Simple program to sync a folder across two PCs (not using cloud!!)

Sumanji

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

I'm looking for a simple program that will keep a folder of personal documents synced across my Desktop and Laptop.

I do NOT want to use any cloud based solutions - just a simple program I can manually run every few days / weeks to sync the folder (and check before files are overwritten etc.).

Right now I just manually copy files between the two using a USB...!

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Su

Last edited:
A program to sync over LAN?

Rsync can do that for free. It does take a little bit of reading to get it setup, but it’s handy, works well and is free.

Not looking for a NAS or anything complex like that.

It's just for a folder of private documents that I don't want in the cloud, but I do want the same folder to be periodically mirrored across my laptop and desktop.

Right now I just manually copy files between the two using a USB...!

Hmm, looks like there are many incarnations of rsync, but mainly Linux focused...?

I use Puresync for general backups. I would imagine you could make that work in your situation.

i could have sworn that windows could do this on its own but it looks like you now have to use one of those suggestions ^^^

I've been using "foldersync" on android, think I have syncthing set up on my pc but not sure.

Foldersync works well, but takes a bit of learning. rsync (and programs/scripts which use it) is probably more robust.

I use Allway Sync 'n' Go to run offline backups of my user data. Could be used to sync files (has a 1 way and 2 way option).

Back