Raptor Lake refresh

I was hoping to possibly go back to Intel for my next upgrade, but this refresh doesn't sound very good and I would likely have to get a new chipset for whatever follows it next year. I guess I will keep waiting and see what the next series of AMD brings and what Intel is rumored to have next year.

I was hoping to possibly go back to Intel for my next upgrade, but this refresh doesn't sound very good and I would likely have to get a new chipset for whatever follows it next year. I guess I will keep waiting and see what the next series of AMD brings and what Intel is rumored to have next year.

LGA1700 had a pretty good run, especially for those that wanted to hold on to their ddr4 a bit longer, but RTR(R) will likely be the end. AM5 has at least one more generation in it and DDR5 is rather cheap now. A 7600x or even 7500F is a good cheap start for a solid upgrade later.

I might get a 14900k - just to know that I have maxed out my motherboard's capabilities lol. And 6.2ghz from 5.3ghz is a decent jump.

I don't see the point of a price hike for such trivial clock gains. It would just drive everyone who's looking to upgrade to buy the 13900K instead.

I don't see the point of a price hike for such trivial clock gains. It would just drive everyone who's looking to upgrade to buy the 13900K instead.
Seems to be the tactic nowadays. Overprice the new stuff, to get people to buy all of the remaining old stuff.

Then, maybe drop the price on the old stuff. Maybe.

Given the news that RLR will officially support DDR5-6400, this implies IMC improvements. Does anyone think this will improve the 4-DIMM situation? Think we can now use all those flaccid slots on so many boards? I would love to grab a 2nd set of 2x16 and upgrade to 64GB, at XMP-6400/CL32. That would definitely incentivize a 14th-gen upgrade.

-bZj

Yeah maybe.. but might have imc improvements too.. idk. and more energy efficient overall.. That said I won't be lining up to throw down my $$ day one ... that's for sure.

Given the news that RLR will officially support DDR5-6400, this implies IMC improvements. Does anyone think this will improve the 4-DIMM situation? Think we can now use all those flaccid slots on so many boards? I would love to grab a 2nd set of 2x16 and upgrade to 64GB, at XMP-6400/CL32. That would definitely incentivize a 14th-gen upgrade.

-bZj
Raptor lake was a large IMC improvement over Alder Lake. And the 700 series motherboards also have better capability. I don't see why Raptor Lake wouldn't have a better IMC. Especially the K models.

Raptor lake was a large IMC improvement over Alder Lake. And the 700 series motherboards also have better capability. I don't see why Raptor Lake wouldn't have a better IMC. Especially the K models.
from my source, the IMC limit will still be around the same as i9 13900K so almost no IMC improvement compared to 13th gen.

FYI, 13th gen can do dram bench at ~8800mhz max, so the limit for 14th gen will probably be same.

Do you guys think a Noctua NH-D15 will be enough to cool a 14900k?
Only with the official Intel power limits set manually in the motherboard BIOS, IMHO. The trouble is, most if not all good Intel motherboards have their power limits set to "unlimited" or a very high value by default.

My thinking is I may go for the 14700K with my AK620 cooler. I have a few AIO's here, but would rather stick with air cooling if I do decide to upgrade.

Do you guys think a Noctua NH-D15 will be enough to cool a 14900k?

I have the Noctua U12A it's good for my 13700k I thinking of picking the non K 14700 just to be on the safe side but I might upgrade my whole motherboard to a 790 x still in a 690 without DDR 5. I know Ram speed make little difference in games.

Actual 14700Ks now up for presale for between $420 & $460.

Tempted....

-bZj

Nothing but rumors by crappy people like MLID. No one has one. The people who have samples of anything are all under very strict NDA. Wait until the chips hit release on the 25th.
Today, you mean?

My 7950X3D arrives today, so depending on the reception of the 14900k, I may have to send it back!

Today, you mean?

My 7950X3D arrives today, so depending on the reception of the 14900k, I may have to send it back!

14900K is identical to a 13900KS. A smidge lower voltage, but worse IMC since it isn't binned like the KS chips. Don't bother.

Refresh is up for sale at my microcenter, with even a small discount off MSRP

14000.jpg

with even a small discount off MSRP
Are they ?

Intel is pricing the Core i9-14900K at $589,
the $409 Core i7-14700K
14600k Pricing is once again the same as the Core i5-13600K/KF at $319

Lame refresh. I've been running a 14900K for 10 months now (13900KS)....LOL. Oh Intel how the mighty have fallen.
I agree that this "refresh" is subpar, but to say they have fallen is a bit of a stretch.

Back