Sound card vs. USB DAC

FWIW I'm using a MOTU M2 (newest version) and Adam Audio T5Vs, I couldn't be happier. The T5V are roughly comparable to the JBLs you're using. I set my windows volume to 95% and use the DAC volume controls. My T5Vs on-board amps are set to slightly above 0dB (id say +4 ish), and if I crank the MOTU they get plenty loud for all but house party level listening while staying clean. There is definitely headroom, but I'm not interested in 90+dB listening.

For gaming or quieter listening I have a pair of Beyer TYGR300 R headphones and the MOTU can drive them to uncomfortably high volumes, although to be fair they are low impedance cans.

Maybe you could get some dough back from that Bifrost and try a MOTU or Focusrite that will have on board separate volume control for balanced TRS outputs and XLR/TRS inputs for some extra versatility. Maybe you'll hear a small difference in quality between the MOTU M2 and the Bifrost, but I really doubt it. If it turns out you're happy with a MOTU, the money saved would go a long way toward future speaker upgrades.

Last edited:
What's the difference between a sound card and a USB DAC?
The main difference between them is latency and stability with multi-channel audio. You get dropouts, loss of sync, much higher latency (if you use it for any sort of production with DAW/VST).
For eg. I can run 16x channels audio with 2ms latency and zero dropouts if I use my PCIe soundcard with ASIO drivers. I struggle to get a stable audio stream without glitching at under 16ms with USB.

If you're just using it to power stereo desktop speakers then get a USB. If you're doing any sort of music work then get a PCIe card.

It should be fine, doesn't get much simpler than that. They even use a multi-layer PCB -- others might have used jumper wires or no PCB at all...which would be okay, but not great.

Technically speaking it's a simple attenuator circuit, the expensive parts are the case (metal) and the POT (has to potentially handle high current/voltage for extended periods, and endure wear from being adjusted).
Yeah, in the past I ran into issues where the pots were garbage and didn't have even leveling through the range, my magni was like that for the first bit of its control. It's always been a bit of a plague IME and why some vendors go for digital controls instead.

Yeah, in the past I ran into issues where the pots were garbage and didn't have even leveling through the range, my magni was like that for the first bit of its control. It's always been a bit of a plague IME and why some vendors go for digital controls instead.
I'm done with Schiit. My Magni and Modi are both falling apart and I quite literally never touch them. Except I have to now more and more to fiddle with connectors and knobs just to get them to operate. The Modi just likes to disappear from Windows from time to time. Reseating the USB cable sometimes brings it back, sometimes doesn't. I have to hold it correctly. Magni's volume pot is scratchy, but this seems like a common Schiit issue. The gain switch unless you hold it just right for a second will cause the right channel be essentially half volume. The power switch will only sometimes turn it on.

I have been weary of the Sys order I did because I made the order on impulse (without any real research) once I found out I couldn't control the DAC's volume in macOS natively. I have been discussing the Sys on the ASR and Head-Fi forums. The basic consensus is that it might not be the best match for my studio monitors for complete 1:1 transparent audio quality vs. connecting directly to the DAC without the Sys in the chain. I can link the discussions if you want to read it yourself. I basically want to step up to the active Saga+ to control the volume.

I had been bugging Schiit to cancel the Sys order and they finally accepted.

1713969586454.png

That's the wild-tier level of audiophiles that I'll just never be down with. There is no way in hell i'm going to tell the difference. Everybodies got to have a hobby, I guess. Just don't be the fool in the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted".

That's the wild-tier level of audiophiles that I'll just never be down with. There is no way in hell i'm going to tell the difference. Everybodies got to have a hobby, I guess. Just don't be the fool in the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted".
I myself am more sensitive to sound than video. I put a little more into that part of my pc, but not crazy imo. I have a sound blaster ae5 out to a magni for my headphones or mackie speakers. My monitor is a chinese brand 1440p lol. My wife has a samsung 4k hdr monitor and sound blaster pebble speakers.

Back