President Signs Bill Making Internet Service Tax Ban Permanent

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yay! The ban has been made permanent. No more having to periodically renew the Internet Tax Freedom Act. Now all we need is a ban on taxes for online purchases.

While federal law has long blocked most states from collecting taxes on Internet service, that prohibition has to be renewed every few years. But today President Obama signed into law a new piece of legislation that makes existing bans permanent, and puts an end date on Internet taxes for the few states that still collect them.

Looking at Obama's record. Come on, there has to be a back door to this. BUT, it is a good cause and the tax does hurt the lower income disproportionately. So no tax on internet access is a correct thing to do.

Its insane how many people are blinded by the media and still think Obama is a trash president. Instead of jumping on a bandwagon, I would urge you to educate yourself.

Ummmm.... I would like to know what fantasy world you are living in.

1. Obama started his political career in the home of a domestic terrorist and is also the student of a radical "preacher".

2. Obama says he wants to "fundamentally transform" the USA. - Now what could that mean?

3. Fast & Furious - plan to induce outrage by state sanctioned gun trafficking to the Mexican drug cartels in the hopes that they would use them to murder US citizens. One border patrol officer lost his life because of this. Plan blown wide open by multiple sources.

4. Obamacare - "Your health insurance will be lowered by an average of $2500 per year" - umm no, healthcare is now worse and more expensive. The move towards a mandated one payer system (no competition) is not good

5. He now has said he will shut down Guantanamo Bay because it does nothing to help our security and only hurts our standing with other countries? Since when did keeping terrorists locked up not help out security? And now he is planning on bringing them to the US and putting them in a jail here. Oh yeah, that is a great plan.

He has also thumbed his nose at immigration law, brought the Zika virus to the US as well as Ebola.

He and Hillary also murdered (by refusing to do anything) multiple US citizens at the US consulate in Benghazi.

Need I continue?

Its insane how many people are blinded by the media and still think Obama is a trash president. Instead of jumping on a bandwagon, I would urge you to educate yourself.
I haven't seen nor heard of media for several years. Nice try. I only hear it from friends and family. Aaaaand If you hear anything second hand, you have to take it with a handful of salt anyway. Unless you have first-hand knowledge, anything you hear has gone through someone else's filter. Arguments are exempt. So I guess from your assumption that every single person doesn't have first-hand knowledge, I assume you do by your claimed eduction. But then we would be hearing it second-hand from you.

So, what else was attached to this bill? A long track record of evil says not good.

1. Obama started his political career in the home of a domestic terrorist and is also the student of a radical "preacher".

2. Obama says he wants to "fundamentally transform" the USA. - Now what could that mean?
I'm not throwing support for Obama, but the first and second "proofs" here, just show how fucking bat shit crazy people are at hating anyone who isn't part of "their" political view.

I'm not throwing support for Obama, but the first and second "proofs" here, just show how fucking bat shit crazy people are at hating anyone who isn't part of "their" political view.

Really... so you must be part of the crazy who follow "reverend Wright" and his outright crazy beliefs.

And... you really think that somebody who is good friends with a domestic terrorist wants what is good for US citizens?

I was more going in order of events even super captain obvious could spot a mile away. Apparently the general public is so stupid or willfully ignorant that they voted him in twice.

Reverend wright? the guy that said gd America? I am sure that qualifies

Michelle saying she is ashamed to be an American?

yeah okay...

Politics is a funny thing. It seems to be about the only subject that people carry with themselves the idea that they can do it better than x, y and z person. Every person thinks this way and yet it's not the case with things like sports, film making, or being a musician, for example.

Last edited:
Thanks Obama.
Really? The change was part of an amendment to a Trade Bill which Obama wanted badly and the change was put there by the Senate. But leave it to State run Media to give credit to the last person who deserved it.

From the outside looking in both of your major parties are super right wing. Your leftmost party would be ultra right conservatives up here in Canada. I don't understand how Americans are so blinded to this. You don't have any progressive parties.

I'm sure there's a word for a group of people that would willingly withhold healthcare from those less fortunate than themselves. I just don't think I should repeat it here. Your country makes me sick.

