See That Billboard? It May See You, Too

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you guys feel about this? It's not just that the billboard can "see" you. It's the fact that these companies have partnered with your cell phone provider for tracking info as well.

Pass a billboard while driving in the next few months, and there is a good chance the company that owns it will know you were there and what you did afterward. Clear Channel Outdoor Americas, which has tens of thousands of billboards across the United States, will announce on Monday that it has partnered with several companies, including AT&T, to track people’s travel patterns and behaviors through their mobile phones.

"No Honey, that Ashley Madison billboard is targeting the car behind us. He probably just has the same first name as me."

Clear Channel should just go somewhere and die for homogenizing American broadcast radio.

I like Erica Badu's statements in "Before the Music Dies", which is about Clear Channel.

Fuck Clear Channel,

"Before passage of the 1996 Telecommunications Act, a company could not own more than 40 radio stations in the entire country. With the Act’s sweeping relaxation of ownership limits, Clear Channel now owns approximately 1225 radio stations in 300 cities and dominates the audience share in 100 of 112 major markets. Its closest competitors — CBS and ABC, media giants in their own right — own only one-fifth as many stations. Source:Clear Channel: the Media Mammoth that Stole the Airwaves"

/On a side note, guess who owns Clear Channel? Bain Capital.

Last edited:
They will find that I didn't even notice their stupid billboard.

That REALLY sounds like it is worth everyone's loss of privacy, now doesn't it?

I mean, seriously, if people just top being stupid, and instead completely ignore advertising (or better yet, actively boycott anything they see advertised on any medium) things will improve drastically.

They will find that I didn't even notice their stupid billboard.

That REALLY sounds like it is worth everyone's loss of privacy, now doesn't it?

I mean, seriously, if people just top being stupid, and instead completely ignore advertising (or better yet, actively boycott anything they see advertised on any medium) things will improve drastically.

I'm surprised how it can be even legal to track a person through the phone without his consent. Even the police needs a permit to track someone and now advertisers do it at will?

How dare they. The phone network providers that is. How dare they allow advertising free reign to stalk you. Keep asking yourself, how dare they.

I'm surprised how it can be even legal to track a person through the phone without his consent. Even the police needs a permit to track someone and now advertisers do it at will?

How dare they. The phone network providers that is. How dare they allow advertising free reign to stalk you. Keep asking yourself, how dare they.

The thing is, - as disgusting as it is - cellphone providers have been selling your location data to the highest bidder for over a decade now. This is nothing new.

The only new thing here is that this data is now being correlated with billboard locations and content.

Back