[Steam] Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 90% off @ $2.99 till 1-24-24

Games looks very interesting from the youtube videos, scary like F.E.A.R. (the first one).

For users like me that require rebinding WASD to the arrow keys, this is what I did. I have the GOG version of the game but it should still work.

Go to C:\User\AppData\Local\HellbladeGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings. Open with a text editor like Notepad.

Now find these lines:

AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=-1.000000,Key=S)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=1.000000,Key=W)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=-1.000000,Key=A)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=1.000000,Key=D)

And edit them to:

AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=-1.000000,Key=Down)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=1.000000,Key=Up)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=-1.000000,Key=Left)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=1.000000,Key=Right)

Now be aware that the game also binds the camera to the arrow keys, so you will have to rebind these as well.

AxisMappings=(AxisName="LookUpRate",Scale=1.000000,Key=Up) I changed this to U.
AxisMappings=(AxisName="TurnRate",Scale=-1.000000,Key=Left) I changed this to H.
AxisMappings=(AxisName="TurnRate",Scale=1.000000,Key=Right) I changed this to K.
AxisMappings=(AxisName="LookUpRate",Scale=-1.000000,Key=Down) I changed this to J.

Your mouse will still allow you to move the camera around as normal.

Just a reminder, for those who have Xbox Game Pass it's been on there forever. I've made the mistake of buying a game that ended up being on it.
I hear ya, but I rather own it then rent it, while I can, before we are FORCED to rent. If that makes any sense.

Well, I even went ahead and installed it. Let's see whether I play it, too.

Damn, for a 2017 game - max graphics requires a monster of a PC. I'm getting 30 frames with my 7900xt next to water.

PS - thanks OP.

Game still has lots of hitching and with ray tracing maxed there are some large stutters. And before some clown says "it must be your pc", it did the exact same thing on my previous PC and there are plenty of complaints about it on Steam forums.

Last edited:
Game still has lots of hitching and with ray tracing maxed there are some large stutters. And before some clown says "it must be your pc", it did the exact same thing on my previous PC.
No you're spot on, I can barely run it without chugging and hitching, plus the fur around her neck is driving me nuts with the spazing out it does.
And that's with the GOG version 2yrs ago.

This game is awesome. Can't believe I've never played it or really heard about it. Really good so far. Best $3 I've spent in a very long time.

Performance gets better after the introduction. Haven't had issues since.

Gonna play this through the night and beat it.

This game is awesome. Can't believe I've never played it or really heard about it. Really good so far. Best $3 I've spent in a very long time.

Performance gets better after the introduction. Haven't had issues since.

Gonna play this through the night and beat it.
No it doesnt. With ray tracing on it has fairly large spikes through the whole game. Without ray tracing its the typical UE garbage of traversal stutters through the whole game.

EDIT: DX11 seems to be quite a bit smoother with less hitching. What is strange is that what I see on the screen looks way worse than the frametime graph would indicate.

Last edited:
No it doesnt. With ray tracing on it has fairly large spikes through the whole game. Without ray tracing its the typical UE garbage of traversal stutters through the whole game.

EDIT: DX11 seems to be quite a bit smoother with less hitching. What is strange is that what I see on the screen looks way worse than the frametime graph would indicate.
Not sure man - I dropped RT to medium and haven't really dipped under 60 since the intro. Running DX12.

5440x1440

Not sure man - I dropped RT to medium and haven't really dipped under 60 since the intro. Running DX12.

5440x1440
Medium RT does certainly help quite a bit. It is a shame they never optimized the game better. They went through all that trouble to update the game to DX12 with RT but only made it stutter worse than the original version.

I played through this on Gamepass, the combat is kinda meh but the graphics are story are cool. Great atmosphere. I bought it for $3 and was pleasantly surprised it came with a VR version. I didn't want to sleep anyway...

Yup, great find, and it's the right time to play this. I"m my aging PC it's running pretty good if I turn some stuff down. In beginning of the game, but trying to find out what button is "focus".

Definitely skipping another hack n slash. Dark Souls ruined the genre for me. Feels like a gruouling chore. It's like paying for more torture lol.

Seems like Hellblade 2 is coming soon, so I guess the price cut was to drum up awareness / interest (it worked on me 😅).

Last edited:
For users like me that require rebinding WASD to the arrow keys, this is what I did. I have the GOG version of the game but it should still work.

Go to C:\User\AppData\Local\HellbladeGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings. Open with a text editor like Notepad.

Now find these lines:

AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=-1.000000,Key=S)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=1.000000,Key=W)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=-1.000000,Key=A)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=1.000000,Key=D)

And edit them to:

AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=-1.000000,Key=Down)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=1.000000,Key=Up)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=-1.000000,Key=Left)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=1.000000,Key=Right)

Now be aware that the game also binds the camera to the arrow keys, so you will have to rebind these as well.

AxisMappings=(AxisName="LookUpRate",Scale=1.000000,Key=Up) I changed this to U.
AxisMappings=(AxisName="TurnRate",Scale=-1.000000,Key=Left) I changed this to H.
AxisMappings=(AxisName="TurnRate",Scale=1.000000,Key=Right) I changed this to K.
AxisMappings=(AxisName="LookUpRate",Scale=-1.000000,Key=Down) I changed this to J.

Your mouse will still allow you to move the camera around as normal.

what is it with games that you cant rebind keys to whatever? this sounds like a bethesda game.

what is it with games that you cant rebind keys to whatever? this sounds like a bethesda game.
It's not just Bethesda ;) The first 2 Dead Space games really pissed me off and a hell of a lot more EA games till I discovered GlovePIE.

FO3 had me pulling out my hair with the PIP Boy until a few patches some what helped.
But at least with FO4 you could use this. FO4 would drive me nuts with the build mode being tied to the arrow keys.

But at least this game has a editable config file unlike some games out there. :)

The game is incredible, the VR version is mind boggling -- really well done.
I thought the VR version was pretty much a vomit train. All you're doing is just bobbing around right behind her as it's still in third person.

I played it in 2018 and remember being blown away! It was the first game I ever played with an ultrawide monitor.

I hear ya, but I rather own it then rent it, while I can, before we are FORCED to rent. If that makes any sense.
Not to mention not playing it on GamePass means you don't have to deal with UWP nonsense.

I watched the gameplay trailer and saw a lot of hacking and slashing lol. Yeah I think the character goes into hell to avenge a death of a loved one. Pretty deep.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6495293/

https://venturebeat.com/business/ho...h-its-thoughtful-portrayal-of-mental-illness/

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/how-hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-deals-with-psychosis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellblade:_Senua's_Sacrifice#Depiction_of_psychosis

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/29...t-mental-health-tech-game-design-neuroscience

View: https://youtu.be/31PbCTS4Sq4

solid game, sadly i already own it :p

i thought the gameplay was good, atmosphere is excellent. unfortunately i found that the game was far to repetitive for my liking. still good, just not anywhere near top of my list. it's definitely worth playing.

Two of my friends played through part of the game, but never finished it. They gave praise to many aspects, but not the gameplay. They said it was very cinematic but didn't have enough real actual gameplay, and the combat needed to be deeper. I forgot what else they said. I've never played the game so I have no idea wassup with it, but I will probably give it a whirl one day. I've played some of Ninja's Theory's past games and they were neat but never really grabbed me.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
Back