Politics is a funny thing. It seems to be about the only subject that people carry with themselves the idea that they can do it better than x, y and z person. Every person thinks this way and yet it's not the case with things like sports, film making, or being a musician, for example.
Really? Never heard of armchair quarterbacks? People yell at the screen watching ball games like it's going to do any good. Bands write their own versions of songs because they prefer it their own way. Like rappers thinking they can make old songs "better". I often think of ways I could add more lines in comedy movies. Or people who think a different ending would be better. I guess I'm not following you.

From the outside looking in both of your major parties are super right wing. Your leftmost party would be ultra right conservatives up here in Canada. I don't understand how Americans are so blinded to this. You don't have any progressive parties.

I'm sure there's a word for a group of people that would willingly withhold healthcare from those less fortunate than themselves. I just don't think I should repeat it here. Your country makes me sick.

Apparently you have absolutely no idea how stuff is run down here.

1. We have medicare and medicaid for the poor and the elderly who cannot afford regular health insurance. This system is abused by a huge number of people as well as fraudulent claims, etc.

2. Hospitals are required to provide care to whoever comes into the emergency room, regardless of whether they can pay or not.

3. Disability status has been lowered such that it is super easy to get on it and you will get tax payer money redistributed to you for the rest of your life.

4. "Less unfortunate" is not the same as "those who refuse to work and feel entitled to be given money that is stolen from those who actually work and provide for themselves and their families".

5. Where I am at, you can get government subsidized housing if you make less than $100,000 per year. This only makes more people get the sense of entitlement. I make less than 60% of the allowable limit and pay for everything myself... and the only debt I have is my mortgage.

So don't go saying that the US makes you sick when you have absolutely no real idea of how stuff is actually run down here.. or at least not for the reason you gave.

Really? Never heard of armchair quarterbacks? People yell at the screen watching ball games like it's going to do any good. Bands write their own versions of songs because they prefer it their own way. Like rappers thinking they can make old songs "better". I often think of ways I could add more lines in comedy movies. Or people who think a different ending would be better. I guess I'm not following you.

I know these people exist and to a certain extent, whether consciously or subconsciously, they know what they say isn't true. Sports-talk commentators or armchair athletes are where they are because they aren't actually athletes, for example: You know your buddy yelling at the TV is full of it because he has a beer gut and couldn't run 20 yards to save his life. The same goes with music and movies. Critics are everywhere but yet the proof that they speak non-sense, or are otherwise unqualified to speak their opinion, is in the fact that they aren't the ones making music or filming movies.

Politics on the other hand....well everyone really truly believes they are more qualified than the last person and will fight tooth and nail, regardless of facts presented, to get their own idea across. It's madness.

Really... so you must be part of the crazy who follow "reverend Wright" and his outright crazy beliefs.

And... you really think that somebody who is good friends with a domestic terrorist wants what is good for US citizens?

I was more going in order of events even super captain obvious could spot a mile away. Apparently the general public is so stupid or willfully ignorant that they voted him in twice.
Don't forget he's a secret Muslim, and he's not really a citizen because he can't produce a birth certificate worth anything!!!

I will agree on your last statement though, I mean after all people voted for George W Bush twice too, the general voting public are fucking moronic sheep and are easily swayed by a few key words, just look at all the support for Donald Trump after all.

I guess obama the terrorist can finally get one thing right in his entire presidency, obama is a lying clown who deserves the worst punishment known to mankind for his atrocities to mankind and for wasting the time and money of the American people and the world.

wow, you got to quit drinking the Drain-O :p Seriously though, there is no truly conservative party here stateside..

3. Fast & Furious - plan to induce outrage by state sanctioned gun trafficking to the Mexican drug cartels in the hopes that they would use them to murder US citizens. One border patrol officer lost his life because of this. Plan blown wide open by multiple sources.

4. Obamacare - "Your health insurance will be lowered by an average of $2500 per year" - umm no, healthcare is now worse and more expensive. The move towards a mandated one payer system (no competition) is not good

5. He now has said he will shut down Guantanamo Bay because it does nothing to help our security and only hurts our standing with other countries? Since when did keeping terrorists locked up not help out security? And now he is planning on bringing them to the US and putting them in a jail here. Oh yeah, that is a great plan.

