ia have ever owned was like this. it has like fast boot and what not in the bios set to on but it takes a full minute to post. Any idea why?

Dual rank sticks take a long ass time to train. My 64 and 96GB kits can take up to 90 seconds even with MCR on, while 2x16 SR kits take like 10 seconds.

I've found that MSI AM4 and AM5 motherboards took quite a long time to post to begin with. I used to have an MSI X570S Carbon. Now I have an MSI X670E Carbon. AM5 also tends to want you to do the memory training crap every time it boots, otherwise you have a lot of instability as I understand it. Unfortunately, you just have to eat it.

I just keep my computer on all of the time anyway, so it doesn't really affect me much.

I've found that MSI AM4 and AM5 motherboards took quite a long time to post to begin with. I used to have an MSI X570S Carbon. Now I have an MSI X670E Carbon. AM5 also tends to want you to do the memory training crap every time it boots, otherwise you have a lot of instability as I understand it. Unfortunately, you just have to eat it.

I just keep my computer on all of the time anyway, so it doesn't really affect me much.

i had a MSI AM4 board before this and it was pretty instant to post.

i had a MSI AM4 board before this and it was pretty instant to post.

I just timed my Asus B650 setup from button press to windows desktop was 1:21 and that is with MCR on. My 13700K with DR sticks takes about 35-40 seconds. I doubt you'll get it moving much faster, which is annoying. My old 5700X/B550 is on the desktop faster than I can react if I need to get into the BIOS for something.

The HDV is a very big outlier in boot times, its been pointed out in every review of that board. Do not try to base the post times of other AM5 boards on that.
That's exactly what the other mobo vendor should do: try to improve the bios for faster boot time.
When doing ram training, the HDV usually take 30~40s, then after testing the ram at windows and stable, restart --> enable MCR, then every time it boots to windows just like what I said.

Why the others can't do that?

Do you have any add-on cards with BIOS (e.g., RAID controllers, etc.)? If so, are they EFI compatible?

Also, check for any BIOS updates from your motherboard manufacturer's website.

That's exactly what the other mobo vendor should do: try to improve the bios for faster boot time.
When doing ram training, the HDV usually take 30~40s, then after testing the ram at windows and stable, restart --> enable MCR, then every time it boots to windows just like what I said.

Why the others can't do that?

I really like the HDV, I would actually have it myself if I didn't need a full length board. That being said, I suspect they're heavily shortcutting the MC training process or skipping it completely. I would be curious how it acts with a dual rank kit.

yeouch! even manually setting speed/timings doesnt help?
my last boot time was 6.9 seconds, nice!

That timing is with 2x48GB, this kit takes forever even on my intel machine. The 2x32GB kit is about half the time.

Back