Shucking still a thing?

Fritzz

[H]ard|Gawd
Need to add to my storage server and last time I did I shucked a couple of WD Elements 8TB drives. Tried to search around and it seems most of the conversations around them stopped a couple years ago. Plus I haven't looked at drives since the last time I tore apart one from Best Buy.

After looking around here's about the best dollar per TB I can find, at least for WD drives:

WD Elements 16TB external drive $17.50/TB. I'd assume these are the same 5400 RPM red drives they have always been.
WD Red Plus 14TB internal drive $18.57/TB. 7200 RPM variant.
WD Red Pro 20TB internal drive $19.00/TB. 7200 RPM

So go for bang for the buck? Really just using for mass storage, no RAID, just JBOD.

Will price compare some Seagate drives as well, I don't have a brand preference.

With the related caveats, certainly. Keep in mind this will drop your warranty from 3-5 years to 1 year. You get no guarantee of a particular drive or speed, just capacity. Keep in mind that some external drives use binned drives that while meeting the performance of an external may not reach the full speed potential of a commercial internal drive.

Yikes, using 16TB disks in JBOD scares me 😨 the data can't be that important?

I'm finally having shucked drives die on me... 7 years and well over 100TB worth of writes later.

I need more hard drives.

Used enterprise SAS and SATA drives are under $10/TB. I just use parity and buy an extra drive for cold spares. I've had one failure in 8tb plus sized drive in last 3 years.

Used enterprise SAS and SATA drives are under $10/TB. I just use parity and buy an extra drive for cold spares. I've had one failure in 8tb plus sized drive in last 3 years.
Yeah, used enterprise drive I think are my new go too. Just a bit easier, a little cheaper, and while I won't know exactly how long they've been used for, the quality of the drives themselves will likely make up for that.

Yeah, used enterprise drive I think are my new go too. Just a bit easier, a little cheaper, and while I won't know exactly how long they've been used for, the quality of the drives themselves will likely make up for that.
Where do you buy them? eBait?

Why do you say that? Genuinely curious. I've been in Datacenters for a very long time. The majority of enterprise drives I see are Seagate and they usually hold up.
Maybe because you only deal with enterprise editions?

I thought I said it in a previous post (but I've left posts dangle when a call comes in & then rebooted before it's posted) but the ONLY (spinner) HD's I've EVAAAAR had fail = Seagate

I've owned a LOT of HD's as a biz owner & gamer - WD, HGST, Hitachi, Toshiba & some old Maxtor & LaCie & stuff I can't even remember.

The only FAIL drives I've ever had (3) were SG

I thought I said it in a previous post (but I've left posts dangle when a call comes in & then rebooted before it's posted) but the ONLY (spinner) HD's I've EVAAAAR had fail = Seagate

I've owned a LOT of HD's as a biz owner & gamer - WD, HGST, Hitachi, Toshiba & some old Maxtor & LaCie & stuff I can't even remember.

All drives fail. All manufacturers have bad runs. With very few exceptions (Such as the IBM Deathstar and the Seagate 7200.11) most drives are generally ok as long as you use drives correct for your particular workload.

With the related caveats, certainly. Keep in mind this will drop your warranty from 3-5 years to 1 year. You get no guarantee of a particular drive or speed, just capacity. Keep in mind that some external drives use binned drives that while meeting the performance of an external may not reach the full speed potential of a commercial internal drive.
Warranty on those externals are 2-3 years, My - Series and Blacks get 3 years and all other variants get 2.

1706226676619.png

1706226792235.png

I've had Seagate fail, but I've also had Maxtor fail, and I believe one Hitachi.

Where do you buy them? eBait?

ebay is better than Amazon these days IMHO. Better search and filters, better rating systems, better sellers, with the same amount or heck less conmen than Amazon. In fact just got some used drives in today, 32tb for 295.

1000002259.jpg

Back