He has also thumbed his nose at immigration law, brought the Zika virus to the US as well as Ebola.

He and Hillary also murdered (by refusing to do anything) multiple US citizens at the US consulate in Benghazi.

Need I continue?

You post highlights a significant bias and I'm 99% sure those of us who read it lost IQ points trying to figure out the logic behind it. But I seriously hope you realize that the fast and furious plan started in 2006. I'm sure you'll spin your hatred for this president and somehow convince yourself that as a senator of Chicago, he somehow came up with the idea, convinced the ATF in Arizona it was a good idea, and put the plan in motion.

Shutting down Gitmo is something a good amount of Americans wanted. It's not that we want terrorists roaming around, it's that our way of life in America has a significant basis in Justice and part of that is Due Process. Not everyone there is a terrorist, but you know how you create one? You lock someone's father up without charge or trial and expect no-one else to care or notice.

Lay off the koolaid and do some research in places that aren't slanted significantly to one direction.

I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Last edited:
I guess obama the terrorist can finally get one thing right in his entire presidency, obama is a lying clown who deserves the worst punishment known to mankind for his atrocities to mankind and for wasting the time and money of the American people and the world.

Right here are the kinds of things I'm alluding to in my previous post.

AK0tA here believes his statement. He will go to the grave believing this. And yet....has he ever held any type of political office? Does he understand exactly how many moving parts there are in government? Does he actually know the daily goings-on of any sitting president? Has he ever been in the position to make decisions for millions of people? The answer is no. He has no qualifications to speak to the subject. He reads content that suits him and likely ignores, or dismisses, content that doesn't. He doesn't have any political science or history background to justify any of what he is saying. Will he change his mind? Absolutely not.

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
We've gotten to the point that the less you know about a given topic, the more you're trusted by the right wing.

Climate scientist? You know nothing of climate science.
Historian? Lol please
Doctor? I know better what to do with other people's bodies
Statistics, studies, expert testimony? Lol, I saw this one person do this once, so I know more than these fools.

Right here are the kinds of things I'm alluding to in my previous post.

AK0tA here believes his statement. He will go to the grave believing this. And yet....has he ever held any type of political office? Does he understand exactly how many moving parts there are in government? Does he actually know the daily goings-on of any sitting president? Has he ever been in the position to make decisions for millions of people? The answer is no. He has no qualifications to speak to the subject. He reads content that suits him and likely ignores, or dismisses, content that doesn't. He doesn't have any political science or history background to justify any of what he is saying. Will he change his mind? Absolutely not.
I would be willing to bet that the loudest complainers spouting memes they saw on facebook, probably don't even vote let alone get any more active in politics. Hell they probably lie on their taxes lol.

I do like the idea of the tax ban, but nothing in this world is permanent, nothing. And they will just charge us for something else anyways lol.

This is the most correct statement in this thread. Everyone else must be from Texas.

I would be willing to bet that the loudest complainers spouting memes they saw on facebook, probably don't even vote let alone get any more active in politics.

This is the second most accurate statement in this thread.

And my label to the left is proof of the pettiness you get from Texas people when you disagree with their statements/political views. Hence why Texas sucks.

We've gotten to the point that the less you know about a given topic, the more you're trusted by the right wing.

Historian? Lol please
Statistics, studies, expert testimony? Lol, I saw this one person do this once, so I know more than these fools.

I'm just going to say that statistics is a tricky business. It's one thing that I feel somewhat passionate about because it seems like people are very easily mislead by "statistics". Long story short, there are a lot of "studies" out there that draw conclusions out of some survey's results. These conclusions utterly fail under any sort of deeper scrutiny, but many people still end up believing in these conclusions before they get debunked (and at times even after they get debunked). The thing is that people tend to trust more in quantitative "facts" more than qualitative arguments (at least in my experience). Even the people that don't understand statistics or how any of those numbers were gathered go "okay well this is telling me this, and I see a chart, so it must be true." I remember one time I was in an FF14 FC where some guy tried to honestly tell me that any quantitative argument using gathered numbers as such, was pretty much objective fact; this guy wasn't an idiot, either. I had to spend some time drilling into his head, "No, it could essentially be BS". Statistics are an insidious business. People have to realize that the only "facts" are that these numbers were gathered, under some certain conditions, and that's it (and if you don't know the exact conditions, then the results are practically dismissible). The conclusions that are drawn from any numbers have to be deeply inspected to get to any sort of truth.

