Study: Craigslist Catches Barely Half of Scam Listings

HardOCP News

[H] News
How can this be? Are these guys trying to say that there are scammers on Craigslist? I find that very hard to believe.

Rental scams on Craigslist and similar sites are not new, but this is the first systematic, empirical study of these scams. McCoy and his team analyzed more than 2 million rental listings on Craigslist over a five-month period to gain an end-to-end understanding of how such scams are structured and which strategies may undermine them. McCoy and his collaborators detected and analyzed about 29,000 fraudulent listings in 20 major cities, ultimately mapping the listings into seven distinct scam categories, most of which involved credit card payments.

I'm utterly shocked.

I didn't realize that Craigslist caught ANY of the scam listings.

I'm utterly shocked.

I didn't realize that Craigslist caught ANY of the scam listings.

Like ebay, they remove them ..... eventually, just not fast enough. From the article:

"..... and that suspicious postings often linger for as long as 20 hours before being removed—more than enough time to snare victims, especially in competitive housing markets"

Great article, really happy to see that these researchers are being supported by the government. Step 1, catch the scammers based in your home country. Step 2, work with foreign governments to catch the scammers abroad.

Back