As far as climate scientists, historians and doctors... The issue is that they tend to have conflicting beliefs. One will support this theory. Another one will support something else. It's kind of hard to know who to believe. Even though history is set in stone, its recording and interpretations are always in the air. Not saying I identify with throwing them out or anything, it's just that sometimes it's hard to tell whether some fact is definitive or not, even if it comes from the supposed "expert" of the time. You have to examine who the "expert" is backed by sometimes, too.

Alan Greenspan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you get to complex problems, oftentimes there is no easily observable, objective solution to the issue. Complex sciences are not as clear cut as "we are observing this, hence this theory must be true".

And my label to the left is proof of the pettiness you get from Texas people when you disagree with their statements/political views. Hence why Texas sucks.

Lol....that's kinda funny actually. That seems more like a case of you biting the hand that feeds rather than a Texas thing.

But I get it, it's cool to hate Texas.

I would be willing to bet that the loudest complainers spouting memes they saw on facebook, probably don't even vote let alone get any more active in politics. Hell they probably lie on their taxes lol.

Exactly. Why is politics the only subject that gets opinions from everywhere, even people that couldn't care less to try and actually make a difference?

You will never, for example, see a full blown non-circular argument about something like sports when one of the parties doesn't even watch/follow sports. But ignorance in politics seems to be accepted. Hell, it's the fuel it runs on.

Wow, a bill actually made it to his desk to sign. How about that.

It wasn't Obama's idea, so of course it did. If Obama had said "I have an idea", it'd be shot down before he even said what the idea was. I have little love for Obama, but the Republican's have lost all my trust. If the only reason they won't support something is because it comes from Obama, regardless of what that thing is, then they aren't doing their job right. I support them disagreeing, and that's how it should be. But, disagreeing just because of who's saying it? Come on. I need a better reason than that.

Obama is a typical president. You can make a list of good things and bad things throughout his years in office - just like every other president out there.

Historian? Lol please

oh RLY?

climate scientists = known data forgers
historian = nothing new here
doctors = don't eat eggs, butter, or bacon in the 80's 90's, now it's good for you
statistics = anything you want them to...

More like Al Gore "wrote" a book about climate change and every conservative in the country all of a sudden became an expert on CO2 effects in the atmosphere, how plant life reacts to CO2, how solar activity affects the climate of Earth, etc etc... And as the internet became more common place, so did the number of self proclaimed experts.

Now I'm not saying Gore's book was right (or wrong) but there is a definite correlation to how passionate people become about a subject because someone from the other side of the aisle (of your political party) puts anything out there. And just to make everyone feel better, democrats & liberals do it too :p

Apparently you have absolutely no idea how stuff is run down here.

1. We have medicare and medicaid for the poor and the elderly who cannot afford regular health insurance. This system is abused by a huge number of people as well as fraudulent claims, etc.

2. Hospitals are required to provide care to whoever comes into the emergency room, regardless of whether they can pay or not.

3. Disability status has been lowered such that it is super easy to get on it and you will get tax payer money redistributed to you for the rest of your life.

4. "Less unfortunate" is not the same as "those who refuse to work and feel entitled to be given money that is stolen from those who actually work and provide for themselves and their families".

5. Where I am at, you can get government subsidized housing if you make less than $100,000 per year. This only makes more people get the sense of entitlement. I make less than 60% of the allowable limit and pay for everything myself... and the only debt I have is my mortgage.

So don't go saying that the US makes you sick when you have absolutely no real idea of how stuff is actually run down here.. or at least not for the reason you gave.

WHAT A MAN WHAT A MAN! Every post you've made is SPOT F'ing ON.

Historian? Lol please

And outside of politics, Engineers. They're very good at telling other people how to do their jobs.

Holy crap, this might be the only thing Obama has done that actually is positive for the people.
< $2 gas. Thanks Obama.

Anyways in regards to no tax on internet, that's great. I just hope the ban doesn't get removed some years down the line.

Back